XR no start ;)

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
my8950
Level 4
Level 4

XR no start ;)

Post by my8950 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:15 am

Car has been sitting for a long time, ignition was one of many things that was disassembled by the previous owner who is no longer with us.

I’ve been tinkering with this car for a few months now preparing it to start.
Replaced the timing belt, installed TFI module, did some basic cleanup of engine, timing is aligned by marks on cam/crank.

I got a battery this weekend, put fuel in the car last night and gave it a shot.

No spark…I do have a tach signal, and I do have voltage at the coil.
The coil can still be bad, but I’m trying to rule out the distributor.
That leaves the TFI which is also questionable, I don’t know where it came from or if it worked before I got it.

I will come up with another TFI and coil to test as well just to see.

By seeing a crank signal, would that tell me that distributor is working as it should?

Grayson
Level 7
Level 7

Re: XR no start ;)

Post by Grayson » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:16 pm

It's possible that you have a bad distributor cap. Also, if you only tested one wire for spark, that wire could be bad.

my8950
Level 4
Level 4

Re: XR no start ;)

Post by my8950 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:46 pm

Grayson wrote:It's possible that you have a bad distributor cap. Also, if you only tested one wire for spark, that wire could be bad.
This is true, and yes only one wire was checked.
Although if just the one wire was bad wouldn't I get some love from the other cylinders?
I didn't get a hit on any while I was cranking a few different attempts.