Fender liners

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
mike63
Level 1
Level 1

Fender liners

Post by mike63 »

Is there any option other than buying $ 200 liners or going with out on the front wheels ? Also I just finished putting a new clutch and rear seal in and noticed that under the intake on the block there is a sensor but I can not find the wire that goes to it. It looks like some type of heat sensor but my gauge on the dash works?
zero pistons
Level 4
Level 4

Post by zero pistons »

I have heard the Ford Taurus ones can be made to fit.

I've decided to go without and spray bedliner in the wheel wells to prevent rust/stone chips.

Every xr4ti i have seen, the fender liners crumble when you touch them let alone try and take them off.

I actually managed to get ONE off on my monowhite car completely intact. Then i set it on the garage floor and it crumbled as soon as it hit the concrete. Plastic really has come a long way since the mid-eighties....
Andrew Nicholson
87 XR4Ti, 305000 km. In primerl, t9, Rapido suspension & swaybars, poly bushings, HKS SSQ BOV, Plymouth Laser seats, Custom guages/dash lighting, 2.5" turboback, mk3 Supra intercooler, LA3/large VAM, Nissan Pulsar e-fans.
87 XR4Ti, 181000km. Parts car.
87 RX7 TurboII, 179000km. Needs love.
aaul00
Level 2
Level 2

Post by aaul00 »

I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I did a ton of looking around for fender liners. Thanks to a hookup at my local Advance Auto Parts, I was able to get in liners from a few different applications to see what would work best. I don't want to contradict zero, but the first set of liners I ordered in were from a first-gen Taurus... they were relatively ginormous IMHO. I made that choice based on info I found on here, so maybe somebody made them work but I did not. The second suggestion was for fox-body Mustang liners... interestingly enough, they weren't available to order and they were REALLY pricey online. FINALLY I had some sn95 Mustang liners ordered in (specifically for a 95 GT) and they were close enough to buy and give it a shot. Despite needing some trimming, they worked fantastically for me. At about $25 per liner, they were relatively inexpensive as well. If you're interested, I can snap some pictures so you can see the finished product. I would say that it only took about 45 minutes to have both of them trimmed and installed so it wasn't a major ordeal.
-Andrew Aul
zero pistons
Level 4
Level 4

Post by zero pistons »

I would love to see pics...the taurus liners looked big to me too, so i didn't bother taking them from the junkyard....I would like to get something better than the bedliner i have now...the power steering loop in front of the left front tire looks like it wouldn't like to get hit by a rock without breaking.

Like I said, "i have heard"....love to see where some of you have went with this issue everyone seems to have.
Andrew Nicholson
87 XR4Ti, 305000 km. In primerl, t9, Rapido suspension & swaybars, poly bushings, HKS SSQ BOV, Plymouth Laser seats, Custom guages/dash lighting, 2.5" turboback, mk3 Supra intercooler, LA3/large VAM, Nissan Pulsar e-fans.
87 XR4Ti, 181000km. Parts car.
87 RX7 TurboII, 179000km. Needs love.
aaul00
Level 2
Level 2

Post by aaul00 »

I just pulled a wheel and took some pics for you guys. Keep in mind that there WAS definitely trimming involved (we don't have Mustangs after all) but it wasn't that bad. I think the end result turned out pretty good. Here you go:

-Andrew Aul
IceColdMikey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by IceColdMikey »

That's excellent news and great pics sir! Now we know what to get that WILL fit!

Thanks.
Mike
JimG
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JimG »

These look great! Where did you finally order them from? Do you have a part number?

Thanks for your post I've been looking for a solution for my '86XR that didn't cost a fortune.
Jim Gosses
86 XR4TI, 165K, T-5, IC, RR, PBR Fronts, T-bird Rear Discs
gangaskan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gangaskan »

may have to pick some up :)
aaul00
Level 2
Level 2

Post by aaul00 »

These look great! Where did you finally order them from? Do you have a part number?

Thanks for your post I've been looking for a solution for my '86XR that didn't cost a fortune.
Like I said, I was able to go through Advance Auto Parts for these. It wasn't a regular item though. My local store ordered these through Keystone Crash Parts which is a supplier that they work with. I'm not sure of the part number. Because of my "hookup," they cost me about $24 per liner. I believe regular price was about $30, but I also found 1995 Mustang liners on ebay for about the same price that I paid... I just don't know how anybody feels about ebay.

Also, there's a small note that I forgot to mention: The only problem that I had with the liners as far as clearance was some minor rubbing on the left side at full lock. It was completely remedied after putting some heat to it and bending the one area in a bit. Otherwise, there were no issues. Just make sure to take your time trimming and don't take too much off. I guess I didn't tell you guys how I got a little overzealous with my chopping and had to buy another liner... that one can be chalked up as user error. :lol:
-Andrew Aul
duncan1437
Level 2
Level 2

Post by duncan1437 »

i just picked up 2 merkur fender liners at carlisle, so i'm kinda curious what the 1995 mustang liners sell for in canada.

the answer is $49 each....NAPA ($49.95), crosscanadaparts.com ($48.21) and probodyparts.com ($48.19).

if anyone in the toronto/hamilton area buys the mustang liners, you can use my merkur liners as a template to trim the mustang liners if you want.
Camaro5690
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Camaro5690 »

rock auto has em for 10-15 bucks a piece!
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

Camaro5690 wrote:rock auto has em for 10-15 bucks a piece!
Thanks, just placed my order for a pair. $41 shipped!
aaul00
Level 2
Level 2

Post by aaul00 »

Holy cow! That's impressive. Hopefully they're the same exact thing that I worked with... haha, I have faith.

Remember how I said that I messed one up? Well, I got one initially just to see if it would work and it did... but I cut too much off. When I ordered a new pair (after hacking one, but now knowing that they would work) the two that came in weren't even made by the same manufacturer as the first one I got. They fit the same, though.

That's a great price on rockauto... Hopefully they come in just fine for you guys. Assuming they do, that's an excellent $40 solution to an almost $300 problem 8) .
-Andrew Aul
John V
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Fender liners

Post by John V »

mike63 wrote:Is there any option other than buying $ 200 liners or going with out on the front wheels ? Also I just finished putting a new clutch and rear seal in and noticed that under the intake on the block there is a sensor but I can not find the wire that goes to it. It looks like some type of heat sensor but my gauge on the dash works?
Yeah, leave them out.
Directly behind the fronts a small cover could be cut out of anything but the whole "pantie liner" idea is a made up thing serving no actual use.
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA
CALL =-> (206) 431-9696 <-= CALL

http://www.rallyrace.net/jvab/
merkurmaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Post by merkurmaniac »

On the fender liners, I DO think that they must make a difference sound wise. While watching Modern Marvels on the discovery channel, I saw one on highways. They were building sound barriers on the sides of the highways for noise. They found that most of the noise was NOT from the exhaust of cars, but more from the tires on the road. As the tire rolls, it traps air between it and the road, and it ends up like clapping your hands. They are studying more porous pavement to allow this air some escape route.

I have no fender liners, and my car is loud on the highway. I have a really quiet exhaust too. I will be trying the fender liners.

That other sensor could be a temp senser as these cars used three. One for the dash guage, one to switch the fan, and one for the computer (engine coolant temperature sensor-decides if the car is warmed up or not.) Modern cars use one to do all three functions.