How to get rid of the mustyness in XR?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Baldy_54
Level 2
Level 2

How to get rid of the mustyness in XR?

Post by Baldy_54 »

I have tried frebreze and it did not work. It sat for about 5-6 years and it is musty smelling as well as some water got in. Anything short of replacing all of the seats etc.?
boostfiend
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to get rid of the mustyness in XR?

Post by boostfiend »

Baldy_54 wrote:I have tried frebreze and it did not work. It sat for about 5-6 years and it is musty smelling as well as some water got in. Anything short of replacing all of the seats etc.?
Have you checked the spare tire well? Mine was carrying about two gallons of water when I brought it home.
Jon Moore - Daskustomwerk - Yakima WA

- Turbocharged machine creates another fiend -
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

pull the carpets up, see if the underlayment is wet.

another thing that works if you do have wetness --- take an extension cord out there and put in a dehumidifier for a couple days. you'll be surprised how much water it'll pull out of the car ;)
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
Baldy_54
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Baldy_54 »

boostfiend wrote:
Baldy_54 wrote:I have tried frebreze and it did not work. It sat for about 5-6 years and it is musty smelling as well as some water got in. Anything short of replacing all of the seats etc.?
Have you checked the spare tire well? Mine was carrying about two gallons of water when I brought it home.
You are so right Jon, the spare tire well had quite abit of water. I think I have the water under control. Have been opening the windows and letting the hot sun take care of some of the smell, really need something to kill the musty odor.
deathbypsi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deathbypsi »

An old trick I used to do on any used older car I bought was to turn the dash vents on cool,not a/c just cool and spray a disinfectant in the cowl vent while the blower motor was running and let it blow the Lysol through all the heater ducts.I got rid of some stink that way on a few cars.

And if you pull the carpet up and the padding is wet on the back side you would be best off to just rip it out because you will never get it to dry up.I am planning to pull my carpet out and rip the padding off my rug as well,then I will just lay some Dynamat or similar product on the floor to help with heat and noise.Then in the future I can wet vac the rug without fear of it staying soaked.
jkxr4ti
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jkxr4ti »

If you had that much water in the spare wheel well you should check the tail light gaskets. Odds are they are deteriorated and causing problems back there.
Merkur....Its German for Mutt....Mustang, Saab, Volvo, Lincoln, Contour, Cummins... and the list goes on.

Jeremy Kemp

1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Baldy_54 wrote:
boostfiend wrote:
You are so right Jon, the spare tire well had quite abit of water. I think I have the water under control. Have been opening the windows and letting the hot sun take care of some of the smell, really need something to kill the musty odor.
Thing is, Baldy, the high humidity in our area (until today) meant very little evaporation of whatver is in the carpeting even with the Sun shining directly on it.

Maybe turn your leaf blower on it, on a dry day like today, or on your shop vac reverse the air flow. Worth a try.

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
Baldy_54
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Baldy_54 »

Ed, I don't think there is any water in the car now, just the musty smell. Thought that maybe some of you might know of something that could be sprayed in the car to rid the smell. Was thinking of trying spreading some baking soda like they recommend using in the refrig. and then vaccuming it up. Worth a try maybe.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Baking soda will help-- leave an open box of it down there somewhere afterwards. Eventually, the smell will go away, since the source of it has been removed.
This is my car, and these are my people!
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed
2015 Edge 3.5 V6 Auto/Paddles
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

One of my cars came with a tire well full of water, too, as well as years of dog hair on the carpets, as the car had sat unused for two years. I don't remember if there was a musty inside odor then, but my approach re the carpets and trunk liner was to shampoo the crap out of them, using my home carpet shampooer (smaller than but like what you can rent from supermarkets). IIRC, I went over all carpeting twice; did the open door with full sunshine maneuver over 2-3 days, and Voila: clean carpets and no odor.

Worth considering in your situation.

YMMV 8) 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!