bang for the buck

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Phils85ti
Level 4
Level 4

bang for the buck

Post by Phils85ti »

im having to decide due to funds being limited which one am i gonna get the most HP out of my car... either a 2.5 exhaust from the stock DP, high flow cat, and no muff back. I know 3" is preferred but thats all i can afford right now and my car could use a new exhaust anyways.

or

install a FMIC

whats your thoughts ??
89 Red XR,
mods- Probe FMIC, hood scoop, LA2, Big Vam, 2.5 Exh. CAI, pillar mounted boost & a/f gauges, MBC @ 15, dual-wing hatch, aftrmkt. Trans. cooler,tinted windows, mesh grille insert

" Second place is just the first loser "

Phil
m4ff3w

Post by m4ff3w »

If it was my choice between only those two options, I'd go intercooler.
turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by turboplz »

IMO, I'd get the FMIC put on first as that is something that should have been done from the factory. This will in turn allow you to run more boost and less chance of detonation.

I also wouldn't spend the money of a 2.5" setup when you will probably go to a 3" at some point.
Jason

89 Xr4ti..."Bronze Turd"...long term project/current garage queen

2014 Focus ST
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

3" DP followed by a full 3" exhaust will get the best bang for the buck.
Liek the others siad you might not want to even bother with a 2.5 as you'll want to replace that with a 3" later on anyways.

IC is a good idea as well for many reasons as well but 3" DP and exhaust has always been first on my list to do with any 2.3T Ford.
aviatorpa23
Level 2
Level 2

Post by aviatorpa23 »

:D What he said ^^^^ times 10 and all the others that have said 3" down pipe and all the way back!! Then the big vam an LA3 or PE computer and some form of IC - You will not be sorry that you waited or spent the extra $. Anyway this is just IMO. This car responds so well to the 3", you will not believe the results. :!:
Jim D.
Retired and Accepting it!
Galen

Post by Galen »

Neither. Spend the money on a cheap welder and 14 inch cutoff saw (Harbor Freight is your friend) and make your own 3 inch exhaust and then pick up a cheap intercooler and make your own mounting and tubing. It is more work, but you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you did it yourself.
pacwest
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pacwest »

Galen has it right. Heck I used a freakin' hacksaw for my exhaust. I was too lazy to buy a new blade for my bandsaw.

Pipe and 2 u bends cost me VERY little from the jobber. The muffler was $40. Used my old stainless tip. Welded it up with my cheapo mig.

Yes, bang for buck will be exhaust, air filter, pull the knock sensor, adjust timing, intercooler, bump boost.

All can be rednecked quite cheaply.
Maurice S
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Maurice S »

You just need the down pipe really after that you can stay with the stock or 2.5...the dp's go for like 100 bucks...you can find them on ebay for 35 bucks now and then, I think someone on this board sells a pretty stainless one for $135??

exhaust above all else...except honor LOL!! or something like that.
85 XR '" Lightly Street Massaged"
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Maurice S wrote: I think someone on this board sells a pretty stainless one for $135??
$114.95:

http://www.merkur.50megs.com/catalog_3.html
Galen

Post by Galen »

Oh yea, forgot to add, if you get in good at an exhaust shop, you can probably haul off some of the extra systems that they pulled off other vehicles. I had a ton of Dodge Ram Hemi exhaust systems when a local dealer would swap them out for aftermarket systems. They were all 3 inch with mandrel bends...and they were free. Beer goes a long way!

Galen
Phils85ti
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Phils85ti »

thanks again for the info everyone.. :D
89 Red XR,
mods- Probe FMIC, hood scoop, LA2, Big Vam, 2.5 Exh. CAI, pillar mounted boost & a/f gauges, MBC @ 15, dual-wing hatch, aftrmkt. Trans. cooler,tinted windows, mesh grille insert

" Second place is just the first loser "

Phil