Possible float switch substitute

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Possible float switch substitute

Post by brokencase »

I saw this and thought it might be a good substitute for Scorpio overflow and washer tank float sensors.
One would only have to work out the rubber seal portion, possibly 3d print something in polyurethane. Or it may be making a simple spacer.

https://www.allelectronics.com/item/flw ... tor/1.html

In the printed catalog they indicate the part is made of polypropylene, which would work fine in the applications.

It comes with the reed switch like the Scorpio, but also has an extra thermistor if you wanted to measure temp in the overflow tank.
Specialization is for Insects
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Possible float switch substitute

Post by brokencase »

My windshield washer float is not working. Probably the float portion has come loose. In the past I have re-attached but I'm tired of this issue so I bought a pair of the aforementioned float sensors from All Electronics.

Seems like a better part than the original. Tough Nylon and Polypropylene plastics. Just need to work out the rubber seal portion. The thermistor measured 11.k at 71F ambient, although I don't need to know the temp of the washer fluid, so I will probably just cut those leads off. I suspect the thermistor drops in resistance as the temperature goes up.

I'll see what it takes to adapt the seal and if I end up 3d printing polyurethane I will post the model on thingiverse.com
float_sensor.jpg
float_sensor.jpg (118.4 KiB) Viewed 8476 times
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Well, it turns out no adapter is required but only some turning on the lathe. I basically cut the threaded area on the new sensor down to 0.68" like the original sensor. The overall length of the new sensor is longer but it causes no interference problems inside the tank and the float will work fine. As you can see in the picture It appears the float on my old sensor is "rotted". It does not "float" anymore. Perhaps another solution would be to 3d print a new float that would accept a small magnet.

I applied silicone grease to the outer side of the grommet so it would pop back into the tank easily. I used a smear of silicone sealant around the turned portion of the sensor to avoid any leak, but that may have not been necessary since it is a tight fit.

Cut, swap, solder and shrink wrap on the old connector.
old_new_floats.jpg
old_new_floats.jpg (114.76 KiB) Viewed 8466 times
float_inside.jpg
float_inside.jpg (88.39 KiB) Viewed 8466 times
Last edited by brokencase on Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

The area under the tank was a mess. Need to take some time to detail my engine compartment in the Spring.
One of the mounting screws to the fender wall is difficult to reach near the overflow tank. I notched the tab on the tank so I could pre-set the screw and then snap the tank over the screw. This will make removal for cleaning in the future easier. I then tightened it with needle nose pliers. Naturally the connector contacts got an application of Koprshield. I painted the exposed side of the sensor with some fast dry flat black paint to keep a stock look to it. Total project time was about 1.25 hours.

Strange thing though, after I started the car. The washer fluid light flashed for about 25 seconds and then went out. Is that normal? I guessing the lamp module was "re-adjusting" since the washer light has been on for a few months.
dirt_behind.jpg
dirt_behind.jpg (248.24 KiB) Viewed 8465 times
notch_it.jpg
notch_it.jpg (99.37 KiB) Viewed 8465 times
all_done.jpg
all_done.jpg (151.63 KiB) Viewed 8465 times
Last edited by brokencase on Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Oops. Looks like I missed something. It appears there are two resistors that need to wired into the switch harness.
See below. On the old float switch I measured 1378 ohms with the switch open and 180 with the switch closed. Therefore the resistors required are as shown below.

This is why I am getting the flashing light at startup. The lamp module is complaining. Should have referred to the EVTM before I delved into this.

I'll fix it tomorrow.
floatres.jpg
floatres.jpg (35.36 KiB) Viewed 8455 times
Last edited by brokencase on Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

All fixed... Dash light no longer blinking. Took me a little longer but if I had to do it all over again the whole project would only take me a about a half hour. I bought two of these float sensors. Saving the other for when the radiator overflow sensor goes bad. Not a "drop in replacement" but a pretty easy substitution that will probably outlast the stock float sensors.
Back to Scorpio bliss...
res_div.jpg
res_div.jpg (65.44 KiB) Viewed 8432 times
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

All Electronics is going out of business in August. So if you want one of these float sensors you better get them before they disappear.

They did drop the price to $1.75

https://www.allelectronics.com/item/flw ... tor/1.html
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

All gone.