Turn signal lamp replacement

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
PeterP11c
Level 2
Level 2

Turn signal lamp replacement

Post by PeterP11c »

Hello guys,
I was away for a long while and upon return and restarting my Scorpio, I noticed that front left turn signal lamp was sitting loose and moving on touch. It was an old lamp that I repaired last year using J&B Weld epoxy and it seemed to work for awhile. Yesterday, something prompted me to take advantage of a good weather so I put my car in the alley to check on the lamp. Glad, that I did because the plastic handle that holds the attaching wire was pretty much torn out. I had a spare second hand lamp for such an occasion. What looked like a one minute job, in true Scorpio fashion turned into frustrating 30 minutes. First the wire kept falling of the housing, I bent it a few times trying to get a better hold, no go. Put a piece of heavy duty electric tape at the end and that helped. Second, for some reason the lamp housing wouldn't fit into place. The two plastic fingers have a corresponding holes in the mounting bracket at the side of a main headlight housing. I put the top one in but the bottom one is not budging. Brittle as they may be, I left it as is and stretched the wire to hold the lamp in place. Pushing and twisting didn't help so presently my lamp has a gap at the fender side that looks like "you know what". Remember facing an identical issue while replacing the right turn signal lamp. Actually I had to remove the headlight unit in order to get the visual on the fitting of the plastic fingers with the holes. For now it works, but it is ugly, I was hoping for a way of not having to remove the headlight. No such luck. Weather permitting will revisit the issue in the coming weeks. BTW, and this is unexpected. While abroad, I wasn't able to load the Scorpio Forum page. Every time I tried, I got a connection error message!?. So, there must be some form of a software protection denying access to out of country visitors.
I am a little slow these days with my Scorpio "to do" list. Still have the rear window motor to change and rear bumpers at the suspension coils plus two vent electric motors, odometer gauge and display cover panel. Also need to look at the rear spoiler central panel as it carries two ugly cracks across. Haven't seen any offered on E-bay for a long while.
Regards,
PeterP11c.
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Turn signal lamp replacement

Post by Bob Weir »

Hi Peter

For parts and info your best resources are Russ @ Rapido, Jeff @ Merkur Midwest, Mike @ Merkur Depot, a WTB in the Scorpio Classified forum. and our members.

You wrote
"While abroad, I wasn't able to load the Scorpio Forum page. Every time I tried, I got a connection error message!?. So, there must be some form of a software protection denying access to out of country visitors."

I'll forward your info to web admin.

Bob