Brake upgrade complete!

Scorpio / Scorpio Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Brake upgrade complete!

Post by Chuck W »

:mrgreen:

Well, after getting the hardline fitting issue sorted out, the brake upgrade is complete.

What I used were the 12" JL9 Corvette brakes from an 89 'Vette.

I had to make my own adapters as the ones offered by other folks would not work in this application.

And installed.

As you notice one of the bracket attaching bolts is inserted from one direction and the other is opposite. This is because the caliper mounting bracket would hit the head of the bolt. What I was able to do for the lower bolt is thread the original hole and insert the bolt from the other direction. The hole in the spindle is close enough to tap it for a 7/16"-20 thread (which I happened to have a tap for since I used that for my modded companion flange for the AL d/s). Lock washer and lock-tite holds that one in place. Actually after this pic was taken I cut down that bolt a bit so it was flush.

Here is a pic of the set-up installed.

I had some braided stainless lines laying around, so I used those. I did have to do some cleaning of the flanges on the spindle and space things out to center up the caliper around the rotor, but it all worked out well. I may get some different caliper braket mounting bolts as the stock Vette ones are a bit too long and I had to space them out so the shoulder wouldn't bottom out.

Here is a pic with the wheel on. Looks much better than the old stuff.

I would have rather had the 13" stuff, but since I wound up getting the wrong calipers I just went with what I had. I took it for a test drive after bleeding the front brakes and the pedal feel is pretty much unchanged from before and modulation is still good. I need to address the back brakes now (at least bleed them and maybe lines), but I can wait for a bit on those. The fronts were warped and pretty much on their way out, so they needed to be addressed.
"Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farsical aquatic ceremony."
notDrPhang

Post by notDrPhang »

Where did you get the brake lines from?
1988 Merkur Xr4ti
1987 Honda CRX Si
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

Don't remember...I've had them for years. I just bought the correct adapters though at Earl's. They would have "generic" brake lines which would work. Nothing special or Merk specific.
Last edited by Chuck W on Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farsical aquatic ceremony."
ohnoes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ohnoes »

Hey, now you should do that for my Scorp. :wink:
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

ohnoes wrote:Hey, now you should do that for my Scorp. :wink:
You bring me your car and the parts and we'll make it happen :wink:
RW15241

Brake parts

Post by RW15241 »

Hey Chuck, Did you get my message about the hub rings???
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Brake parts

Post by Chuck W »

RW15241 wrote:Hey Chuck, Did you get my message about the hub rings???
Hrmmm..no I didn't. Did you send me a PM here? I guess just send me an email at cwarren@indy.net.