Ruined Distributor Gear Teeth

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Slinky
Level 2
Level 2

Ruined Distributor Gear Teeth

Post by Slinky » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:21 pm

Hey all.

Got an issue. Installed a new distributor. Car was running good for about 20 miles yesterday, started to develop an air leak type symptom. Car died. Towed it home and found that the distributor was popped up (I could feel the o-ring). Pulled the distributor and about 1/3 of the gear teeth have been eaten at a slope. I looks like it just wasn't seated completely and pushed it up and that was that.

It's hard to tell if there was damage to the aux gear. What would be the best solution to repair this right the first time?

Image :( [/img]
-Will

Frag
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Frag » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:05 pm

How's your timing belt look? Nows a good time to change it if it's starting to look bad.

Same thing happened to me except the aux shaft was toast and the distributor was ok. It's kind of a common problem on 2.3 fords though definitely grease or oil the gears and make sure the dist hold down is good before reinstalling.

-Remove fornt cover if installed and anything else that might be in you way like radiator hoses and acessory belts.
-Remove distributor.
-Loosen aux shaft cog bolt.
-Release timing belt tensioner.
-Remove aux cog and shaft shaft for inspection of the gear.

Reverse process if timing belt is in GOOD condition. If not you have a few more things to remove like pullys.

I might of left some things out. Good luck!
:)

Rotisserie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rotisserie » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:54 pm

happened to me too.

definitely check you auxillary shaft.

salukixr4ti
Level 3
Level 3

Metal chunks

Post by salukixr4ti » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:16 pm

don't forget to go through your oiling system. Metal boogers=bad
This ain't no disco...It's Wichita.

Freejack
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Freejack » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:51 am

I would go ahead and replace the aux shaft, lest you'll have to do this all over again. It's not too hard to do, and will save you headaches in the long run...ask me how I know.

Jake

Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:26 pm

How did the dist "pop up" if it was clamped down??
"Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farsical aquatic ceremony."

Slinky
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Slinky » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:18 pm

I can't say for sure Chuck, it was definitely a install error. Whether it wasn't seated correctly to begin with or the clamp wasn't installed correctly I don't know.
-Will

Slinky
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Slinky » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:14 pm

Has anyone ever had any success replacing just the dist. gear? (It's basically a new reman. unit)

RockAuto shows a ACDelco Part# F1917A (Only on the 88 T-Coupe, not on the XR)
-Will

Frag
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Frag » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:45 pm

Slinky wrote:Has anyone ever had any success replacing just the dist. gear? (It's basically a new reman. unit)

I thought they had to be pressed on? Does this mean you have figured out if your aux shaft gear is shot?
:)

fast_xr4@yahoo.com
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fast_xr4@yahoo.com » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:00 pm

We know for sure you have metal in your oil pan so you should probably drop the pan and clean it out. I had a roller bearing suck up into the oil pump at 100mph+ and shear the oil pump driveshaft. Not cool. Long story how I ended up there.

As for reusing the aux shaft. It might be fine but you need to pull it and inspect it as suggested. If you need a replacement then a used one might be fine if they are hard to come by. I've got a used one as I replaced mine with Esslingers billet unit. If you use Essy's you have to use their bronze gear or the billet gear will eat the stock dis gear very quickly. Ask me how I know!
'86 XR 340rwhp @ 5k
'05 STi dp, hdr
'05 Freestyle CAI

fast_xr4@yahoo.com
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fast_xr4@yahoo.com » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:05 pm

Frag wrote:
Slinky wrote:Has anyone ever had any success replacing just the dist. gear? (It's basically a new reman. unit)

I thought they had to be pressed on? Does this mean you have figured out if your aux shaft gear is shot?
They can be replaced by a DIY'r. I think you need a punch, a vice and mallet. The trick is getting the new one on without damaging it. Take your time and there won't be any problems. I think I used a washer to keep from gawling the new gear.

If you get a new dis inspect it right there at the part counter before turning yours in and have it tested. The remans often don't have new electronics especially from Autozone/Advance??? Ozone gave me two bad units and I finally gave up on them and went to a local speed shop. I can't remember the source.
'86 XR 340rwhp @ 5k
'05 STi dp, hdr
'05 Freestyle CAI

jasonty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jasonty » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:50 pm

Esslinger:
Billet Shaft
Bronze Gear
Grooved Bearings

Other:
New Motorcraft Dizzy
jason yancey
stephens city va
87XR-88XR
NOVAMOG

"as long as you keep picking on me I will tend to mad post about me getting mad......"

Slinky
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Slinky » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:23 pm

i called russ @ rapido. he's going to send me a used aux shaft, bearing, and seal. not sure what i have decided about the dist gear. i think i'll just bite the bullet and get another dist. already drained the oil and looked through it didn't look bad. aux shaft looks good through the small hole still going to pull it. someone suggested filling the whole block with atf and draining. if anyone thinks my plan of action is wrong please speak up! i don't want another stripped gear lol. thanks all for your input.
-Will

Garret
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Garret » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:47 pm

fast_xr4@yahoo.com wrote:We know for sure you have metal in your oil pan so you should probably drop the pan and clean it out. I had a roller bearing suck up into the oil pump at 100mph+ and shear the oil pump driveshaft. Not cool. Long story how I ended up there.
Do you run your oil pump pickup without a screen? or was the roller bearing a needle bearing?

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:41 pm

Frag wrote:I thought they had to be pressed on?
Correct. There was a recent thread about rebuilt disty's being under $100, so considering that you get a new PIP, TFI, and gear for that price, it's the sensible choice.

I'd definately be replacing the aux shaft as well. Considering how many millions of cars/trucks shared that same part, finding a reasonable second-hand one should be too much of a challenge.

I'd also be replacing the aux shaft bearings with a new set; preferably with a groove cut to direct oil at the gears.

Lastly, yea, you want to find the gear bits. They probably could live at the bottom of the pan for awhile, but I wouldn't feel good about that. At a minimum, be sure to hand turn the oil pump over to make sure there aren't any bits already in there.
Brad