Mustang 5.0 engined XR4Ti

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
mikecozza69
Level 1
Level 1

Mustang 5.0 engined XR4Ti

Post by mikecozza69 »

Im researching an engine conversion for an XR4Ti.

Im thinking about a 302, with a supercharger, or possibly twin turbos, id like around 350 - 400 bhp.

Is it worth it?

what else is involved, id like to go for aftermarket management, wolf, or megasquirt
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

For 400hp at the wheels, you're gonna need a decent set of aftermarket heads or professionally ported stock heads with bigger valves, either a Wieand Stealth intake and 650cfm carb if you're going that route or a really nice aftermarket intake for EFI, and a custom cam would get the most out of the combo. If you have the money to stroke it to 347ci, you can come really close to that power level on all motor.

If you're going turbo (which you definitely won't need 2 of them to make 400hp unless you use T3s) you can get away with a more stock engine. I have a friend who ran an Explorer 302 which has GT40P heads on it, a Trick Flow Stage 1 cam and a DIY turbo setup and make 535hp at the wheels and ran 10.25s in the 1/4. It doesn't take a lot of boost to make that kind of power with a 302 if you put together a combo that works.
mikecozza69
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mikecozza69 »

thanks for the info.

I think that turbo would be the cheaper way to go, and when they come on boost.....

just wondering what kind of mustang have you got there, what year and model, looks different, i dont think that ive ever seen one of them before, that are they like???
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

Mine is an '85 5.0/5 speed, former Kentucky State Patrol police car. It's got a '79 Pacecar nose (also used on the '82 GT) which is probably why it looks different. Mine is carbureted from the factory and i really like carbed engines so i left it that way and i'm thinking about doing a blow-through turbo setup maybe in the summer.

They're great cars i think....relatively cheap to make fast, parts are easy to find...they don't ride all that great but with a few bolt ons they can out handle Porsches with no problem (seriously even with a solid axle). Suspension stuff to get it there gets expensive though. Realistically, for about 10k you could build an entry level track car that will run right with the Corvettes and even Vipers if you spend the money right.
Maurice S
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Mustang 5.0 engined XR4Ti

Post by Maurice S »

mikecozza69 wrote:Im researching an engine conversion for an XR4Ti.

Im thinking about a 302, with a supercharger, or possibly twin turbos, id like around 350 - 400 bhp.

Is it worth it?

what else is involved, id like to go for aftermarket management, wolf, or megasquirt

BOOOOOOOOO...hissssssssssssssssss...LOL!
85 XR '" Lightly Street Massaged"
xrattiracer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrattiracer »

350-400 is way easy to do with the 2.3, and youll still be able to fit your hands around it to work on the damn thing.
86 Silver XR4Ti. 'squirted. 12.7@111
03 VW Golf tdi
05 Yamaha FZ6
SuperCollasus
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mustang 5.0 engined XR4Ti

Post by SuperCollasus »

xrattiracer wrote:350-400 is way easy to do with the 2.3, and youll still be able to fit your hands around it to work on the damn thing.
Ummm... actually, NO! You'll have to spend in excess of $8000 in parts and still never achieve 400HP. Maybe 350 to the fly wheel but not to the wheels. LOL! I don't understand why 4.0cyl guys live in this dream world where their small 2.3T can achieve so great numbers and still be drivable everyday and reliable.

mikecozza69 wrote:Im researching an engine conversion for an XR4Ti.

Is it worth it?

Look man, save your money and buy the kit from Jim Deberry. You'll spend a little more than doing a " do it yourself hack job " and it's a drop in, bolt in, drill two holes and get a cherry picker type deal. If you have a house w/garage your golden.

Contact Jim: http://www.davecompton.com/JimD.htm

Secondly, 350 is laughable and the reason it is is because a stock bottom end, 302 mind you - no need to increase stroke, with a good set of aftermarket aluminum heads, cam, intake will get you at 350RWHP not none of this BHP crap that all the 4cyc guys you to beef up their nuts. The best part about this is it'll cost for less than an Esslinger head + cam and you'll blow the 2.3T away like dry tissue on an air strip. PMSL!

