Hatch Lock Modifications

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Hatch Lock Modifications

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Metal sleeve mod.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Hatch Lock Modifications

Post by my8950 »

Did you make the sleeve? If not, what is it from?
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

I got the picture from Mike at the Merkur Depot. Someone sent it to him. It seems like some aluminum pipe cut to fit, but I don't have any other pictures or measurements. On my car I ended up just modifying the lock/latch so it would only open from the inside.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

It's a metal rod attached to the lock/latch with some safety wire. It would be pretty easy to attach this to an actuator. Then you could remotely open the hatch either with a hard wired button or a remote control.
Rainbow83

Post by Rainbow83 »

I think I'm missing some context here. What's the purpose of this metal sleeve mod?
Alex
03 2.4 Camry - 88 2.3T XR4Ti - 88 3.0 Aerostar
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

The pot metal housing usually breaks. By having the sleeve over it, it takes some stress off the housing and helps the lock continue to work properly.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

my8950 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:27 am The pot metal housing usually breaks. By having the sleeve over it, it takes some stress off the housing and helps the lock continue to work properly.
Yes. The part you touch when you lift the hatch is not real strong. The central locking setup, which was popular back then, locks and unlocks the passenger side and rear hatch every time the drivers door lock is locked or unlocked. That causes metal fatigue, just like bending a paper clip back and forth a bunch of times until it breaks. You will start seeing little cracks develop, then chunks will start to fall off of it. You can unplug the actuator in the rear hatch to help prevent this.
Rainbow83

Post by Rainbow83 »

Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like I'll be unplugging those wires for the central locking system. I like how I can unlock all four doors on my Camry with one key turn, but with the XR4Ti only having two doors, I don't see it being much use.
Alex
03 2.4 Camry - 88 2.3T XR4Ti - 88 3.0 Aerostar
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Rainbow83 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:40 am Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like I'll be unplugging those wires for the central locking system. I like how I can unlock all four doors on my Camry with one key turn, but with the XR4Ti only having two doors, I don't see it being much use.
Yours may already be broken (it's the pot metal lock barrel that cracks from the lever hitting it); see if it locks using the key.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!