Smog test problems

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
PeterP11c
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Smog test problems

Post by PeterP11c »

Left it in the hands of my mechanic. Will advise accordingly. The positive thing is, I located a spare PFE sensor in my bags of goodies. One less thing to buy.
PeterP11c
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PeterP11c »

OK, gents. Passed the dreaded CA smog test with good numbers. They didn't replace any component, neither EGR, nor PFE. Did a clean up of the EGR valve and metal passages and checked the vacuum lines leading to. Cost me some bucks going between shop and test stations but am dread free for another two years. Comes a sunny weekend I will dismantle rubber hoses coming into manifold and do a clean up of the manifold itself. It's been a long while since I did the last one.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Good to hear. It gets hot on the sides of the engine, so often the vacuum lines can get hard and leak. Often just trimming the end off and refitting resolves the issue.

One thing to watch out for is the fuel lines that jump over from the fender well to the engine. They go above the hot exhaust manifold and start to get brittle and crack. I replaced mine because they were starting to look pretty scary.
Specialization is for Insects
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

brokencase wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:05 am
One thing to watch out for is the fuel lines that jump over from the fender well to the engine. They go above the hot exhaust manifold and start to get brittle and crack. I replaced mine because they were starting to look pretty scary.
I second that..Some years ago driving I began to notice a tinge of gasoline odor. Scary. So, after inspecting the supply hose to the FPR I replaced the rubber section securing it with fuel injection hose clamps. The return hose looked fine.

YMMV
Last edited by Ed Lijewski on Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
PeterP11c
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PeterP11c »

Well, OK. Will be on the look out for fuel lines. For now, I just want to enjoy my hard won victory over DMV insane regulations.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Serendipity/coinkadink. On the FB Ford Granada and Mk3 Scorpio Forum today posted by a Brit:
Screenshot_20220220-195828_Lite.jpg
Screenshot_20220220-195828_Lite.jpg (775.19 KiB) Viewed 2301 times
YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
PeterP11c
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PeterP11c »

This picture brought me another flashback. Now, I recall an incident way back in 95 when my fuel line leaked. The dealer wanted in excess of a 100 dollars for a spare. I had an accident playing tennis and sprained my wrist, so the repair was out of question. Fortunately a friend of mine came by, took me to a store and we bought clamps, hose and metal adapters. I watched as he did the repair in under 10 minutes and under 10 bucks. Old memories. :oops:
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Somebody replaced the Brit's fuel lines previously and used the wrong type of hose clamps.
Specialization is for Insects