The Merkur Club of America Forums

The MCA forums are a public service offered by the club devoted to promoting the enjoyment and preservation of the Merkur Scorpio and XR4Ti
Merkur Desktop
It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:59 pm 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 11:33 am
Posts: 17
Location: Philadelphia/Kenya
Hello,

The oil leak in my car has been steadily growing and leaving spots in the driveway. Now my starter can start sometimes and just makes noise (like a hissing snake) most of the time (but no turning of the flywheel). I suspect the oil covered starter is the problem.

My question before I pull the starter, is there any chance that I can salvage the starter covered in oil or do I need to buy a new one?

Is Rapido the best place to buy a new starter?

I know I need to get the oil leaks resolved. I know I shouldn't ask this question, but is something like Bar's Leaks even a thought?

Thank you for your advice.

Aundrae


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:20 pm 
Offline
Level 8
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:29 pm
Posts: 5362
Location: Northeast Ohio
If you're going to have to replace the starter anyways, might as well replacen it with a mini starter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Lightweight ... 1846659327?

_________________
-Mike

www.merkurdepot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:52 pm 
Offline
Level 8
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:53 pm
Posts: 6603
Location: The Belly of The Beast
Sounds like possibly a weak battery; check that before doing anything else.

YMMV

_________________
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:54 pm 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 11:33 am
Posts: 17
Location: Philadelphia/Kenya
Thanks Mike for the mini starter info, sounds good if I need to change it.

Also I will check out the battery first before getting dirty.

Thank you both for the suggestions.

Aundrae


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:17 pm 
Offline
Level 4
Level 4

Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:29 pm
Posts: 382
Location: Montreal (Canada)
your oil leak, sounds like the turbo input or output line, thats leaking down onto the starter.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:29 am 
Offline
Level 8
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:53 pm
Posts: 6603
Location: The Belly of The Beast
More likely source of the leaking is the valve cover gasket.

Oil fires have sent several XRs to junk yards...

YMMV ;)

_________________
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:21 am 
Offline
Level 8
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:19 pm
Posts: 11126
Location: Scottsdale, AZ "Summer Is Coming"
Be sure to also check the turbo oil drain line. It is easy to replace the gasket without thoroughly cleaning off the old material from the mating surfaces because it's out of sight.

Clean it all off really well and see where the leak starts afresh.

_________________
This is my car, and these are my people!
Image
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST
2015 Edge


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:53 am 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 11:33 am
Posts: 17
Location: Philadelphia/Kenya
Sorry for being lazy about the oil leaks. Thanks for the advice, I definitely don't want my XR going up in smoke!

I will dry it up and see where the leak is.

This forum gives me much encouragement to keep this car going.

Aundrae


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:31 am 
Offline
Level 8
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:19 pm
Posts: 11126
Location: Scottsdale, AZ "Summer Is Coming"
kikmonster wrote:
This forum gives me much encouragement to keep this car going.


We were gonna call it "Merkurholics Anonymous," but thought better of it. :bounce

_________________
This is my car, and these are my people!
Image
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST
2015 Edge


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:02 am 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 11:33 am
Posts: 17
Location: Philadelphia/Kenya
Merkur Maniacs 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:04 am 
Offline
Level 4
Level 4

Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:07 pm
Posts: 373
Location: Detroit
You can get a starter if necessary at your local parts store or rebuilder.
As mentioned, go with the mini starter if you are going to change it.

I would also suggest not using Bar's leak in the system, nobody has said anything about that yet which I've seen.
I don't think that Bar's leak is a good idea on a turbo engine because it may clog the lines, and something else negative that I don't recall at this moment.

Check out the source if you can find it, there are many options unfortunately, but that is the best case. It may just be a leaky valve cover gasket/loose bolts.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:36 am 
Offline
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 11:33 am
Posts: 17
Location: Philadelphia/Kenya
Thanks for the advice regarding the Bar's Leak, I will kick that thought out of my head.

I am new at doing my car myself, but I am enjoying the learning process. I am sure the problem with the starter is the oil build up which is not letting the bendix meet the fly wheel.

I have most of the bolts out of the starter except the top bolt connected to the bracket, which as anybody who has ever taken out the original starter is not to fun...but will look for extensions as highly recommended by others on this friendly informative forum.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:30 am 
Offline
Level 8
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:19 pm
Posts: 11126
Location: Scottsdale, AZ "Summer Is Coming"
kikmonster wrote:
Thanks for the advice regarding the Bar's Leak, I will kick that thought out of my head.

I am new at doing my car myself, but I am enjoying the learning process. I am sure the problem with the starter is the oil build up which is not letting the bendix meet the fly wheel.

I have most of the bolts out of the starter except the top bolt connected to the bracket, which as anybody who has ever taken out the original starter is not to fun...but will look for extensions as highly recommended by others on this friendly informative forum.


Use an extension or two, come from in front of the crossmember-- very easy that way. Be careful not to crossthread the bolt that holds the front part of the starter (along with several other things) to the block on reinstallation. Don't forget to disconnect the battery. 8)

_________________
This is my car, and these are my people!
Image
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST
2015 Edge


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:23 am 
Offline
Level 4
Level 4

Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:07 pm
Posts: 373
Location: Detroit
John Brennan wrote:
kikmonster wrote:
Thanks for the advice regarding the Bar's Leak, I will kick that thought out of my head.

I am new at doing my car myself, but I am enjoying the learning process. I am sure the problem with the starter is the oil build up which is not letting the bendix meet the fly wheel.

I have most of the bolts out of the starter except the top bolt connected to the bracket, which as anybody who has ever taken out the original starter is not to fun...but will look for extensions as highly recommended by others on this friendly informative forum.


Use an extension or two, come from in front of the crossmember-- very easy that way. Be careful not to crossthread the bolt that holds the front part of the starter (along with several other things) to the block on reinstallation. Don't forget to disconnect the battery. 8)


Yep, do this and finger tighten the bolts when re-installing to get them started, then tighten them to specification. You can use a 2' extension and come in from the front/behind radiator.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:27 pm 
Offline
Level 8
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:53 pm
Posts: 6603
Location: The Belly of The Beast
Using a couple of 3/8' extensions and sockets enters those tight spaces from the front easier.

YMMV

_________________
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


  • Advertisement

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group