Need turbo support bracket

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Lotus907efi

Need turbo support bracket

Post by Lotus907efi »

Anyone have a spare turbo support bracket lying about? This is the Y shaped bracket that bolts to the bottom two turbo to exhaust manifold studs and then bolts down on the block or motor mount somewhere. The car I am trying to reassemble is missing this piece.

Also anyone have a decent rear lower timing cover plastic piece? Or are all the good unbroken ones of these gone now?

Here is where I am currently at with the reassembly:

John Brennan
Level 8

Re: Need turbo support bracket

Post by John Brennan »

I have a support bracket. Shoot me a PM.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
dunhamr1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dunhamr1 »

I'm sure John hooked you up, I've got an extra turbo support bracket as well. Shoot me a PM if you're still in need.
-Ryan Dunham
1989 Merkur XR4Ti - nickname: "SheaXR4"
Daily: 2016 VW Golf R "Matti"
E-Street Autocross car: 2001 Mazda Miata
Old daily: 2003 VW Golf MkIV TDI, 200k+ mi

"Racing is Life. Anything else is just waiting." -Steve McQueen
Lotus907efi

Post by Lotus907efi »

Yes, I got one from John.
dunhamr1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dunhamr1 »

Good to hear! Moving things around, I actually found the rear of a timing cover, shoot me a PM if you're still looking for that.
-Ryan Dunham

Lotus907efi

Post by Lotus907efi »

While I was trying to assemble the new turbo support bracket on the bottom of the turbo I discovered why one of the previous mechanics who did work on this car in the past left this bracket off. It turns out the rod for the waste gate actuator fouls the bracket so when they installed the new T5/T4 hybrid turbo they decided to solve this by just leaving the bracket off. I also discovered that the diaphragm inside the actuator was no good so the actuator has to be replaced anyway.

I also discovered that they left the two extra stiffening brackets that run from the bottom of the engine block down to the leading edge of the transmission bellhousing off the car as well. So I am now waiting on these two brackets from John as well. I hope this is the last of the "missing" parts that I have to replace.

BTW, I bought the timing cover pieces I needed from Jeff at Midwest Merkur.
dunhamr1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dunhamr1 »

Ah yes, fouling issues, at least it's not the motor mount. I had to totally redesign and remake my wastegate actuator bracket when it was fouling on the motor mount while the turbo went in the car!

Glad Jeff had the parts, I'm not sure what we'd do without him....
-Ryan Dunham

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Glad to be able to help-- I had three turbo support brackets, so I even still have a spare!

I don't know the particulars of your setup there, but if there's a way to modify the bracket to clear the rod, I would do that.

One way I always modify mine is I grind a little bit of the raised edge off of the rearmost leg of the Y, close to the mounting hole, so that I can get a wrench on it and get some travel with it. Most ratchets/sockets are too deep, and without grinding it flat, you can't turn a wrench there worth a damn. Makes installation/removal a lot easier, as it's pretty tight in there.
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Lotus907efi

Post by Lotus907efi »

Thanks for the hint, John. I have the turbo and exhaust manifold still sitting on the bench so I am installing the bracket onto the bottom of the turbo before I bolt the whole thing to the side of the engine.
hbar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hbar »

Before reading this thread, I had no idea there was a turbo support bracket. My XR had a different turbo on it when I bought it and there was no support bracket. I"m just now in the process of restoring the original T3.

So, how essential is the support bracket? If I don't have it, will this put enough stress on other parts to cause breakage? I have a stainless header in place of the stock exhaust manifold.
Dan from Illinois
87 Merkur XR4ti, 5 spd, White, Summer driver
2014 Ford Focus SE, ECU tuner.
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

Flex pipes on the exhaust were not installed on the original setup. Imagine a 15' long pipe vibrating and resonating...
I'm using a Stinger header, cut apart and pieced back together for alignment purposes, braced and relieved, so far so good.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

A flex pipe section to "break the lever" Mike describes is certainly an option if your header/turbo combo won't allow fitment of the stock brace.
Some have fabricated braces and supports which pull or push from other locations, such as the exhaust manifold or valve cover bolts.
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

hbar wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:04 am So, how essential is the support bracket? If I don't have it, will this put enough stress on other parts to cause breakage? I have a stainless header in place of the stock exhaust manifold.
Especially with a header it's a good idea to have the bracket in place. If you slot the lower mounting hole you can pre-assemble everything and then just slide it into place with the lower bolt loosely screwed into place. That holds the weight while you get the header bolts fastened. Some do it the reverse way, slotting the two upper holes of the bracket.
Brad
hbar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hbar »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:04 am
hbar wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:04 am So, how essential is the support bracket? If I don't have it, will this put enough stress on other parts to cause breakage? I have a stainless header in place of the stock exhaust manifold.
Especially with a header it's a good idea to have the bracket in place. If you slot the lower mounting hole you can pre-assemble everything and then just slide it into place with the lower bolt loosely screwed into place. That holds the weight while you get the header bolts fastened. Some do it the reverse way, slotting the two upper holes of the bracket.
Great idea. I'll do that.
Dan from Illinois
87 Merkur XR4ti, 5 spd, White, Summer driver
2014 Ford Focus SE, ECU tuner.
blugg
Level 7
Level 7

Post by blugg »

dan your first wave of bits arrive tommorrow (which has the bracket). Your last parcel will arrive before end of week.
Jeff