Parts worth saving from dead XR4 C3

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Parts worth saving from dead XR4 C3

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:47 pm

I'll soon have a C3 on the garage floor that is deserving of a burial at sea. What's worth saving from it? I believe the tail-housing is Merkur specific and would be useful for a A4LD swap, right? Anything else worth hanging onto?
Brad

milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:05 pm

Bell housing, front pump, wear plate, tailshaft/tailshaft housing. All can be used on an A4LD. Bell fits A4LDs that were not behind 2.3L with mods to the wear plate. Tailshaft and it's housing are needed to retain stock type mount in an XR, though not required(unless you are putting a non-Merk A4LD into a Scorpio, then you want to retain stock mounting for simplicities sake) Possibly even the linkage(trans side). Vacuum Modulator, it is different than the N/A cars.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now project car
1 14 black Fiesta SE aka Fiona- my new DD

DCLXVI

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:33 pm

milehighXR wrote:Bell housing, front pump, wear plate, tailshaft/tailshaft housing.
Thanks Johnny, I was counting on your response. :) Not being an automatic-savvy guy....

1) What's involved to remove the front pump and where is it? (yea, I know, at the front :lol:)
2) Wear plate? (I'd like to buy a clue Vanna)
3) Once the tail is off, how obvious will it be to remove the output shaft?
Brad

milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:48 pm

Front pump and wear plate will come off with the bell, leave them on it for now(this way someone can just use it for a C-3 right now if needed). Output shaft requires teardown of the entire trans to remove. Once the bell is off, just start pulling guts out from that end, and then there is a snap ring at the bottom that holds the output shft in place. Be careful, once you pull the snap ring, the ouput shaft wants to fall out(assuming you have it on a stand like in my shop pics), because that is also how the gov comes off(can't pull the gov, without taking output shaft out of trans first). Valve body may have to come off to get the guts out, can't remember.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now project car
1 14 black Fiesta SE aka Fiona- my new DD

DCLXVI