IAC

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
85xr
Level 2
Level 2

IAC

Post by 85xr » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:16 pm

i am installing a rotated intake to my new motor, as im sure you all know that the throttle linkage hits the hood liner. so i cut a piece out of the hood liner for the linkage, seems to be fine except now the IAC is hitting. my question is, can the IAC be mounted backwards? doesnt look like it can as only one port goes thru the throttlebody.
have seen pics of others that have it facing forward, but if possible, i would like to face it back.????????? thanks
greg

Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:50 pm

No you cannot mount the IAC backwards, but you can and should get rid of that hood insulation.

thedrill
Level 4
Level 4

Re: IAC

Post by thedrill » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:55 pm

85xr wrote:i am installing a rotated intake to my new motor, as im sure you all know that the throttle linkage hits the hood liner. so i cut a piece out of the hood liner for the linkage, seems to be fine except now the IAC is hitting. my question is, can the IAC be mounted backwards? doesnt look like it can as only one port goes thru the throttlebody.
have seen pics of others that have it facing forward, but if possible, i would like to face it back.????????? thanks
I think you can use the shorter IAC off one of the later fords, as the xr4 one is fairly long.
Russ
Stable is vacant..

85xr
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 85xr » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:49 pm

but you can and should get rid of that hood insulation.
just out of curiosity, why should i remove the liner?
I think you can use the shorter IAC off one of the later fords
which later fords are we talking about, as ill get one and see if it helps?
greg

Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:09 pm

I asked that question a few months ago about the liner. It tends to sag over the years and people have had issues with their throttle linkage rubbing or getting caught in it. Since you're having clearance issues, why not? It also retains any oil if any was spewing around and can catch on fire. It also retains heat. To me, the hood will act as a huge heatsink if the insulation is removed.
Almost everyone here has done it, so I went ahead and removed it.
In my opinion it cleans up the engine bay, even though its not physically in the engine bay, know what I mean?

jkxr4ti
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jkxr4ti » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:44 pm

I think the shorter IAC was from a tempo but brad or somone else can chime in for sure. I believe that one had an internal diode, so you may need to remove the one in your harness. You can also run the remote IAC from an 80's 2.3 ranger too.
Merkur....Its German for Mutt....Mustang, Saab, Volvo, Lincoln, Contour, Cummins... and the list goes on.

Jeremy Kemp

1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI

thedrill
Level 4
Level 4

small IAC

Post by thedrill » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:54 pm

I used a 5.0 IAC on my XR, and it worked fine.. dont think that the extra diode will cause a problem as its still sending the power the same direction, someone will chime in if Im wrong!! well it worked for me.
Russ
Stable is vacant..