WTF is this

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
ScorpioCDN
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ScorpioCDN »

Funny coincidence,

Yesterday evening I heard a rattle at transmission level and a rubber parts was projected on freeway pavement. It looked like a rubber part and the prop. shaft decided it was superfluous on the car. At home I checked and at first sight I saw nothing abnormal, excepted a slight crack in guibo, I will replace it. My two cents questions, are: shall I replace the guibo with a polyurethane one? This latter is more expensive. Transmission mount is it that thing at rear of transmission in the center and shall I replace something else. The tricky things will be to find what is this rubber block the scorpio lost.
Cheers
J.G.C.
Jag XK120
2-Jag XJ6
Triumph TR6
MGB-GT
MGA-Coupé
Scorpio 1989
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

I was doing 115 mph one time when I heard a loud pop and saw a guibo chunk bouncing along behind me. :lol:
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
phild765
Level 6
Level 6

Trans mount

Post by phild765 »

On the Scorpio it is highly advised to change the trans mount the same time as the guibo. When one fails it ruins the other part. Some people buy only the guibo, and then come back and buy a second guibo and then trans mount because they thought they could save a few bucks initially.

Phil D
opmd.com
Check out our new Groove oriented web radio station: http://www.thebocx.com
ScorpioCDN
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ScorpioCDN »

May be it is a piece of guibo, I must check more carefully...

Phil D from OPDM, tell me what is the benefit to buy an uprated guibo for an automatic Scorpio. Will it cause more vibration? Basically I want to know pro and con of theses two...

Thanks,
J.G.C.
Jag XK120
2-Jag XJ6
Triumph TR6
MGB-GT
MGA-Coupé
Scorpio 1989
phild765
Level 6
Level 6

Guibo

Post by phild765 »

It won't cause more vibration there is no benefit in that. It will just last the life of your car, you won't have to worry about replacing that part again.

Phil D
opmd.com
Check out our new Groove oriented web radio station: http://www.thebocx.com
merk23literturbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by merk23literturbo »

Here's how to align the driveshaft:
>>>
http://www.angelfire.com/pa3/lyzcoinc/alignshaft.html
>>>
German engineer: We custom fit every part in the Porsche engine.
Japanese engineer: You mean that you make every part wrong to begin with?
JK McDonald

Re: WTF is this

Post by JK McDonald »

Just a comment - I inspected my Scorpio motor mounts for deterioration and found except for some surface rust they were in good condition. Perhaps they had been replaced by the previous owner. When I replaced the Guibo doughnut and the driveshaft center support bearing I also changed out the two universal joints with new ones with grease zerks. After a couple of false starts during the alignment of the driveshaft I finally added a shim under the transmission tail support mount to bring everything back up to spec's. The rubber transmission mount looked almost new but must be sagging a bit - so I simply trimmed the outer edged of a thick round washer on two sides to fit under the transmission foot. After adding a couple of new washers and longer bolts to secure the driveshaft center support bearing everything aligned up great.

Michael