front brakes

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
mangostick
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mangostick »

janvanv wrote:
mangostick wrote:Cool.. what was the web link to the place that offered the bolt in mc conversion? .. That saves me a lot of fab work/time to be able to buy that part rather than build a rig like that from scratch.
Hang on a bit and I'll have another run of 5-6 of the copiesof the Ford parts.
Found a new-to-Xrattiness guy who is just setting up to do sheetmetal, laser cut bending and of course he wants to build a rally car so if'n he's doing one, then why not 6-10
I already have a pile of the basic boxes.

And naturally it'll cost way less than Grant's impulse buy.
Nice.. yeah I dont like to buy on a whim. I'd much more like to plan things out and do it once. I dont have the disposable cash to make ill planned part decisions. Do keep us posted! :D

On the topic of threading the stock xr knuckle to use the cossie brakes.. will the setup require spacers to propperly meet the rotor depth? I have a line on a 4pot rig for a rs including rotors n pads.. but as said above I dont want to invest in something I cant use Just to take a loss on it later. Not my style. Thanks again for all the Info John! Very much appreciated!!
where'd I put that damned hammer?? :-D

Shawn Mangan
granth
Level 3
Level 3

Post by granth »

mangostick wrote:Cool.. what was the web link to the place that offered the bolt in mc conversion? .. That saves me a lot of fab work/time to be able to buy that part rather than build a rig like that from scratch.
They don't list it for sale on the website as it's a special order item.
www.cp-racing.com

They order it from Demon Tweeks, but it's better to order it from Checkpoint as you don't have to pay the shipping cost from the UK nor do you have to pay the customs fees. But they only place orders every month or two though so be prepared to possibly wait for it. Or you can order it direct from Demon Tweeks, but it will cost more.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ ... ode=RIX218
211 GBP + ~50-60 USD to ship from UK direct.
worked_xr
Level 7
Level 7

Post by worked_xr »

We'll find out shortly how well John's big brakes work with the late master whenever the Wilwood calipers arrive. We'll be installing them on my car, which is daily driver, so I'll have lots of feedback for you reasonably soon.
whitelx
Level 7
Level 7

Post by whitelx »

worked_xr wrote:We'll find out shortly how well John's big brakes work with the late master whenever the Wilwood calipers arrive. We'll be installing them on my car, which is daily driver, so I'll have lots of feedback for you reasonably soon.
get pics too! :)

What wheel specs are needed to clear these brakes? I have 16" wheels, but I don't know if they have enough clearance for the 4-piston calipers.
1986 XR4Ti - 294rwhp/315ft-lbs
1992 Mustang 5.0 notch - 434rwhp/445ft-lbs
http://www.youtube.com/user/whitelx
worked_xr
Level 7
Level 7

Post by worked_xr »

John designed his brakes to fit under 15 Saab 9000 wheels (cheap!) for his rally guys. So we test fitted both the US BRAKE F88i calipers and the Wilwood Superlites with my 16" wheels and found that the Superlites will fit no problem, but the F88s would require "clearancing" of the calipers by grinding the front side corners (which wouldn't effect the funtion of the calipers at all).

I will certainly take pictures and be sure to post up both here and MS.