Solid beam mount help

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
deathbypsi
Level 3
Level 3

Solid beam mount help

Post by deathbypsi » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:41 pm

Got my parts today to do my rear suspension but have a few questions.

I know the plates go small on top and large on bottom but what way does the sleeve go in?

And what is the best way to make sure the plates are in the correct location before I tack em on?

On Mc2 site it mentions a locating bushing to help with alignment while the pieces get tacked in position but I got no such thing with mine.
Brian R.
86 SVO

Grayson
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Grayson » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:10 pm

The small plate does go on top, and the large plate goes on the bottom. The "thick" part of the sleeve sticks out the top of the beam once you're all done. Check out the pic:

If you click on the tiny pics on our web store's pages you'll usually see either blown-up versions or special collages like this.

My recommendation is to slip the sleeve into the top plate, and weld it in place. Next, center the sleeve & top plate unit into the bushing hole. Now weld the top plate to the beam. Next flip the beam over, insert the bottom plate over the sleeve, and weld the bottom plate in place.

I've never gotten around to making any alignment bushings, though I should. As for now I'm a filthy, filthy liar.

deathbypsi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deathbypsi » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:18 pm

Thanx Grayson, figured it out this morning.Lookin good now!

Now I have to deal with two broken hidden nuts up in the floor for the plates that bolt to the mounts. Might just weld em to the floor once its all back in I guess.
Brian R.
86 SVO