oversensitive knock sensor?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

oversensitive knock sensor?

Post by my8950 »

Can anyone shed any light on the truth to oversensitive knock sensor?
I am not a big fan of disconnecting it and leaving it off, it is there for a reason.

But, I recently am having an issue with the way the car runs when it is hooked up.
I am not running anything crazy, I believe about 14psi, intercooler, base timing at 10-11deg, always 93 octane fuel.

This year, when I started driving the car, I notice that when I go into boost, once it gets a certain amount, the car falls over and just doesn’t really pull anymore.
I did an experiment and disconnected it, drove easy for a few days and no difference. Then I step on it and it runs great and continues to pull.
Begin on the month I was on fuel from last year, so I thought that may be a possibility, so I ran it down to quite empty. Filled up with new and repeat the process.
Seems to be the same issue, so fuel isn’t an issue.

Leave it off?
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: oversensitive knock sensor?

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

On the '87/8 Turbo Coupe, the final iteration of development on the 2.3T engine, the KS was moved around the corner 90 degrees (plug points towards firewall). It's been suggested that it is less sensitive in that location. I want to say it was Roland who discovered this ~25 years ago.
Brad
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Interesting...The manifold I have still has it on the side pointing toward the Left side strut tower.
I am not sure, changed to Ranger camshaft recently, new valve seals, can't say that any of that would do anything for what I am experiencing.
I do know the Ranger cam runs out of steam equally as bad as the stock, but my stock was in really poor condition when I took the valve cover off, I couldn't put it back together with the original or a replacement, had to go roller.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

my8950 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 4:54 pm Interesting...The manifold I have still has it on the side pointing toward the Left side strut tower.
All the XR's are that way. Only the '87/8 TC's got the "new" location.
Brad
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Just unplug it. Especially if you have an intercooler.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Last night I moved the knock sensor to the rear of the intake manifold.
Nice that it's 100threads per millimeter... :(
But, it's in there, I'll try it out and see what happens.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Knock on wood...😉

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!