FAILED SMOG CHECK NEED HELP !!!!

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
whitelx
Level 7
Level 7

Re: thx

Post by whitelx »

preston240sx wrote:well thx for all the info ima try and grab one tomarrow ...as for setting the timing the mech said mine was at 15 so i loosen the distributor bolt and turn it till my timing gun was at 10 degree's is that the wrong way to do it ?
so long as the spout is removed when you adjust the timing, yes. The spout needs to be reconnected once you have set the timing.
1986 XR4Ti - 294rwhp/315ft-lbs
1992 Mustang 5.0 notch - 434rwhp/445ft-lbs
http://www.youtube.com/user/whitelx
preston240sx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by preston240sx »

whitelx wrote:
preston240sx wrote:well thx for all the info ima try and grab one tomarrow ...as for setting the timing the mech said mine was at 15 so i loosen the distributor bolt and turn it till my timing gun was at 10 degree's is that the wrong way to do it ?
so long as the spout is removed when you adjust the timing, yes. The spout needs to be reconnected once you have set the timing.
sweet im going yarding in the morning so hopefully i can find one....
onebadazzsrt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by onebadazzsrt »

where you gonna go sanyasidro, Iloved the pull-a-parts down there. There's like 10miles of wrecking yards down there, I used to go there every weekend.
J

1987 xr with rs500 fiberglass wing,outcast grill,new shoes,5.0 with GT40 package,powerdyne blower 9psi kit,255
preston240sx
Level 2
Level 2

nahh

Post by preston240sx »

onebadazzsrt wrote:where you gonna go sanyasidro, Iloved the pull-a-parts down there. There's like 10miles of wrecking yards down there, I used to go there every weekend.
nahh ima probley head over to the j-yards in chula vista the (pickyourparts) or the ecology
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

preston240sx wrote:sweet im going yarding in the morning so hopefully i can find one....
Have you actually confirmed that your spout plug is missing? I didn't see mention of that anywhere. :dunno
Brad
preston240sx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by preston240sx »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
preston240sx wrote:sweet im going yarding in the morning so hopefully i can find one....
Have you actually confirmed that your spout plug is missing? I didn't see mention of that anywhere. :dunno
well since i never removed it and its not there yeah its missing ...it was never there when i bought the car ....kinda new to fords ... my other ride is a rb20det 240sx
preston240sx
Level 2
Level 2

yo yo

Post by preston240sx »

ok so i just got back from the junk yard im 3 spout pills richer lol i plugged the pill in and it still seems to run the same ...... but i guess you can't tell till after you drive it alittle ...im still having the knock sensor code pop though and im guessing maybe even the tps??? would'nt that code pop though?
turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by turboplz »

Ok, do this. With the pill in, set up your timing light up and tell us where your timing is at. With the pill in at idle you should be about 28-30* BTDC.

If your timing is not advancing than you have a more serious problem, potentially. What the problem might be beyond that I don't know, possibly bad ECU, grounds, wiring or dizzy maybe? Just shooting out first thoughts off the top of my head.

Let us know where your timing is at with the pill plugged in.

Jason
Jason

89 Xr4ti..."Bronze Turd"...long term project/current garage queen

2014 Focus ST
preston240sx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by preston240sx »

turboplz wrote:Ok, do this. With the pill in, set up your timing light up and tell us where your timing is at. With the pill in at idle you should be about 28-30* BTDC.

If your timing is not advancing than you have a more serious problem, potentially. What the problem might be beyond that I don't know, possibly bad ECU, grounds, wiring or dizzy maybe? Just shooting out first thoughts off the top of my head.

Let us know where your timing is at with the pill plugged in.

Jason
ok so i just took the timing with the pill in and it was about 30-32 degree's so do i turn it down a bit or leave it ? it was more toward the BTDC mark ... im assuming thats ok
turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by turboplz »

I would leave it as it is, you're probably right at 30*. Have you taken the car for a test spin yet? You'll probably feel like it has been heavily modified it will be so much quicker, lol.

Have you reset the computer since you pulled the codes originally? You need to unplug the battery for at least 5 minutes to reset everything. Plug the battery back in, fire up the car and go drive around for about 20 minutes or so.

Then when you get back pull the codes again and see what you have.
Jason

89 Xr4ti..."Bronze Turd"...long term project/current garage queen

2014 Focus ST
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

turboplz wrote:I would leave it as it is, you're probably right at 30*. Have you taken the car for a test spin yet? You'll probably feel like it has been heavily modified it will be so much quicker, lol.

Have you reset the computer since you pulled the codes originally? You need to unplug the battery for at least 5 minutes to reset everything. Plug the battery back in, fire up the car and go drive around for about 20 minutes or so.

Or yank the code reader when you get the separator between KOEO, and the continuous memory codes. It will be an 11 after you get the last KOEO code. Then recheck to be sure they are wiped.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now project car
1 14 black Fiesta SE aka Fiona- my new DD

DCLXVI
preston240sx
Level 2
Level 2

so..

Post by preston240sx »

milehighXR wrote:
turboplz wrote:I would leave it as it is, you're probably right at 30*. Have you taken the car for a test spin yet? You'll probably feel like it has been heavily modified it will be so much quicker, lol.

Or yank the code reader when you get the separator between KOEO, and the continuous memory codes. It will be an 11 after you get the last KOEO code. Then recheck to be sure they are wiped.
ok so just took the merkur on a nice 30 mile trip and before i left i cleared the codes ..... and after returning i took the codes and all i got was the code 77 failed dynamic response test..... my guess.... is bad TPS
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: so..

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

preston240sx wrote:ok so just took the merkur on a nice 30 mile trip and before i left i cleared the codes ..... and after returning i took the codes and all i got was the code 77 failed dynamic response test..... my guess.... is bad TPS
How'd you come up with that diagnosis? Again, in all liklihood, your TPS is fine.

I suspect you can go get your car inspected now and pass. But can you take it to a "test only" station first? Ask around about the implications of having your car fail twice as a "gross polluter". I believe in CA that label will dog you until you dispose of the car (what they really want you to do).
Brad
John R. Rowlands
Level 5
Level 5

FAILED SMOG CHECK NEED HELP !!!!

Post by John R. Rowlands »

preston240sx,

Dynamic Response Code 77 This code appeared because the system failed to recognize a brief WOT after Dynamic Response Code during Engine Ruining Self Test. If code 77 is still present replace ECA and repeat Quick Test. If no Code 77 Dynamic Response Test is passed. Repair any service codes received as required.

This is what the Ford manual says. If it was me I'd go and have it tested again. If you're not getting a TPS code then I don't think the TPS is the problem!

John
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
preston240sx
Level 2
Level 2

Re: FAILED SMOG CHECK NEED HELP !!!!

Post by preston240sx »

John R. Rowlands wrote:preston240sx,

Dynamic Response Code 77 This code appeared because the system failed to recognize a brief WOT after Dynamic Response Code during Engine Ruining Self Test. If code 77 is still present replace ECA and repeat Quick Test. If no Code 77 Dynamic Response Test is passed. Repair any service codes received as required.

This is what the Ford manual says. If it was me I'd go and have it tested again. If you're not getting a TPS code then I don't think the TPS is the problem!

John
what is the eca ? the same as the ecu? everytime i do the WOT test i still get the code 77 my book says after i get a code 10 do the WOT and i do that ..and it comes up code 77 thats the only code i get now... any idea's
Last edited by preston240sx on Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.