Stinkin VC Gasket... Please advise.

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
MerlinMerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Stinkin VC Gasket... Please advise.

Post by MerlinMerkur »

Aye so I followed advice and picked up a Ranger 2.3 VC gasket, and even checked the part numbers for:
Ranger 2.3, TbirdTcoupe, Must SVO, and 87 XR (mine).. all the same part numbers. They listed 1 cork gasket and 1 blue "premium" Felpro VC gasket for all 4 cars, so.. I got the premium, thats what was on there before in fact.

Get it home, unbox it.. remove VC.. looks exactly the same BUT...
stupid new one seems 2mm or so too long length wise AND over the front of the head/cam tower#1...
In fact.. so much that it "wrinkles along the side a tad (both) AND was next to impossible to keep in place under the VC at the front.. had to hold it in and clamp it down.. 2 weeks later.. stupid thing slips out from under the VC about half way back on the Exhaust side and smokes oil onto the EM...
Grr.

Anyone know why its 2mm 1.5mm?!... too long... did I get a defective one? The "one to use" IS the 92 Ranger (or so) Blue silicon looking w/wire ring one right?
I really dont want to even try the cork one.. I hate cork.

~Travis- TIA
~Travis
87.5 Mono XR- LA3, FMIC, Adj Cam, Gillis, CAI/Cone, +15% rates - Koni adj, Coss frnt/rr sways, rr brc., Ported manis, 3" DP w/dualz, PBRs, rear disks and enough gadjets and switches to make Batman jealous! And more comin! Speak up.
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

I've heard to stay away from the Felpro VC gasket and go OEM Ford.
Joe
1985 Nimbus Grey XR
2017 Ford Focus RS
salukixr4ti
Level 3
Level 3

Late model Ranger VC Gasket

Post by salukixr4ti »

Don't know the part #, but know it's listen in the Merkur tech. or Merk. Encyclopedia somewhere. The Fel-Pro is junk because it doesn't have the steel retainer built in. The Ford part is the only way to go.
This ain't no disco...It's Wichita.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

For only the 87-billionth time, the Ford gasket from the Ford dealer is the only one to get.
Brad
bw_krupp
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bw_krupp »

I followed Fnkbadfkrs advice on how to do a VC gasket (search Turboford, basically glue it down, wait a half day, then put the VC on). I also noticed the stock Valve cover itself would not sit right on those brass rings in the gasket. So I used the stamped steel one. No problems at all since.
MerlinMerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerlinMerkur »

Weeeell I did read BRAD!! but they didnt mention Ranger Ford OEM.. they just said Ranger.. it took this blunder to figure out... and of course your incessent(sp lol) "For the 87-billionth time"....
Idk... if you do the math... thats EACH XR ever produced "using" around...
lol, Im not wasting my time on that math :twisted: goonie, 87B is a tad high Mr. Crank!
You need to eat more red meat bro, itll inline a resistor in your "attitude KS" :D

Heh.
~Travis
87.5 Mono XR- LA3, FMIC, Adj Cam, Gillis, CAI/Cone, +15% rates - Koni adj, Coss frnt/rr sways, rr brc., Ported manis, 3" DP w/dualz, PBRs, rear disks and enough gadjets and switches to make Batman jealous! And more comin! Speak up.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Brad
Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W »

Obviously you didn't read.

Get the FORD Ranger gasket from a FORD dealer....

Simple enough.

As I mentioned in the thread Brad posted...
Go to a Ford dealer and get this gasket...

F57Z-6584-A

The last valve cover gasket you will ever need.....
"Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farsical aquatic ceremony."
vcallaway
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vcallaway »

bw_krupp wrote:I followed Fnkbadfkrs advice on how to do a VC gasket (search Turboford, basically glue it down, wait a half day, then put the VC on).
Waiting about an hour or so is all that is needed.

Been doing that for years, never had a leak.
Vince Callaway
espacef1fan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by espacef1fan »

What glue are you using?

Is the gasket still reusable after that?

I've been isntalling my motocraft dry myself...wiping off all the oil then using a little brake clean on a towel to clean both gasket surfaces to keep the gasket from slipping...
Adam Escott
Dothan, AL
89 XR with Outcast Body in red
Duratec build in progress(need cams and stand-alone)
vcallaway
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vcallaway »

For the XR I use a very thin bead of blue or black silicone on the head side only. I put a thin coat of oil on the VC side of the gasket before putting it on. This keeps the gasket from slipping when I put it on. I've had the VC off several times and no leaks.

On the Scorpio I use silicone on the VC side. I use some clips to hold it in place while the silicone cures. Scorpios are worse for leaks than XR's. The gaskets never quite fit right.
Vince Callaway
xr4man
Level 6
Level 6

Post by xr4man »

for the love of God, DON'T USE THE CORK GASKET!!!!

it likes to blow out on the side and spray oil on the turbo and catch on fire while the state inspector is taking it for a test drive.
ian the re-animator
DSPXR4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DSPXR4ti »

Hey Travis,

You just had a hell of a time with the gaskets on this car, would you speed it up with this car so we can here how much fun your having with instead of your problems :lol:

Ben DSP XR4ti
85 DSP XR4ti, 2009 Solo 2 National Champion, burns muffler, 3in exhaust, Mc2 Full suspension, 325 hps & 328tqr, GMR Intake, Wilwood brakes, Eaton LSD, stand alone ECU. Working on being SM National Champion.
MerlinMerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerlinMerkur »

Bah...
Ok fine Brad I see now lol...
Listen closely!!

I was WRONG!! HA!

Turns out I did read that very thread when my problems came about.. and was smart enough to write down the part number (which I ordered from FLM this morning and will be in tom morning so I can get to racing)
BUT, I didnt see/remember the part about...

/quote Chuck "Throw the cork one away...far, far away.....
Go to a Ford dealer and get this gasket...
F57Z-6584-A
The last valve cover gasket you will ever need....."

So yeah, I didnt read. Teachers said I was a little slow in gradeschool. Maybe thats why I drive a turbo now :P To make up for it Hah.

So .. the 92 Ford ranger Gasket, F57Z-6584-A is going on tommorrow afternoon. And since I read all the posts I also must:
1) Apply super gorilla mega glue to a alchohol cleaned head surface and VC
2) Goop the head surface with some black and blue neon silicon performance heat supressive sealant.
3) Watch a movie about cars and/or racing.
4) Drink an alcholic beverage (though not necessarily what I used to clean the head/VC lol) Isnt that ironic :P
5) Tell Ben how much fun Im having instead of whining.
6) Start another post that gets the old timers and moderators wound up.
(Im just kidding take it easy!! -Go for a drive :o

So heres how it failed.. I suspect this is very common.
Popped out the side...

And trying hard to slip out the front cam tower too...
~Travis
Frag
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Frag »

Also the torque for the valve cover gasket is like really wimpy. I think it's somewhere in the teens.

But yeah...

Ford Valve cover gasket FTW!
Everything else FTL!
:)