Crossmember damage with pics

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
merk23literturbo
Level 7
Level 7

Crossmember damage with pics

Post by merk23literturbo »

I looked at my crossmember and saw this, it's the very last pic:
http://www.angelfire.com/pa3/lyzcoinc/alignshaft.html
I always thought that the crossmember was kind of weak. This will obviously affect alignment. Go take a look at yours and report back.
German engineer: We custom fit every part in the Porsche engine.
Japanese engineer: You mean that you make every part wrong to begin with?
Larry Velk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Larry Velk »

First off, it's your post I referenced in a post on the 'other' forum (I couldn't figure out how to upload on this forum). So.... I need to edit again to say "see Angelfire post on DS align".
Anyway, I put my jack stands in this area and the crossmember gets a little banged up if it's a daily driver. I don't see a crack. Is the crack between the hole and the lower control arm bolt? I guess I wouldn't worry, and I'm normally a little paranoid.
Larry
'86 928, black, 5sp, red full leather, 55k
(daily driver!)
'91 FZR 1000
'64 XKE FHC, in a thousand pieces
2003 BMW Ci (just like an XR!)
'89 XR, red family car
merk23literturbo
Level 7
Level 7

The part that is bent is the same on both sides. It's the lower part of the crossmember. It is bending because of something. It is the same on both of my cars. I would like to reinforce it somehow. Has anyone done this? i don't think it will break or fall off but it would be nice to fix it somehow.
Oh, BTW, I never put jack stands there.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Don- So you're thinking those bends are from stress rather than impact? I would think that you'd see other evidence in the beam's lack of trueness if that was the case, no?

I've actually got a ~30" length of angle iron attached to the bottom of the beam, fastened in place via longer bolts that secure the steering rack. But I did that more to stengthen up the mid-section after having the make some mods to fit the AL pan. You could perhaps fabricate a brace that spanned the two inner TCA mounting points, but I'm not convinced that's needed. A little more custom fabrication would yield you something that combines what I've already done with what you're looking to do, I think.
Brad
merk23literturbo
Level 7
Level 7

The damage appears to be caused by the lower arm torquing back on every bump and eventually twisting it. That's a guess but looks like what would could happen. I posted to see if anyone else would look and see if theirs looked like this also.
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Mine doesn't and I've hit a curb hard enough to bend the sway bar :shock:
To me it looks like you(or PO if your not orig owner) hit a rock in the highway, or a REALY large pothole. I have been running for a year(against even my better judgment) with bad sway bar to tca bushings and don't have that kind of damage. The right front wheel moved a full 2 inches with just me pushing on it, and I'm 130lbs soaking wet... The ball joint on the other hand...
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
merk23literturbo
Level 7
Level 7

Just to repeat, this is on both of my cars. I don't do curb shots and avoid every pothole that I can. BTW, Pennsylvania has the most potholes of any state. If you live in Cali, you prolly won't have this kind of damage. Driving in PA is like driving in a rally every day.
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

That's wild. My car's pretty straight, and I haven't been very "diligent" about avoiding every pothole. PO even wrecked teh right front, and had to have the right rear repainted for some reason.

My Scorpios also are straight, and the x-member appears to be the same thickness on those...
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI