Headlight washers

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Headlight washers

Post by brokencase »

MarkM wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:24 pm
I think that's jumping to conclusions. It seems more likely to me that a previous owner brought the Scorpio with him to Russia and later sold it there. Vovan can elaborate if he wants. On a tangent from the point of the discussion though.
In either case, it is astounding to me that anyone would ship a Merkur Scorpio to Russia given that Euro Scorpios were made in much larger numbers and presumably more readily available. Not to mention the fact that a 24v Cosworth might be obtained.

I was coming out of a convenience store a few years ago (I am in Pennsylvania btw) and some guy was staring at my Scorpio in disbelief. He had spent the earlier part of his life somewhere in the Balkans. He reminisced and said something to the effect "Back in the early 90's if you owned a Scorpio in that part of the world you felt that you were doing OK in life" He said he owned one when he was in his 30's.

One may notice that many of the contemporary spares available online come from Russia and the Balkans. You have to search for "Ford Scorpio"
For example there was an ebay vendor in Russia selling side window rain guards, I also bought a temp gauge sensor from Lithuania though ebay.
Specialization is for Insects
MarkM
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MarkM »

I was thinking along the lines of either US military or US diplomat that owned it at a previous duty station and was then assigned to Russia. I could easily see someone working in DC or at a US military base buying a Scorpio here and then getting a job change that sent them overseas. I believe shipping for your personal vehicles is typically covered in a move like that.

Interesting observation on the spare parts. There's probably some history there too.
Mark
Vovan

Post by Vovan »

My Scorpio was brought to Russia in the 90s. Then it can be done very cheaply. I also wondered why the Scorpio was brought from the USA, because it was easier to bring it from Europe, but I was told that at that time cars were cheaper in the USA than in Europe. We have quite a few Ford Scorpio and almost no Merkur Scorpio. Merkur is valued for its stronger body, rich equipment and climate control. Merkur car is rare, so I think changing its appearance is a bad idea.
Vovan

Post by Vovan »

Today it is very expensive to send Merkur from the USA to Moscow. Customs payments will be around $13,000. It just doesn't make sense.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

MarkM wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:09 am I was thinking along the lines of either US military or US diplomat that owned it at a previous duty station and was then assigned to Russia. I could easily see someone working in DC or at a US military base buying a Scorpio here and then getting a job change that sent them overseas. I believe shipping for your personal vehicles is typically covered in a move like that.
That's how my cousin-in-law was able to send his Mustang to Germany when he was stationed there (some years back).
Vovan

Post by Vovan »

This is my Ford Scorpio, it has the poorest equipment. I bought it because its body was in good condition. I have big plans for him. If I succeed, it will be the best Scorpio in the world)) But for now I'm busy with Merkur.
MarkM
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MarkM »

It looks nice. Thanks for posting the pictures!

I'm also a fan of the 7-spoke wheel design.
Mark
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Anxiously awaiting pictures of Vovan's imported Merkur Scorpio...
Vovan

Post by Vovan »

brokencase wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:52 pm Anxiously awaiting pictures of Vovan's imported Merkur Scorpio...
Now it looks like this:
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Wow! A full restoration is underway. Amazing.
eaton53
Level 6
Level 6

Post by eaton53 »

brokencase wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:38 pmWow! A full restoration is underway. Amazing.
Yeah, not something you'd see too much over here, if ever.
You must post photos when it is done.
Vovan wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:06 pmToday it is very expensive to send Merkur from the USA to Moscow. Customs payments will be around $13,000. It just doesn't make sense.
More than the car is worth.
Mark Copeland - I'm 50 miles west of Kewanee, IL

'89 XR4Ti
Car was the 2014 MCA Merkur Preservation Award Winner
'89 Scorpio
This one has a very bright and shiny future.
Proud member of the Iowa-Illinois Merkur Owner's Association since 2015. :cheers
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Wow, now that's commitment! Did you do all/most of the disassembly?
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

FWIW, I saw where there were around 1,500 XR4Tis and 150 Scorpios registered in the US. I believe this was from someone who worked for a company that made after-market parts for vehicles, so knowing the potential market size would be important.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

DAReese wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:46 pm FWIW, I saw where there were around 1,500 XR4Tis and 150 Scorpios registered in the US...
Geez thats seem low. I'd hate to think there were that few left; that's about 97% loss of all XR's sold here. On the other hand (back to the same ol' argument of value vs. desire) that really ramps up the exclusivity/rarity factor. I guess you could say the same about '64.5-'66 Mustangs though. What was it, 'bout a million sold in that period, but how many really are left if you take out the concours/Barret-Jackson examples?
Vovan

Post by Vovan »

john keefe wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:30 pm Wow, now that's commitment! Did you do all/most of the disassembly?
Yes, I did all of the disassembly. I also completely disassembly the engine and restore it now.
Last edited by Vovan on Sat May 07, 2022 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.