Merkur engine

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
johnsmerkur

Merkur engine

Post by johnsmerkur »

I just got a 86 merkur xr4ti and everything is there but the engine so I was wondering if a 2.3 turbo out of a mustang around the same year would be the same and I want to stick a DOHC head on it so i just need to know what will have the same wiring connections and bolt right in and where to get parts thanks a lot.
ALConfederate
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ALConfederate »

So far as I know a 2.3L is a 2.3L, and it doesn't matter if it comes out of a Merkur, an SVO, or a TC, so you're in luck there. :)

Now, as for a DOHC head, the only ones I know about (such as the Volvo B234F head; there's a good writeup at Merkurtech.com on that) require an awful lot of fabrication. Plus, the stock components have quite a lot of potential, so unless you just want the gee-whiz-look-at-this factor, I don't know that I'd bother.
Dave M.
'89 XR4Ti "The Black Death"
('cause it's black and spends a lot of time dead...)
John V
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Merkur engine

Post by John V »

johnsmerkur wrote:I just got a 86 merkur xr4ti and everything is there but the engine so I was wondering if a 2.3 turbo out of a mustang around the same year would be the same and I want to stick a DOHC head on it so i just need to know what will have the same wiring connections and bolt right in and where to get parts thanks a lot.
No DOHCs made it into production for this 2300 bottom end.

But no big deal, 8v and turbo works pretty damn good.

I have a fully 'freshened up' full engine just waiting here if you want to go that route.
New rod and main bearings, new rubber band, new rings, head checked for cracks ready to drop in.

Could be an easy way to get you car going.
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA
CALL =-> (206) 431-9696 <-= CALL

http://www.rallyrace.net/jvab/
johnsmerkur

Post by johnsmerkur »

How much do you want for it? And is it complete from oil pan to turbo
John V
Level 7
Level 7

Post by John V »

johnsmerkur wrote:How much do you want for it? And is it complete from oil pan to turbo
I hadn't thought about the total cost cause I built it as a spare for my daily driver or my wifey's daily driver.

I was thinking about (being honest I need the dough AND the space) maybe $850 and It can be pretty complete if any of the boys (Frag and Dere-X youse guys listening????!!!) I've LENT turbos to would return some in good shape.)

Do you gave the alternator, PS pump, and their mounts?
Got motor mounts?
Is yours manual trans (ie does youse need a flywheel/pressure plate?)

I have extras of all those so it could be ready to lower in and do a few electrical hook ups and a few hoses and fire it up!

Where you at out there, big damn state?

As for if this is OK check with any of the local PNW guy, they know me.

See the phone number down there?
Give a call (and have the cell phone charged up and a note pad and pen handy!!) We'll get this thing going sooner than you think.
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA

johnsmerkur

Post by johnsmerkur »

dang well i wish i had that much, kinda on a tight budget i lost my job. I found a 92 mustang with a 4 cylinder i dont know if it is the same though?
They had two merkurs and the heads and turbo parts were gone and same with the one turbo thunderbird so is there a difference in the head?
And if i get that one from the mustang will it bolt in and the wiring go together
Phils85ti
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Phils85ti »

the mustang head wont work if its not a turbo engine, it has different flow and different valves if im not mistaken. You have to find a 2.3L turbo motor to work with. Look on craigslist theres always engines on there for sale.
john, you can also ask on turboford im sure theres somone on there that can help you.
89 Red XR,
mods- Probe FMIC, hood scoop, LA2, Big Vam, 2.5 Exh. CAI, pillar mounted boost & a/f gauges, MBC @ 15, dual-wing hatch, aftrmkt. Trans. cooler,tinted windows, mesh grille insert

" Second place is just the first loser "

Phil
Rotisserie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rotisserie »

you could make the mustang head work, but it will require that you do a bit of turbo prepping. valves, cam, valve seats. combustion chamber modding. if you're a hard core DIY'er, you can technically do it. if you can source out a turbo head, you'll be better off with less chance of failure.

