What cam and will it make a nice or small difference

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Cliff

What cam and will it make a nice or small difference

Post by Cliff » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:06 am

I am getting thins in order and setting up my winter projects. I am thinking of changing the cam and need to know what is the proven one to use and what can i expect from changing it?

Cliff

xrattiracer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrattiracer » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:38 am

best thing to do is call boport over on turboford and talk it over with him. there is no "one size fits all" cam, and he will be able to tell you which of his line will best fir your setup.
86 Silver XR4Ti. 'squirted. 12.7@111
03 VW Golf tdi
05 Yamaha FZ6

xr4man
Level 6
Level 6

Post by xr4man » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:35 pm

stock
ian the re-animator

AMXSC
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AMXSC » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:37 am

Here is Boport's website.

http://www.bo-port.com

One thing about cam selection is that a different cam without doing all the external mods won't really help all that much.

The external mods I'm talking about are the intercooler, porting the intake, porting the exhaust manifolds, 3 inch exhaust, big VAM, LA computer, more boost ect.... ect....

Then while doing these mods you will need to learn how to retune the computer to work with these mods. Just so that you know I'm not blowing smoke. My car has a stock cam and it makes 265hp running 18psi boost and it still does not have an intercooler and it looks dead stock.
1988 Merkur Xr4ti
1985 SVO Mustang
1985.5 SVO Mustang

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:30 pm

In other words, a fairly high state of tune can be achieved before you 'need' to begin looking at cams.
This is my car, and these are my people!
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed
2015 Edge 3.5 V6 Auto/Paddles

Cliff

updates

Post by Cliff » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:39 pm

I have a full 3" exhaust,Intercooler above the Rad set up, boost set at 18 psi, TC VAM and SVO Computer. So I am pretty far along, I just bought the car a few weeks ago and am waiting on a few parts to put it back togather. I needed to get it sorted out the BOV had the wrong spring in it and the IC tubeing was really bad. With forward facing intake and the better tubeing for the IC plus the right spring it should run allot better. I want to ge to around 300 RWHP and am wondering if the cam is the next step?

Cliff

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:05 pm

With all due respect, that is a fairly standard, bolt-on method of freeing up ponies already in your engine. Don't get me wrong; for me, it's pretty much all one needs to do, and I've been very happy with that type of setup.

Bang for the buck, and all of that.

I believe the consensus of opinion would be that modification of the head and all of the attendant, ancillary mods normally associated with realizing the potential thus achieved (more fuel, more air, etc.) would be considered as prerequisites to more cam.
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed

Cliff

Post by Cliff » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:24 pm

I might be that when it's all back togather that this is all I need and chances are I will like it and not go any farther. I just been out of the Merkur for a long time and was thinking out loud what the next step would be.

Cliff

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:39 pm

Don't take me as any kind of an authority-- I assure you, I'm not.

One of the interesting things about Merkur ownership is finding out what really makes you happy with the car. A helluva lot of folks I've talked to and/or read from have puked out the money for making big numbers, only to find out that living with the thing then became a PITA. A common refrain has been "I was really happy with about 250 horsepower... after that, the car became annoying/ difficult to drive on the street/ problematical/ it wasn't worth it," etc., etc.

And I'm talking about some very well-known and -respected people here and elsewhere, and of course I'm also talking about cars still used as transportation vs. only for racing, or occasionally, or what have you.

Opinions, like excuses, are like you-know-what's: everyone has one, and they all stink... mine's no exception, but that's the way I see it.
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed

Cliff

Post by Cliff » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:01 pm

John, Good points and I was concerned about the every day use. Your right some cars making big number's do it at WOT and that is how they are designed. So I'll see how it all come toghather with what I have. Got a quess as to the HP I might be at with the mods so far?

Cliff

bw_krupp
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bw_krupp » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:30 pm

Just my rambling thoughts but, I would get the car setup and running on the street, put some miles on it, and then decide what the car needs vs what other people tell you. Example, the cossie T3 on my car develops full boost at ~2000-2200 rpm. So do I get a Bo's 1.9 cam that quite a few like, or get the 1.1 cam to take advantage of the low rpm capabilities of the turbo? (Hint: it'll be the 1.1 cam, just waiting to get it back on the road first)

Not everyones car or driving techniques are the same.

BeefFajitas
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BeefFajitas » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:30 pm

John Brennan wrote:Don't take me as any kind of an authority-- I assure you, I'm not.

One of the interesting things about Merkur ownership is finding out what really makes you happy with the car. A helluva lot of folks I've talked to and/or read from have puked out the money for making big numbers, only to find out that living with the thing then became a PITA. A common refrain has been "I was really happy with about 250 horsepower... after that, the car became annoying/ difficult to drive on the street/ problematical/ it wasn't worth it," etc., etc.

And I'm talking about some very well-known and -respected people here and elsewhere, and of course I'm also talking about cars still used as transportation vs. only for racing, or occasionally, or what have you.

Opinions, like excuses, are like you-know-what's: everyone has one, and they all stink... mine's no exception, but that's the way I see it.
I think the biggest reason for that opinion is the crappy gearing the car has stock. I've got 4.10s and my motor doesn't start making juice until 4k, but I can lug the motor just fine. The gearing makes up for it.

I also think the lack of good cams has helped perpetuate that opinion. Bo has really opened up a new world.
-Nate
'85 Merk. Back together. Only thing stock is the head and block.

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:24 pm

Thanks, Nate-- that's exactly the sort of response I was hoping to get from that statement.

Let's hear more about it!
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed

mangostick
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mangostick » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:43 pm

as a rule of thumb, turbo cars like milder cams with little overlap and mild events. This has been preached and preached and yet everyone still (including myself) goes with a bigger gnarly cam.

I stepped back to a .400 lift 200* duration cam and was exponentially pleased with it vs the lumpy monster cam. Mild cams Idle nice, have fatter torque curves and keep that light switch "on/off" power response to a minimum. The stock cam is a nice cam.. can go very far without changing that at all. If you want to go roller, I highly recommend the Racerwalsh turbo cam. Stock delivery.. just more of it.

Another thing to consider aside of the cam is how quickly you can get on the boost.

Faster the better, earlier your into boost the more usable it is. ;)
where'd I put that damned hammer?? :-D

Shawn Mangan

xrattiracer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrattiracer » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:23 pm

that is not at all true.
A stock type setup with a small restrictive turbo does better with a cam that has a lower rpm range, like most mild cams.
But that same cam in a modded setup with a larger turbo that actually flows decent at higher rpm will perform pretty poorly compared to a cam that targets the higher rpm range.
Also the cam that comes on earlier may feel faster, but actually makes overall less power. Theres nothing magical about getting into boost at lower rpm. what matters is having a large range of rpm with decent power output. whether that is from 2000-5000 or 4000-7000, it doesnt matter as long as you can stay within that range when shifting.
In the end what matters is that the cam matches the rest of the engine and turbo setup. And someone like Bo is in a much better position to provide that recommendation than we are :)
86 Silver XR4Ti. 'squirted. 12.7@111
03 VW Golf tdi
05 Yamaha FZ6