Front suspension metallic click noise over bumps

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Matt01
Level 4
Level 4

Front suspension metallic click noise over bumps

Post by Matt01 »

Hey guys.

I have been having for as long as I can remember a metallic clicking sound when going over bumps. It is really weird. I feel like it is only coming from the driver side, but it might be coming from both sides.
Basically everything is new. I went wild with a torque wrench and touched everything I can see, and that didnt help.

I thought it was the top plate, Im running front coilovers, so I thought that maybe I had messed up the order of things.

this is how i have mine set up: spring spring perch, supplied washer, bearing, oem hat, oem bolt, then bushing, then mount and top bolt. Is that correct? Thats not my picture, but the set up is very similar except the final 3 pieces.

just to add to it, I dont hear the noise with the windows closed. only when they're open.
abomb1982
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Front suspension metallic click noise over bumps

Post by abomb1982 »

I had a similar issue turned out the sway bar bushings were bad.
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

are your coilovers adjusted low enough that the spring can unseat when you go over bumps?
Should be upper spring perch, washer (in your case), bearing, that OEM bell, nut (tight enough to bottom out), bushing, top plate, nut.
Matt01
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matt01 »

So i definitely have the right top mount set up.
The bushings are all new.

Im wondering if its not suspension related. Like something I cant think of that could cause a rattle.
Spaldino
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Spaldino »

Matt01 wrote:So i definitely have the right top mount set up.
The bushings are all new.

Im wondering if its not suspension related. Like something I cant think of that could cause a rattle.

Tie rods/ball joints? Do you feel anything when that sound happens?

a little more out there but it happened to me... i heard a clanking when braking or turning right. turned out my passenger brake pad sensor wire had been dangling and was clanging off of the inside of my new wheels. i was worried it was something big but i saw the wire dangling from underneath the car one day and i put two and two together.
88 Mono-white XR: Side exhaust, Walbro, MC2 Front Adjustable Coilovers, Rear Bilsteins, Full Poly bushings, MC2 Diff Mount, Rapido intercooler, Some sort of mild cam(?), Rear Disc conversion, 225s on 17x8 wheels.
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

Tie rods and ball joints would be the next thing i looked at after tightening down the coilovers.
Matt01
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matt01 »

i thought you had the answer in the other thread about when you said to drill out the bottom shock bolt for the cosworth coilovers, OEM is an M8, and the cosworth uses an M12, I thought maybe that was it. Anyway I did it and no change.

I found a loose brake line in the front, was missing its clip, no change.

Im thinking maybe a loose brake pad, worn out slider pins. Im going to investigate that today.
Matt01
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matt01 »

FINALLY found the problem. Looks like it has something to do with either the pad sitting loose in the bracket, I remember filing those pads a bit to fit them in. Or the infamous Rattle Clip, which I removed, cleaned up, rebent a little bit, and reinstalled.

Thanks for the help. Cant wait to do my front brake upgrade to be rid of all that junk.