wont start, just sputeres abit

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
jay_tibo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jay_tibo » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:17 pm

I took my last ride out with the merkur in November and it started fine no problem, then I instaled the gillis boost valve and broke a part of the vacume tree, I temporarely epoxiced it then started her up and I could hear a leak, now stupid me I tried to epoxy it while it was running and it sucked in the glue, I think it made its way through (i think thats one of the dumbas things I've done), anyways I shut it off epoxcied the leak and left for x-mas vacations, now I came back tried to start the car it turns over fine and sputeres abit and I could smell the gas but it dosen't start. What should be my first step? and the following ones as well?

Thanx for your help,

Cheers
Jeremie
Jeremie Thibeault

Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:43 pm

oh. wow. how thick was the epoxy?

If it actually made it to the intake manifold it might have done something funny with the injectors? maybe pop them out (easy to do) and ahve a look see. otherwise pull each vacuum hose off the tree and see which one has epoxy in it and replace. Might be as simple as the fuel pressure regulator got some epoxy in the line feeding it and is seeing 0 mm hg vacuum, which would make it run rich @ idle, hence the fuel smell.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com

jay_tibo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jay_tibo » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:57 pm

demonfire wrote:oh. wow. how thick was the epoxy?

If it actually made it to the intake manifold it might have done something funny with the injectors? maybe pop them out (easy to do) and ahve a look see. otherwise pull each vacuum hose off the tree and see which one has epoxy in it and replace. Might be as simple as the fuel pressure regulator got some epoxy in the line feeding it and is seeing 0 mm hg vacuum, which would make it run rich @ idle, hence the fuel smell.
Well the epoxy was fresh so it wasn't think all that much, and I would think that the sucktion would have brought it to the intake, well I'll get started on checking those vacume lines this weekend, man I feel dumb...lol
Jeremie Thibeault

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:57 pm

jay_tibo wrote:now stupid me I tried to epoxy it while it was running and it sucked in the glue, I think it made its way through (i think thats one of the dumbas things I've done)
You weren't looking for anyone to argue this point, right? :lol:

I can't imagine any way you would have hurt the injectors with what you've done here, but it's sorta unchartered territory. :poke I would start by doing a compression check - you want to make sure you haven't got a valve (or four) stuck open.

The flow of epoxy should have generally been from the tree to the intake manifold, but check the other lines for residue to verify.
Brad

John R. Rowlands
Level 5
Level 5

Post by John R. Rowlands » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:39 am

jay_tibo,

What I would do is pull each vacuum line off the "T" by itself and clean it out. Start with the one that runs from the vacuum "T" to the upper intake, don't forget the one that goes to the boost guage!

John
If it ain't broke don't fix it!