GL
RatFink
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RatFink »

johnsmerkur wrote:dang well i wish i had that much, kinda on a tight budget i lost my job. I found a 92 mustang with a 4 cylinder i dont know if it is the same though?
They had two merkurs and the heads and turbo parts were gone and same with the one turbo thunderbird so is there a difference in the head?
And if i get that one from the mustang will it bolt in and the wiring go together
Wow, if you can't afford a sweet deal on a fresh correct engine, maybe you should be selling your XR to someone who will take care of it... :roll:
Daniel Llewellyn

"You can never turn a pig into a race horse, but with enough development you can have a pretty damn fast pig".
Randy Pobst

I just love this guy:
hEaT wrote:Bit more work, but saved me $100 and I got to learn things, cut things, burn things and hammer things. All in all, a solid move.
ALConfederate
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ALConfederate »

Any 2.3 block will work, with a couple caveats. First, you will need turbo pistons and I think rods as well. The stock NA cast stuff just won't hold up in a turbo motor, plus they give you way too much compression. Secondly, there's an oil drain line coming off the bottom of the turbo. On a turbo motor, there's a passageway in the block itself where that line is plumbed in. If you get a 2.3 block that doesn't have that fitting drilled out, you'll have to run your turbo oil drain into the oil pan.

The upper-end stuff (heads and manifolds) are turbo-car specific, and you'll have to source them as such, either here, on Fee-bay, or another Ford turbo site. You'll also have to locate all the accessory bracketry and miscellanie you're missing.

Having said that, FWIW, that's a hell of a deal John offered you on his engine. Honestly, it'd be much cheaper in the long run for you if you could go with that.
Dave M.
'89 XR4Ti "The Black Death"
('cause it's black and spends a lot of time dead...)
johnsmerkur

Post by johnsmerkur »

Well if i can get a job hopefully you will still have the engine, im trying to sell my nova so if I sell that ill be headed there to get it, but not much I can do yet.
hotrodtodd68
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hotrodtodd68 »

Sorry to thread hijack, but...
Rotisserie wrote:you could make the mustang head work, but it will require that you do a bit of turbo prepping. valves, cam, valve seats. combustion chamber modding. if you're a hard core DIY'er, you can technically do it. if you can source out a turbo head, you'll be better off with less chance of failure.

GL

So you are saying a head from a '92 mustang (with 8 spark plugs) will work? Are the intake and exhaust ports the same? (Thinking about my next project)
88 2.3T Mustang, 85 XR4Ti("Humpty-Dumpty"), 86 XR4Ti(someday project), 02 Wrangler Sport, 68 Firebird(red,fun), 71 GMC1500(dumprunner), 93 Geo Storm GSi ("Stitch"), 65 Mustang Convertible, 12 Dodge Challenger R/T ("the fast car"), 12 Toyota Highlander ("the lux-o-barge")
Teedyo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Teedyo »

hotrodtodd68 wrote:Sorry to thread hijack, but...
Rotisserie wrote:you could make the mustang head work, but it will require that you do a bit of turbo prepping. valves, cam, valve seats. combustion chamber modding. if you're a hard core DIY'er, you can technically do it. if you can source out a turbo head, you'll be better off with less chance of failure.

GL

So you are saying a head from a '92 mustang (with 8 spark plugs) will work? Are the intake and exhaust ports the same? (Thinking about my next project)
Exhaust ports are the same, intake ports are not. Would need the later intake and DIS because the distributor interferes with the later intake.

Better put YMMV here. ;)
--
Tim
John V
Level 7
Level 7

Post by John V »

johnsmerkur wrote:Well if i can get a job hopefully you will still have the engine, im trying to sell my nova so if I sell that ill be headed there to get it, but not much I can do yet.
Not a panic, it's really comfy sitting on the stand there.
But!
There were very specific questions asked about how complete you needed it , what junk you have where exactly are you etc.
Go back, have a look.
Let's be optimistic that you will get a job AND sell the No-va

Why if i was a crasty ol' geezer I'd say "This is America, and you can do ANYTHING you want if you just try hard enough. TRY HARDER!!! HARDER!!

HARDER!!

But then again i ain't some crusty geezer and I know times are rough all round.
Stay in touch.[/u]
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

hotrodtodd68 wrote:So you are saying a head from a '92 mustang (with 8 spark plugs) will work?
Everything you need to know is here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ford23t-dp/

I've been running a DPH since 2000.
Brad