Rear Wheel Seals...don't measure up!

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
onebad7up
Level 1
Level 1

Rear Wheel Seals...don't measure up!

Post by onebad7up »

I ordered wheel bearing and seal for the XR. They came in today so I began the install. When I got to the wheel seals (Timken 224252) I noticed that it was a little small. Do I have the wrong part or is my hub off another car?

The rear is converted to disc using the TC calipers.

The wheel seal that came off measures 65mm whereas the new part measures 62mm. Its kind of hard to make up for that 3mm difference...

Thoughts?
zero pistons
Level 4
Level 4

Post by zero pistons »

When i needed wheel bearing seals for my car and none of the local auto parts suppliers could get them, I found a place in the yellow pages called Canadian Bearing and seal.

I gave them the dimensions(diameters, seat height) and specifications (triple lip) of the old bearings, which i now forget, and they ordered me up a set; I believe it was a Timken part also, but it's been a while and the packaging for them is long gone...tapped them in and they fit perfectly though. Those hubs have 35000km on them now and have been on 2 different Merkurs, no issues.

I know you're not in Canada, but maybe you have something equivalent to that in your area?

Hope some of my ramblings help....
Andrew Nicholson
87 XR4Ti, 305000 km. In primerl, t9, Rapido suspension & swaybars, poly bushings, HKS SSQ BOV, Plymouth Laser seats, Custom guages/dash lighting, 2.5" turboback, mk3 Supra intercooler, LA3/large VAM, Nissan Pulsar e-fans.
87 XR4Ti, 181000km. Parts car.
87 RX7 TurboII, 179000km. Needs love.
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

onebad7up
Level 1
Level 1

Post by onebad7up »

It is a little late for the mc2 kit, especailly since I have already installed the races.

I wonder what seals they use. If their seals fit, I would buy just the seals.
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

They do.
And the price can't be beat. :D
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
jkxr4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jkxr4ti »

Use the SKF seals, I prefer those over the timkens for quality. I believe Chris at MC2 sells the SKF seals with the kits and probably if you ask nice he would sell you just the seals.
Jeremy Kemp

RIP: the Mutt….1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI
onebad7up
Level 1
Level 1

Post by onebad7up »

Does anyone know what size the seal is? If it is 65mm I will contact mc2.
onebad7up
Level 1
Level 1

Post by onebad7up »

Can anyone help? Measure a spare hub diameter...or seal....

The car is just sitting in the air until I get the correct parts.
aviatorpa23
Level 2
Level 2

seal dia

Post by aviatorpa23 »

Ford part number E5RY-1190-A - which is the seal called for, measures a shade under 65 mm - do not ask what a "shade measures" as I am not measuring with a caliper, but a tired ruler, rotated on an arc to get highest reading. So 65mm sounds like the correct diameter. I am sure these seals available from many suppliers. Regards
Jim D.
Retired and Accepting it!
onebad7up
Level 1
Level 1

Post by onebad7up »

The Timken part number Autozone had for the front hubs worked well.

Car is back on the road and should hit the alignment shop tomorrow.
CV12Steve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by CV12Steve »

IIRC many parts stores have the wrong part number listed for the XR rear bearings/seals - it is the same as the fronts.
Stephen
cooperl
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cooperl »

CV12Steve wrote:IIRC many parts stores have the wrong part number listed for the XR rear bearings/seals - it is the same as the fronts.
Does that mean the part number for the rear and front seals should be the same, or should be different?
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

Just ask for front bearings and seals. Remember you'll need 2x as many seals for the back.
Check to be sure they're the triple lip seals. Bearing/seal replacement isn't something you want to do more often than necessary.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

As Joe suggested, have you tried contacting MC2 about just getting the (correct) seals? That would seem to be the easy answer here since they actually know how to spell Merkur. :dunno
Brad