New XR4Ti owner: questions

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
Longitudinal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Longitudinal » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:40 pm

Grayson wrote:I'm between Dayton and Cincinnati if you ever want to swing by, BTW.
Understood on the prices and quality. I probably will not need the diff mount, as I am likely going the Supra route, but, still, understood. Better parts is better parts.

Funny about your location; I went twice that way to look at XR4Tis. The second time, I bought the car. First time was to Mount Orab, about a half a million miles off the Wilmington exit from 71. The second time was to New Carslisle.

Longitudinal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Longitudinal » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:31 pm

Idle problem solved. There was an uncapped hose fitting on the T that joins the intake manifold and the brake booster, among other things. There was probably a hose that belonged there at one time, but I have no idea what it might have been.

Idle still searches a little, but it is smooth--no 300d cam sound anymore. Thanks to my friend Pete for helping to find the leak.

Also, I asked Pete what he thought this little device on the passenger side inner fender was, which had two cut hoses and an electrical connection. He said that it is probably the boost controller. This would explain something odd I discovered a while ago: the boost reference fitting on the compressor housing has two outlets. One leads to the WG, and the other to the inlet flange on the compressor. This makes no sense, as the boost can just escape to the inlet side without ever opening the WG. The hose connecting the pressure and inlet sides should not be there, and in their place should be a pair of hoses leading to the controller, correct?