Very Very Early XR4Ti

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Very Very Early XR4Ti

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

I've heard things about early 1985 XR's like they could have had a different turbo, possibly left over versions with old .63a/r turbine instead of the .48a/r turbine for example. This is hard to prove since many turbo assemblies were replaced at the dealer while under warranty. Take a look at this screen capture of the engine compartment from a youtube video of Motorweek's Spy Shots segment. How many things can you spot that look wrong?
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
jkxr4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Very Very Early XR4Ti

Post by jkxr4ti »

From the shock towers and master cylinder I would say that looks like a mustang engine bay. Definitely a lot different like AC lines, power steering reservoir, battery placement etc.
Jeremy Kemp

RIP: the Mutt….1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Ya looks really different. They show the XR4i and even call the new Merkur an XR4i and not XR4Ti. Seems possible the shot of the engine bay is from a completely different car. Here's the entire video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipMPchhpoq0
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Yea, that engine bay is either a Mustang or T-Bird with the early intake.
Brad
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

It was sort of false advertising. They call the segment "spy shots" and then show an engine bay from a car that is already available. Same thing with the shots of the Sierra. Interesting how they say Merkur number two will follow the following year (1986).
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

1983 T-bird turbo coupe engine and engine bay.
intrexin

Post by intrexin »

So I just got another Merkur after 18 years, a 89 this time. My first one was a 85 Auto. I keep looking at the turbo on my new 89 and going that looks ALOT smaller. I have the .63 AR turbo here somewhere in a box. So they definitely did use it in 85. But thats not what my engine bay looked like, it didnt have the Ford Turbo Valve cover or anything. Was pretty much the same(that I remember) except the turbo
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Like Mike says it was a T-bird coupe engine picture. They just wanted to show what the engine looked like so they used what they had. The "spy shots" segment was from 1983 so they did their best. But it is sort of false advertising showing a T-bird and a Sierra.