FAILED SMOG CHECK NEED HELP !!!!

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
preston240sx
Level 2
Level 2

humm

Post by preston240sx »

yea i deff need a pic of the spout you speak of i cant find anything even close to that all i could find is whats in this pic

thx alot ppl
turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by turboplz »

Ok, here's a pic of the SPOUT plug pill/jumper/connector. I have mine ziptied just to make sure there is no chance of it coming out!

What you have pictured there looks like your water temp gauge sending unit and water outlet from the intake.

Jason

Jason

89 Xr4ti..."Bronze Turd"...long term project/current garage queen

2014 Focus ST
preston240sx
Level 2
Level 2

so

Post by preston240sx »

to me that just looks like a cap that fits on the plug does the spout acually connect to anything ? and can i pick one up at a autoparts store ?
turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by turboplz »

In actuality, it is just a "cap". On the early year Xr's, there was a one wire male and female connector, but on the later Xr's there is just this cap/jumper/plug/whatever you want to call it.

I'm pretty sure you can NOT get it at a local auto parts store, perhaps a Ford dealership, but I'm not sure.
Jason

2014 Focus ST
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Ha, ha, ha, ha, local Ford yeah right. Especially not in Cali :roll: Start hittin' the boneyards or call Jeff, at MPM. I bet you can get one from a late TC, or some other later Ford, that happens to have the same style spout...

As for what it dos, when you disconnect it you are telling the EEC that you are checking/setting base ignition timing. You reconnect when done.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now project car
1 14 black Fiesta SE aka Fiona- my new DD

DCLXVI
MarkM
Level 6
Level 6

Re: so

Post by MarkM »

preston240sx wrote:to me that just looks like a cap that fits on the plug does the spout acually connect to anything ? and can i pick one up at a autoparts store ?
The cap completes a circuit that enables computer control of your timing. Remove the cap and your timing becomes fixed at whatever the distributor is set at, which will allow you to set it without the computer interfering. Once you've got the timing set you need to put the cap back on so the computer can do its thing.
Mark
turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by turboplz »

Jeff is a great guy to deal with also, +1 for him and he'll have the parts out to you in a heartbeat!

Just don't buy the last windshield he has...I've already called dibs on that :D
Jason

2014 Focus ST
preston240sx
Level 2
Level 2

so

Post by preston240sx »

is there anyway to jerry-rig it so that it would let the computer do its thing ? i mean cap it someother way? what/where is mpm ? number /website?
turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by turboplz »

preston240sx wrote:is there anyway to jerry-rig it so that it would let the computer do its thing ? i mean cap it someother way? what/where is mpm ? number /website?
http://www.merkurmidwest.com/ is the website. The contact number on there is Jeff's personal cell and he doesn't always answer, but leave a message and he'll get back to you within an hour or two usually. His screen name on here is Blugg, but phone is by far the easiest way to contact him.

He's located in Chicago.
Jason

2014 Focus ST
preston240sx
Level 2
Level 2

ok

Post by preston240sx »

well im going to hit the yards tomarrow maybe i can find one or i can source one online
onebadazzsrt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by onebadazzsrt »

I guess there's one in the yard by my house I can snag the pill if you need it. I've been meaning to have an extra one as well.
J

1987 xr with rs500 fiberglass wing,outcast grill,new shoes,5.0 with GT40 package,powerdyne blower 9psi kit,255
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

preston240sx wrote:is there anyway to jerry-rig it so that it would let the computer do its thing ? i mean cap it someother way? what/where is mpm ? number /website?
I wouldn't recommend it, but you could always try a paper clip. They worked for MacGyver.

Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now project car
1 14 black Fiesta SE aka Fiona- my new DD

DCLXVI
preston240sx
Level 2
Level 2

so..

Post by preston240sx »

i saw a merkur in the yard last time i went im hoping its still there !! and if it is i might even snag the engine
whitelx
Level 7
Level 7

Post by whitelx »

OK....

The type of SPOUT connector you have is like just about any late model Ford. At least late 80s-early 90s. It may or may not look like the one posted above. The one on my Mustang is gray. On 5.0L Mustangs and T-birds you'll find it on the wiring harness that plugs into the TFI on the distributor. On 4.6L T-birds it will be on the pass. side inner fender.

It is possible a parts store may have it, but the counter jocky may not have any clue as to what you are talking about.

The connector looks like a cap, but it has a wire inside to jumper the two pins on the harness connector. As said, you have to remove the cap to set the base timing, then reinstall it. I'm surprised the smog operator didn't say anything about it since they have to remove the plug to check the timing on the car. Is it running worse now after the smog? Maybe he removed it and forgot to put it back in. If so, go back and make them retest for free since it is possible he left the connector out for the test which will skew your results.

The fuel pressure regulator sounds like it is bad. It should not smell like gas and definitely should not have any fuel coming out of the vacuum port on the top. You can pick one off another 2.3L or even a 5.0L Mustang/T-bird. You can also buy them at a parts store.

While you are at it, put a new oxygen sensor in. You've been running very rich and it's possible you may have fouled the sensor enough to effect the readings.

When testing, make sure the engine is HOT. Run the piss out of it before taking it in for smog. Get them to run it at a fast idle for 5 minutes while it is on the rollers right before testing. A good smog tech should do this anyway. This made the difference between failing and passing on my XR. The catalytic converter needs to be HOT to do it's job.

If you are in a real bind I think I have a spout connector and a fuel pressure regulator tucked away. I was actually planning on installing the newer style spout connector onto my 86 since it is much easier to remove the jumper plug and it looks much cleaner.
1986 XR4Ti - 294rwhp/315ft-lbs
1992 Mustang 5.0 notch - 434rwhp/445ft-lbs
http://www.youtube.com/user/whitelx
preston240sx
Level 2
Level 2

thx

Post by preston240sx »

well thx for all the info ima try and grab one tomarrow ...as for setting the timing the mech said mine was at 15 so i loosen the distributor bolt and turn it till my timing gun was at 10 degree's is that the wrong way to do it ?