How to fix to rusted rocker panels.

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
merk23literturbo
Level 7
Level 7

How to fix to rusted rocker panels.

Post by merk23literturbo » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:31 pm

This is a general write up for Peer Review because there has been no interest,(except Jim and Anglin) in a kit to repair the rockers from my other post. Brad can add the specific info on panel bonding adhesives and maybe get a discount or group buy on those products. Do not add info that is something you heard from somebody or is otherwise useless. I hope this will save some cars from completely falling apart. This really is not that hard to do.
Rust never sleeps.
>>>
How to fix the rusted out rocker panels on an XR:
This is a way to fix the rockers if you are still keeping the stock cladding. This method requires no welding. This method can be done without being a bodyman. Panel bonding adhesives are stronger than steel.
Put the car up on 4 jack stands.
Check that the door gaps are even all the way around, if not move the jack stands until they are.
Remove the cladding by taking out the molding strips, center punching the steel center of the rivet out and drilling off the aluminum head.
Now you will see how much damage there is.
The next step is to remove all the damaged metal and glue in new panels that you cut to fit.
Remove the seats and carpets for floor access.
Cut off all the rusted metal with shears, Tin snips, die grinder or whatever works for you.
Now clean up at least one inch back from the edge of every damaged panel with a grinder and clean the metal until it has nothing on it.
Take some paper to make a template for each panel you are replacing. You might be making a piece for the floor and inner rocker. Add a one inch overlap to every panel. The outer rocker is available from the Merkur suppliers so you don't need to worry about making that shape. The other panels do not need to be shaped exactly since they are not seen. If you need to make a panel with a bend in it for the inner rocker to floor just buy it pre bent or use whatever you want to bend it. It doesn't have to be exact.
Cut the panels from the template you made out of sheet metal.
Start from the inside and glue the panels in place with a panel bonding adhesive that is made for gluing on new panels. Read and follow all directions.
Let the product harden.
Drill drain holes every 5 inches.
Coat the repaired areas including the inside with Epoxy Primer.
Coat the inner panels with Cavity Wax.
Undercoat the repaired areas.
Sand and paint the panels if you want to.
>>>
You could add Terrocore to the rockers if you want, but not necessary.
Pictures, projects and cool stuff here: http://tinyurl.com/psyuhej
German engineer: We custom fit every part in the Porsche engine.
Japanese engineer: You mean that you make every part wrong to begin with?

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:18 am

Good post Don - I'll add a few comments....

1) The panel adhesives want "raw" metal-to-metal bonding surfaces, free of paint, rust, oil, etc.

2) Several products exist that will do the job - they pretty much all require a 2-part gun. Keep in mind "open work time" of the chosen adhesive - you need to allow enough time to get everything in place that you're going to do in one session before the product starts to cure. Ambient temp is also a factor - using the slow (~45 min) setting product in cooler temps is a challenge - I had some that literally took DAYS to fully cure. Also, be mindful of the expiration date - older product will take longer to cure. If you use a slow cure product past expiration at cooler temps, think about a cure time of WEEKS (not exaggerating).

3) Once the panels are in place, get primer on them right away. Unless all of the surfaces are 100% rust-free, think about laying down some of this prior to the conventional epoxy primer Don suggests:
http://nomorerust.com/silver.htm

4) Clamp the panels whenever you can, but be mindful of not getting any adhesive on your clamps. Have some release paper at hand to ensure you don't bond your clamps into the work. Where you can't get a clamp, masking tape can often do the job.
Brad

markwemple
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to fix to rusted rocker panels.

Post by markwemple » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:18 pm

I will ad that these are unibody cars. I strongly recommend welding floors and inner rockers. I'd also prefer welded outer rockets. These are all structural members. Structural adhesive is strong but is not a substitute for welding. In new cars it is used for door skins, and the like, and to create crumple zones as it will give way before the welded zones. Just my 2 cents.

twin turbo

Post by twin turbo » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:10 am

Haha old tread, but wtf... Welding is the ONLY proper solution, and need to be done right...

merk23literturbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by merk23literturbo » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:15 pm

Haha, welding isn’t the only way, lots of cars have no welds. BMW loves rivets and bonding. Opinions are not facts.
Pictures, projects and cool stuff here: http://tinyurl.com/psyuhej
German engineer: We custom fit every part in the Porsche engine.
Japanese engineer: You mean that you make every part wrong to begin with?

my8950
Level 6
Level 6

Post by my8950 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:51 am

What are you guys using for Panel bonding adhesives?
If you can post a name/manufacturer and part number that would be great.

twin turbo

Post by twin turbo » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:13 am

Yes a car designed for bonding yes, but a car designed to be welded/steel, is not the same...

twin turbo

Post by twin turbo » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:19 am

A car designed to be bonded yes, AS "repair" on a car not designed to be bonded no....

3m 2k is what we use. Dont remember the number

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:00 am

my8950 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:51 am
What are you guys using for Panel bonding adhesives?
If you can post a name/manufacturer and part number that would be great.
This is perhaps the best stuff on the market right now for this type of application...
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/ ... 165&rt=rud

Also good, but less expensive...
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/ ... 847&rt=rud
Brad