Check out this thread on MerkurSport and be amazed.

http://merkursport.com/index.php?showtopic=10341
BeefFajitas
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BeefFajitas »

Maybe you need to stroll on over to Turboford and see how many guys are putting down 400HP. And for way less than $8k. I don't know where you got that.
-Nate
'85 Merk. Back together. Only thing stock is the head and block.
SuperCollasus
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SuperCollasus »

BeefFajitas wrote:Maybe you need to stroll on over to Turboford and see how many guys are putting down 400HP. And for way less than $8k. I don't know where you got that.
LOL! Dude, the ratio of 400HP 2.3T to 5.0 is like 1:500. So ya, you can throw money at anything and make it fast but is it really worth making it fast and not reliable.

Talk to any one of the PM guys and they will tell you that there hands are always in their engines. Talk to a 5.0 guy and they will tell you that they happily drive their car everywhere they want and need to go.

Next.
salukixr4ti
Level 3
Level 3

V-8 Conversion

Post by salukixr4ti »

I'm not going to fan any flames here, but after having gone for a ride in Cliff Walton's 331 cu. in. V-8 car, I was certain the swap was right for me. I also second the notion to get with Jim Deberry. I know him personally, and have his parts in my V-8 project. It is the ONLY way to go if you do a v-8 swap. You will not save any money or time in the long run using other parts or cobbling it together yourself. Remember, you're also going to be buying into expertise from someone who has done it all regarding these swaps. Last, there is absolutely no reason to use a stand alone either, especially for the HP range you're talking about. A "modified" A9L ECU is capable of sustaining those #'s without sacrificing any driveability.
This ain't no disco...It's Wichita.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Another option is the 4.6 - here's a link to one being put in a Scorpio, which is pretty much the same setup as the XR...

http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewt ... sc&start=0
Brad
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

You guys should ride in a turbo 347 car or better yet a nasty all motor 408 or 426 stroked 351W.

I'm happy where i'm at. I've kinda got the best of both worlds, even though having two toys is out of my budge, i just have to be practical about what i do to the Merkur since it is my daily driver and the Mustang has a long way to go before i'm satisfied with it.
BeefFajitas
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BeefFajitas »

SuperCollasus wrote:
BeefFajitas wrote:Maybe you need to stroll on over to Turboford and see how many guys are putting down 400HP. And for way less than $8k. I don't know where you got that.
LOL! Dude, the ratio of 400HP 2.3T to 5.0 is like 1:500. So ya, you can throw money at anything and make it fast but is it really worth making it fast and not reliable.

Talk to any one of the PM guys and they will tell you that there hands are always in their engines. Talk to a 5.0 guy and they will tell you that they happily drive their car everywhere they want and need to go.

Next.
Again, I don't know where you're getting this stuff, but who said 400HP 2.3 isn't reliable? Crower rods, some porting, good turbo, IC, and wallah.
-Nate
'85 Merk. Back together. Only thing stock is the head and block.
mikecozza69
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mikecozza69 »

A few different arguements here, i think ill have to look more in depth before i make any decisions.

My girlfriend dad has an engine sitting in his shop its a (i think) 427 ford, and its running around 450hp. now id think about throwing this lump in. However i have to be realistic about fuel consumption!!!!!

being realistic, a 302 twin turbo is gonna drink fuel like i drink beer!!! but if i had it for a weekend car only......

I have had enough experience running 4 banger turbos, and to be honest they are like ticking time bombs..... i am new to V8s, but i would assume they could handle a little more, plus with all the torque that comes with them, lots of lazy power....

also what about diffs, people in england, some are running jag xj rear ends on theyre cossys, would a mustang diff do? are they possi equipped???

also how do i put pics on this forum, ill throw some of my old U,K fords on....
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

I wouldn't put much trust in a stock Merkur rear end holding up very long to even a stock 302. The 7.5 that they used in the '79-85 Mustangs is stronger and the stock 302 is plenty powerful enough to blow it to pieces with traction. You're talking about a twin turbo 302...even with a good diff you're likely to twist the half shafts...but that's just my guess and i'm a rookie to Merkurs too. All i know is the 8.8 is a lot stronger than either 7.5 and i've seen them destroyed with 300hp to the wheels.

My biggest hangup with the Merkurs is the weak rear end. I know everyone says they're not drag cars but i like a car that can do it all and i really wish there was an affordable way to make a strong IRS for one of these that could handle hard launches on slicks.