Aftermarket ignition

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
chadbratt
Level 2
Level 2

Aftermarket ignition

Post by chadbratt » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:40 pm

I know, I know....we people dont like them. Ive already read the bad, now is their any good? I have a Crane Cams HI-6 ignition box that i got years before my XR and Ive always wanted to get it in. The only real reason that I would want to install it would be for the rev limiter. The one thats built into the computer isnt always so accurate, Ive seen the tach go past it and Ive seen it hit before it. But will I just be causing myself more of a headache? Just wondering before I start it this winter.....

THANKS in advance!

CHAD
Chad Bratt
85 white XR4Ti. T-5, LA3, lots of goodies.
www.chadbrattphotography.com

EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:53 pm

Why not get a stand alone rev limiter? MSD makes a soft-touch limiter that i've had my eye on for a while for my Mustang. It's really cool how it limits the revs without the violent cut off that a box has. Look it up on Summit, it's like $89.

deathbypsi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deathbypsi » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:01 pm

I use ALL MSD on my car. MSD TFI coil,MSD wires and MSD Digital 6+ box. Love it all. Been using all of these parts for over 4 years and only problem I have ever had was a bad BlasterII coil. If you plan on goin over 20psi I recomend goin with an aftermarket box.
Brian R.
86 SVO

chadbratt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by chadbratt » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:06 am

Yeah I was planning on going with a aftermarket coil as well. Good to hear.
Chad Bratt
85 white XR4Ti. T-5, LA3, lots of goodies.
www.chadbrattphotography.com