Removal of lamp out module

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
NiggyMerk
Level 4
Level 4

Removal of lamp out module

Post by NiggyMerk »

If I take the lamp out module and the the other module beside it right out will it affect anything else, other then the indicators?
1987 Xr4ti (Rosso Red) - LA3, Big VAM, Cossie exhaust housing,
Cosworth 2wd IC, Turbo back 3" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler,
TC rear disc brakes

Nick
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Don't do it! I won't proclaim to fully understand it, but the lighting circuits expect that computer to be there, and a couple of them won't operate properly without that unit in place. I recall that someone once figured out how to put some resistors in place of the computer for some of the circuits, but that sounded like too much work to me, so I just put it back in place, despite having removed the display.

As for the idiot light computer, there is no issue in removing that.
Brad
Garret
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Garret »

if those are those thingys in the dash, both have been gone from my XR the whole time I've been driving it with no ill effects
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Garret wrote:if those are those thingys in the dash, both have been gone from my XR the whole time I've been driving it with no ill effects
Okay, but don't say I didn't warn you when someone runs over you cause your brake lights didn't illuminate! :P
Brad
NiggyMerk
Level 4
Level 4

Post by NiggyMerk »

I just thought I could free up some space, but if it effects light operation I will find a way to keep them.

Thanks
TC rear disc brakes

Nick
Garret
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Garret »

Well I won't, but they have worked just dandy for a year now without the box, however it should be stated I always drive with the headlights turned on due to my tail light tint and not wanting to get a ticket :)
Maurice S
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Maurice S »

What "other" module??

The lampout indicator, and the frost warning dealy...iItook out a long time ago, with the clock also...and no ill effects, just blanked out the holes and left the wires there...

The "CRT Unit" LOL!! you can remove...I wouldnt remove anything else though, as Brad recommends.
85 XR '" Lightly Street Massaged"
85xr
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Removal of lamp out module

Post by 85xr »

bringing this back up. I know its older than dirt, but wondering how many are running without this display, without problems?
Have a guage panel that I want to install, but if it causes other problems, i'll try a different route.
thanks
greg
NiggyMerk
Level 4
Level 4

Post by NiggyMerk »

You can take the display out no problem. But leave the control module for it in. It's above the ECU.
TC rear disc brakes

Nick
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 »

If you look at the wiring diagram (EVTM or actual Maint Manual) you can see that the main light wiring (headlights, taillights, markers and turn signals...I think that's all) goes through the Lamp Out Module. That is why there are no relays for the headlamps because it simply measures if there is current going to the lamp...if it's burned out, no current. The Graphics display is separate and can be removed with no adverse effects. So just to clarify, if you remove the lamp out module, you will have no headlamps, taillamps, etc. I've removed it, it is not difficult, but you need to rewire everything. Mainly you just match the wires and splice together. The headlights you need to figure a way to put in relays. I will attempt to document this when I get some more time and maybe we can get it in the FAQ.
Tim Spencer
1988 XR4Ti Duratec project car
2011 Taurus SHO daily driver...not stock.
85xr
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 85xr »

thanks for the clarification guys.
greg