Leaking power steering line

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Leaking power steering line

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

I figure this should be cut and dry but why not ask...is there anything unusual i should know about replacing a power steering line? I'm not even sure which one it is just yet but it's leaking pretty bad from underneath.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Are you talking about the high-pressure line, or a return line?

The high-pressure line should come with a new O-ring, and be careful about the relatively soft threads-- start it by hand, then use two wrenches, one to tighten the threads, and the other to hold the fitting behind it. I don't know the torque spec offhand, but don't overtorque it. Make sure everything is perfectly clean. There is a plate that bolts or screws onto the steering box housing-- remove that, and the line press-fits into it. When done, flush the system with fresh fluid-- many use ATF, the specs call for "Type F" tranny fluid-- opinions vary on this-- and be sure to turn the wheel from lock to lock to bleed out the air bubbles, or it will whine even more than it almost surely already does!

Nothing special about the return lines, just again be sure it's all really clean and flush/bleed as above.

Some people like to put in a filter and/or a cooler-- both are good ideas. A search will turn up plenty of posts on those topics.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

Where's the leak?
If it's from the driver's side bumper area, just bypass the "cooling loop".
Do yourself a favour, and plumb in a trans cooler for the fluid.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

Like i said i haven't even been under it to check but i know it's a pretty bad leak. It's definitely on the driver's side though (obviously lol).

By press fit, do you mean there's special tools required to install a new one? It doesn't just thread into the rack?
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

No special tool(s) required. By press fit, I mean friction fit; you can easily wiggle the thing in and out by hand.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

Ok and the plate deal you mentioned is what holds that in place? I follow ya. Right now it's sitting in 2 feet of snow drift or i would get under it and see exactly where the leak is coming from.
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

on the rack the plate deal is a single 10mm bolt that holds the plate down, kind of like the speedometer cable into the tranny.
on the pump there is the high pressure line (16mm fitting, the nut on the pump itself is a 15/16 or there abouts). low pressure is simple clamps.

on the rack be careful - when i replaced my rack my stock line was pretty much seized in there. I had purchased new lines but it took me a while to get that seperated.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

Thanks i'll keep that in mind. I asked because there's always some stupid issue like that especially with cars like these. Little jobs never go as easy as they're supposed to.

I'm for the most part a glorified Mustang mechanic...i'd never say i'm a mechanic, but i know a LOT about Mustangs and that's where i get my wrenching experience. To this day i can still say the hardest and most frustrating thing i've ever done was replace the pressure line on the PS...because the damn thing would NOT thread up on the rack (they screw in instead of having the bolt/plate deal). I must have spent a solid hour in the blazing heat of summer fumbling around trying to get the damn thing to bite a thread and screw in. I have swapped engines with less frustration.
EVIL_XR4
Level 7
Level 7

Post by EVIL_XR4 »

Well it turned out to be the front loop that's up in the driver's side corner of the bumper that was leaking. I got under it this morning, no jack or ramps or anything, and decided to take the lazy man route and bypass only that section of loop because the rest looked like it was in pretty good condition (the loop going across the front of the rack itself). I just cut the rubber line where it connects to that section of metal tube and ran some new hose from that up to the fluid reservoir and removed the front loop which came apart in pieces.

Of course while under there i got a good look at how jacked up my bushings are and how the leak left a nice sheen of fluid all over the bottom of my car. :roll:
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

Mike McCreight wrote:Where's the leak?
If it's from the driver's side bumper area, just bypass the "cooling loop".
Do yourself a favour, and plumb in a trans cooler for the fluid.

AHA! :D
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!