turbo?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
1987merkur

turbo?

Post by 1987merkur »

i plan on upgrading my turbo im confused on what size i should get. anyone have a recomendation? im trying to get mid 13's out of my merkur. u have a intrcooler for it already 2 1/2 exhaust i ran still working on down pipe but i dont want to make it til i get the new turbo.anyone have any suggestions? please help.
Tumbler
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Tumbler »

Contact my good turbo friend http://www.yellowbot.com/turbo-concepts ... ey-mi.html
Its this crazy old guy who works out of his pole barn and does fantastic work and sell the best bang for the buck turbo's you can find (sans Ebay of course) 8)
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Re: turbo?

Post by anglin »

1987merkur wrote:i plan on upgrading my turbo im confused on what size i should get... im trying to get mid 13's out of my merkur.
Generally people who are looking for solid power choose something like a T3/T4 hybrid usually called the T04E. Since you appear to have a goal of a quarter mile time, choosing a a T04E with the .63 exhaust side will give you more top end power. Somebody may recommend a Holset turbo to you.
1987merkur wrote:u have a intrcooler for it already 2 1/2 exhaust i ran still working on down pipe but i dont want to make it til i get the new turbo.anyone have any suggestions?
While you can probably get into the 13s with 2-1/2 inch exhaust, it may not be ideal. Guys with less lofty goals often run 3" exhaust. I've got 3 inch exhaust on my 14 second car. My suggestion is to head over to turboford.org and read the forum there. I would encourage you to do a lot of reading. Putting a 2.3 turbo into the 13s has happened many time and there's a lot of informaton out there. Additionally, punctuation and capitalization will make your posts a little easier to understand so we can help you better.
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
Frag
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Frag »

Seems you could get 13's on the stock turbo. Spend your money elsewhere.
:)
1987merkur

Post by 1987merkur »

i have a GN intercooler im putting on with hard piping. Boost controler from RJC.K&N cone filter. What is a cheap tuning softwear for the xr4ti??? I am new to this vehicle so, you could ask me about a honda b-series and i cold tell you almost anything you want lol...
mikerobison
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikerobison »

I find a nice set of harbor freight metric sockets and end wrenches excellent tuning Hardware.
onebad7up
Level 1
Level 1

Post by onebad7up »

I have an excellent condition TO4E if you are seriously looking for one.

If you are on a budget but would like to have a wide range of tuning capabilities, Megasquirt is a good choice. It took a while for me to get everything right but now I love it.
xrattiracer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrattiracer »

yep, 13s on the stocker is dead easy, and you should never run a turbo thats larger than what you need as it introduces unneccesary lag.
hell, i ran 12s on the stock turbo.
86 Silver XR4Ti. 'squirted. 12.7@111
03 VW Golf tdi
05 Yamaha FZ6
onebad7up
Level 1
Level 1

Post by onebad7up »

xrattiracer wrote:yep, 13s on the stocker is dead easy, and you should never run a turbo thats larger than what you need as it introduces unneccesary lag.
hell, i ran 12s on the stock turbo.
How did you manage that when you are running 12.8's with a Holset?
xrattiracer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrattiracer »

the 12.8 times are from before i put the holset on actually. other limitations (fuel system primarily) have prevented me from doing any better with the holset, plus having not even been to the track in a couple years now.
03 VW Golf tdi
05 Yamaha FZ6
1987merkur

Post by 1987merkur »

if you tdon't mind how much boost and what was the mods??? jw you don't have to tell was wanting to see how far i am away from anything close to that.
xrattiracer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrattiracer »

most of the standard stuff, and running about 25 psi.
3" exhaust
custom 2 core tbird fmic
ported E6 (dont think it made much difference tho)
adj cam timing (custom ground stock cam blank at 6 or 8 deg retard, cant remember)
T5 swap
gutted upper intake
the kicker for me was dumping the stock ecu; i never made it close to 12s until i got rid of it. keep in mind this was my first experience with the dodge ecu i swapped to, and it was not yet running a custom program.

Whats more interesting is what was stock:
head (other than cam and springs). thats right, unported.
block (hadnt been touched).
entire fuel system, pump to injectors.
turbo (.63).
full interior, including stereo with subwoofer.
might have still been running the stock pegleg diff, cant remember.
03 VW Golf tdi
05 Yamaha FZ6
Rotisserie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rotisserie »

you could just add nitrous to your tune...
xrattiracer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrattiracer »

...and spend stupid amounts of money refilling the bottle all the time, not to mention not being able to use it anywhere but the track. no thanks.
03 VW Golf tdi
05 Yamaha FZ6
1987merkur

Post by 1987merkur »

holy $#!*, i am getting ready to gut the upper intake and port it, putting the intercooler on but i am lost on what ecu to upgrade to because i am running a automatic tranny.