headlight problems

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
topher_csr
Level 3
Level 3

headlight problems

Post by topher_csr »

so i am getting ready to get my xr inspected to get it liscened after like a year of work and i figured the shop that inspected my car would like my head lights to work so i started to see if i could make them work, and i could not. so here is what know so far.
1. the dimmer switch is getting power
2. the head light switch is working to turn on my gauges
3. i have no power going to the head light fuses (14-17)
4. i have no power going to my headlight plugs
5. the center "fog" lights work just fine. i just need new bulbs

so that is all i know and i really have no idea to where to turn i am going to go on mitchel online and pull the wiring scmatic but after that i am pretty lost. so if any one knows what i could try that would be great. i imagine that i am not the first person to have the headlight power go out. thanks
Chris
86 xr4ti-
Front Mount Intercooler, Turbonetics Super 60 Turbo, External Wastegate, XS Power Exhaust Manifold, Intake, 3" downpipe, LB2 and big VAM

All kids play with cars, the unlucky ones grow out of it.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Check for power out of the headlight switch when you move the stalk to "headlights" position?

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

Just as a sanity check, turn the ignition on too. The headlights are off when the key is in the off position but the parking lamps and gauge lamps are on.
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

And also try the "Brights" switch to see if perchance that mode works by itself (not likely, but, hey...).

Then, try switching relays (find a relay for another function that matches the headlights relay and substitute it, try the light switch again, and observe.

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

I guess this has become a brainstorming session...

If your turn signal switch is faulty, that will cause a headlamp problem as well. I can't remember if that affects the parking lamps and gauge lamps as well.
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com