running issues

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
onebadazzsrt
Level 5
Level 5

running issues

Post by onebadazzsrt »

so I put my new turbo on and everything was running good, I had to take the turbo back off to put some new gaskets on a nd now it will make about 2lbs of boost in first gear, kinda hesitates arround 5-6,000, when I put it in second same thing and when you hit 5,000 boost kicks into 19lbs where I have it set. It sounds like the exhaust is leaking where the exhaust pipe meets the turbo elbow, could that be the problem.
J

1987 xr with rs500 fiberglass wing,outcast grill,new shoes,5.0 with GT40 package,powerdyne blower 9psi kit,255
John R. Rowlands
Level 5
Level 5

running issues

Post by John R. Rowlands »

onebadazzsrt,

It's more that likely that the turbo to exhaust manifold nuts are loose!

John
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
onebadazzsrt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by onebadazzsrt »

I checked those and they are tight, I did notice today it was leaking pretty bad at the elbow where it meets the exhaust pipeing. Could that be the problem, I plan on fixing the leak and see how it runs.
J

1987 xr with rs500 fiberglass wing,outcast grill,new shoes,5.0 with GT40 package,powerdyne blower 9psi kit,255
John R. Rowlands
Level 5
Level 5

running issues

Post by John R. Rowlands »

onebadazzsrt,

No, normally that would not effect the boost.

John
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
onebadazzsrt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by onebadazzsrt »

ok I'll check those bolts again, it seems like it only wants to boost under load,
J

Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Are you sure you reconnected the waste-gate actuator correctly (no interference of the shaft)?

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
xr4tchris
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xr4tchris »

Ed Lijewski Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:56 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you sure you reconnected the waste-gate actuator correctly (no interference of the shaft)?

YMMV
x2.my friend had a similar issue with his Merkur.
the actuator wasn't installed correctly
good luck
it starts 40% of the time,everytime
onebadazzsrt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by onebadazzsrt »

I think I might need a new wastegate then, I looked at it today and it sits at an angle, since my new housing is bigger I had to drill new holes for the old one to fit, so I guess I'll get a wastegate for that housing and see what happens.
J

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

onebadazzsrt wrote:I think I might need a new wastegate then, I looked at it today and it sits at an angle, since my new housing is bigger I had to drill new holes for the old one to fit, so I guess I'll get a wastegate for that housing and see what happens.
Say what? :shock: Can you elaborate a little on this, 'cause what you're saying sends up some red flags. What kind of an angle, and where are you drilling these holes?

Maybe give us some pix (unless you're a 'tard like me and can't figure out how to post them from Kodak Gallery...)?
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
onebadazzsrt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by onebadazzsrt »

the wastegate bracket is from the old turbo, I put it on the new turbo wich is a hair bigger, so I had to drill new holes on the bracket. But I checked it with a vacuum pump and it opens fine under the amount of pressure I set it to. So I will now check for the exhaust leak. Also I put a non-adjustable TPS on there, I checked the voltage on it and it's at .23 and full throttle is at like 3 volts, can I set it to .94 volts to see if it runs better or will I screw something up.
J

onebadazzsrt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by onebadazzsrt »

just pulled the codes from the ecu, and it's showing the egr wich is un-hooked, and the tps is out of range, wich sounds about right isn't full throttle supposed to be 4.5 or 5 volts, I'm only getting 3.23 at full throttle. I enlarged the slots on the non-adjustable tps so I can adjust it but I don't want to mess with it until I get some feedback, like what the diference is between the adjustable to non-adjustable.
J

turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by turboplz »

which tps did you put on? You can drill slots in it to make it an adjustable unit, did that when I put a topaz tps on.

closed should read .94-.99v and WOT should read above 4.5v. Sounds like that is definite issue you have.

I would also recheck your turbo to manifold gasket, which way did you face the "hump" of the gasket? The "hump" needs to be high side towards turbo. Those gaskets don't like to seal a lot of times unless they're perfect. Also, if you have a leak at that gasket, it could feel very much like a leak at the exhaust connection due to the way the exhaust is pulsating out.
Jason

89 Xr4ti..."Bronze Turd"...long term project/current garage queen

2014 Focus ST
CV12Steve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by CV12Steve »

I thought the whole point of the non-adjustable TPS was that it didn't need to be adjusted; just slap it on and it's good to go. If that's not the case, wouldn't it be better to get the adjustable ones than trying to jury-rig something?
Stephen
onebadazzsrt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by onebadazzsrt »

I drilled the slots out so I'll see how it runs tomorrow, and I did put the gasket on the right way. I learned that when I had my Turd bird.
J

onebadazzsrt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by onebadazzsrt »

CV12Steve wrote:I thought the whole point of the non-adjustable TPS was that it didn't need to be adjusted; just slap it on and it's good to go. If that's not the case, wouldn't it be better to get the adjustable ones than trying to jury-rig something?
Thats what I thought as well, the TPS is off of a mustang I beleive. I bought it from another member and it was new in the box. The leak from the exhaust elbow is a good size leak I can feel it blowing on my hand, I can't locate another leak anywhere else. Whatabout a clogged cat converter because she was running pig rich due to my 02 sensor never being fully grounded and the old tps wasn't even getting a reading.
J