Fan in front of radiator...???...??

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
sonur
Location: In my garage stroking my XR "If You Ain't First, You're Last"

Post by sonur »

Guys I have a heading problem

I have a merkur with newly installed megasquirt

the fan in front of engine is connected to megasquirt and comes on when headed, to day the merk got mapped and was driven for two hours and we stopped often to check engine bay and always good and just on our way home when I parked it in the garage and let it cool off for a minute and swithced of power, open hood, went for a rench to take the battery out and then out of nowhere water started to buble out of the bottle where you poor the water in.. and it kept bubling for 5-10minutes

Is the front fan suppose to be connected also? and just to make another input, the AC has been removed and the header dosen´t work in the car.
and I floored the car many times on the way back to the garage.

any hints taken
Xr4ti ´85 - Megasquirt II, home made coilovers, Walbro.
ae101 Corolla 4wd ´95 - FK lowering springs, K&N CAI.

Yeah, Im more like you then you think! Im behind you :O
IceColdMikey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by IceColdMikey »

The fan will only come on if a certain temperature is reached.

As the car was "I floored the car many times on the way back to the garage" hot, when you parked, the residual heat from the engine heats up the non-moving coolant, and causes expansion, making it 'leak' out. If you have an over-flow tank as well, no worries, because as it cools, it will suck the water back in. If you don't have an over-flow, then you will probably need to top it off again.
Mike
sonur

Post by sonur »

IceColdMikey wrote:The fan will only come on if a certain temperature is reached.

As the car was "I floored the car many times on the way back to the garage" hot, when you parked, the residual heat from the engine heats up the non-moving coolant, and causes expansion, making it 'leak' out. If you have an over-flow tank as well, no worries, because as it cools, it will suck the water back in. If you don't have an over-flow, then you will probably need to top it off again.
yea the over-flow tank is in there and connected to the waterbottle reserver but the water poored out of the over-flow tank and out of the waterbottle reserver! it was a little strange becaus the water dind´t buble out raight away as I durned the motor off, got my lasy as to open the hood and got time to find the right 13mm rench and walk to the battery and start unbolt it out then the water started to buble.
and just when the water started to buble I turned the key for the fan to come on to cool it off for 5-10minutes then finaly it quit bubling

Im thinking could it bee that my headgasget just popped?
or my Garrett was somehow realy hot after all that flooring and still hot after 1-2 minutes of cooling down sitting still and that after couble of minutes headed the water bit by bit for it to buble out?

Damn I hate cars that I dont know nothing about :oops:

Freejack
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Freejack »

Unlikely to be a head gasket. I concur that it was likely due to the lack of coolant flow allowing the water in certain areas of the head to boil.

If I had to guess as to why it took some time before this happen, I would say the T-Stat had been open when you shut the car down and continued to allow coolant to circulate into the radiator via convection. Once the system cooled enough to allow the stat to close, the heat in the head began to form steam pockets that displaced the coolant, forcing it into the reservoir, then the overflow.

While it is somewhat normal to have this happen occasionally especially if your cap is weak and not holding full system pressure, it is not normal to fill up the overflow bottle to the point it pukes out on the ground. My guess is that you have a bad cap and it is not holding any pressure.

Jake
Jake Schnarre
In the St. Louis area? Join the St. Louis Area Merkur Owners Network (SLAMON) - http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/slamon/
sonur

Post by sonur »

Freejack wrote:Unlikely to be a head gasket. I concur that it was likely due to the lack of coolant flow allowing the water in certain areas of the head to boil.

If I had to guess as to why it took some time before this happen, I would say the T-Stat had been open when you shut the car down and continued to allow coolant to circulate into the radiator via convection. Once the system cooled enough to allow the stat to close, the heat in the head began to form steam pockets that displaced the coolant, forcing it into the reservoir, then the overflow.

While it is somewhat normal to have this happen occasionally especially if your cap is weak and not holding full system pressure, it is not normal to fill up the overflow bottle to the point it pukes out on the ground. My guess is that you have a bad cap and it is not holding any pressure.

Jake
I think your right on that one, I just came from the garage and the cap on the bottle reservor wasent srewed all the way on, I could tighten it (if we use the clock to display, a 30minutes srewing)

sonur

Post by sonur »

Problem solved, just took the merk a good turbo blowing runn and no overheading problem.

but shuld I connect the front fan to? for more cooling

jetmankt

Post by jetmankt »

reference -- 88 XR4TI Electrical and Vacuum troubleshooting manual
pgs 91 to 94
Front fan A/C condensor -- Rear fan engine cooling
The only time the engine cooling fan will manually activate is if you turn on the heater blower switch and depress the Air condition switch --
This WILL NOT turn on the A/C fan ( go figure )
Both fans will come on automatically if the engine temperature gets too high -- the engine coolant fan will come on anytime ( ignition on or off ) but the A/C fan will only run with ignition ON in the over temp condition.
The A /C fan will only come on with the air condition system running when the switch on top of the reciever drier senses excessive freon system high side pressure -- this pulls extra air through the condensor and starts lowering the high side pressure which keeps the high side from blowing things apart --
quick test is to uplug and jumper the engine coolant temp switch but as it is located under the intake manifold - its a real pain -- both fans should come on ( ignition on / heater blower on / a/c switch on )
Both fan relays are located on the drivers ( left ) fender by the washer fluid bottle -- both relay motor leads ( heavy wire -- large relay blade terminals ) are red & ( black / red ) - the engine coolant fan relay small wires are ( black / white ) & brown -- the A/C fan relay small wires are
( black / yellow / red ) & ( brown / Black )
unplug the relay ( ignition on / heater blower on / a/c switch on ) and jumper the large terminals in the connector -- the appropriate fan should run -- if fan doesnt run - disconnect the fan motor leads and put direct battery power to the motor -- no run = bad motor --
if fan runs jumpered but doesnt run when required by normal system operation then you probably have a bad fan relay ( very common ) --
Point to remember -- the air condition system will not come on as the wide open throttle relay will remain energized by the engine
computer ( EEC )( A/C circuits disabled ) until appx 15 seconds after engine start - this will also keep the A/C fan inoperative ( ignition on / heater blower on / a/c switch on ) engine off unless there is an high engine temp condition ( which bypasses the WOT relay )
Engine cooling fan operation not affected by WOT relay
See -- clear as Mississippi mud --
Test the system to see if it will run when conditions demand operation but do not sweat it ( air condition humor ) if you never see the A/C fan running during normal operation -- 1/ 4 on temp gauge and good high side pressures --
hope this helps a little
if you need the wiring diagrams -let me know and I will try to get them
scanned and posted or I can Email them to you
KEITH
85 XR4TI
88 XR4TI
91 Mark 7
96 town car
sonur

Post by sonur »

if you need the wiring diagrams -let me know and I will try to get them
scanned and posted or I can Email them to you
That helped, but just that I dont have A/C in the car.
woulden it be good to plug the front fan to come on with the other fan for more cooling? or would it mess things up?

and yes, I would like those Wiring Diagrams but only if its no hassel

Email: sonur@msn.com

thanks in advance