OK guys. What is this XR worth?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Garret
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Garret »

yeah I didn't think they were adjustable. I was wondering why I hadn't heard about AGXs for the XR
Rustjunkey
Level 2
Level 2

Whats the worth of a professional mechanic

Post by Rustjunkey »

In response to "MERLIN MERKUR'S" bashing of my reply on what it's worth
I would suggest that if he paid less for his vehicle, he could spend more on a professional mechanic to do his repairs (ie multiple head gaskets) and more time on the road. I might also add that I offered the lady with the three Merkurs and a sick, not dead husband, a set amount and she phoned back after checking with several mechanics and others to accept it. Further she is going to sell me her 1963 Chrysler 300 convertible when her husband does pass as she was impressed with my professionalism and concern.
My rant, I do not know what Travis does or how long he has done it. I got my Masters degree in Biology from UC Berkeley but went into the automotive field by passion and choice. I have the oldest automotive sales, repair, and parts facility in the Tahoe basin (38 years), as well as a personal automotive collection of 106 vehicles ranging from 1926 to present, antiques, full classics, military, muscle cars, etc. Whatever I do I do to the best of my ability, whether it is acquiring vehicles or community
service and I will continue to do this and succeed as I have done consistently in the past.
I would end by suggesting that he spend more time learning mechanical
skills than worrying about the ethics of others. He doesn't sound very content or happy.
1985 XR4Ti Silver 5spd
1986 Ford TBird Turbocoupe White 5spd
1986 XR4Ti White Auto
1987 XR4Ti Black 5spd
1987 XR4Ti Red 5spd
1989 XR4Ti Red Auto
1989 XR4Ti Silver 5spd
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Ed Lijewski wrote:So, are those SAAB wheels a switch and roll direct swap for XR wheels?
Sorta. The hub-center is larger at 65.1mm, and the offset isn't quite right at 27mm, but obviously the bolt pattern is indeed 4x108.

Go Rustjunkey! :lol:
Brad
SoKalXR
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SoKalXR »

I am in fact buying the car. I already have a set of wheels for it so if someone wants the SAAB 9000 wheels they are more than welcome to them. They have like new tires on them. Make me an offer. I have no clue as to what they are worth.

Chris
ckelly@cardinaleway.com
snakewriter@pacbell.net
Rustjunkey
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Rustjunkey »

Chris,
End the suspense, what did you pay for it?
The Rustjunkey
1985 XR4Ti Silver 5spd
1986 Ford TBird Turbocoupe White 5spd
1986 XR4Ti White Auto
1987 XR4Ti Black 5spd
1987 XR4Ti Red 5spd
1989 XR4Ti Red Auto
1989 XR4Ti Silver 5spd
SoKalXR
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SoKalXR »

$2500 for the car.

Anybody want to buy the wheels and tires so I can offset the duckets?
CV12Steve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by CV12Steve »

Congratulations Chris!!
Now you can flip coin for your Monday night ride. Have any Merks been showing up?
Stephen
SoKalXR
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SoKalXR »

No Merks on Monday nights lately. If any of you So Cal Merk owners want to see some cool German Cars including Minis, BMWs, VWs, and even a Volvo or two.

Come on out!
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Congrats, Chris! Best of luck with it. 8)
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Frag
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Whats the worth of a professional mechanic

Post by Frag »

Rustjunkey wrote:In response to "MERLIN MERKUR'S" bashing of my reply on what it's worth
I would suggest that if he paid less for his vehicle, he could spend more on a professional mechanic to do his repairs (ie multiple head gaskets) and more time on the road. I might also add that I offered the lady with the three Merkurs and a sick, not dead husband, a set amount and she phoned back after checking with several mechanics and others to accept it. Further she is going to sell me her 1963 Chrysler 300 convertible when her husband does pass as she was impressed with my professionalism and concern.
My rant, I do not know what Travis does or how long he has done it. I got my Masters degree in Biology from UC Berkeley but went into the automotive field by passion and choice. I have the oldest automotive sales, repair, and parts facility in the Tahoe basin (38 years), as well as a personal automotive collection of 106 vehicles ranging from 1926 to present, antiques, full classics, military, muscle cars, etc. Whatever I do I do to the best of my ability, whether it is acquiring vehicles or community
service and I will continue to do this and succeed as I have done consistently in the past.
I would end by suggesting that he spend more time learning mechanical
skills than worrying about the ethics of others. He doesn't sound very content or happy.
:dunno
:)
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

I've gotta second that. :dunno
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

SoKalXR wrote:$2500 for the car.

Anybody want to buy the wheels and tires so I can offset the duckets?

Shipping costs are too much for me (metro D.C. area).

BTW, my interest in those wheels is that they should be more aerodynamic (reduction in turbulence) than most others; and with all that surface area painting them to match or complement the body color might be interesting...).

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Ed Lijewski wrote:BTW, my interest in those wheels is that they should be more aerodynamic (reduction in turbulence)
You headed to Bonneville or sumtin Ed??? :?
Brad
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

It's not, and doesn't have to be rocket or drag racing science. Scorpio wheels present that smooth surface with smallish open spaces, too. Stock XR, and every afterrmarket, wheels are, um, "san souci" for that coefficient of friction parameter. Look at the Honda Civic hybrid's wheels; you think the choice of those was an accident?

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
CV12Steve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by CV12Steve »

Ed, that was my line of thought when I went looking for my first set of rims. Couldn't find anything I liked at the time, so I went the other way, for increased brake venting.
The turbulent air around the wheel wells, especially the front, is a source of drag.
Stephen