Another noob question here.

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
noslack2mack
Level 2
Level 2

Another noob question here.

Post by noslack2mack »

Hey is the short shaft T5 I keep reading about the same ones that Ford used in the 80's through '93 Mustangs? I know the SN95 (94-95) T5 is different somehow. Is that the difference?
I'm sure there's no point in goofing around, so I'm going with a World Class T5 when I do this. I'm interested in what gearing everyone is using with it though. I know about the 2.95 option one....the other I think is like 3.35??? The standard one ....whatever it was. Thanks for the feedback!
Anybody ever try to shoehorn a Tremec into one of these XR's? Maybe a TKO? Those were a common upgrade for a Fox body Mustang and I think Saleen was using them for a while before everything went 6 spd. Doubt it would fit and the bell housing would probably be a real ba5tard to do, but who knows. Just a thought.
Ronald Reagan was the best thing that ever happened to this country.

-Mike
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I know you're asking questions, but you're not really making sense - no idea what you're asking re: short shaft.

The most common used T-5 is the 3.97 box, since that's what was used behind the 2.3 from the factory.
Brad
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

All Ford T5s got the same length input shaft (although the V8s have a larger pilot), except for '94+ and newer. '94 and '95 was the only years for the long input T5 behind a V8, but the V6s continued to get the long input T5 for a number of years.

FWIW, the long input shaft is about .5" longer than the standard one:

3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
noslack2mack
Level 2
Level 2

Post by noslack2mack »

DPDISXR4Ti - I think the breakdown of our communication may be in that I've been telling myself that I will be using a V8 T5???? My thinking was- A) I get more banging before the tranny goes *BANG because they are rated for more torque. B) A V8 T5 is easier for me to find since everyone I know has Mustang stuff laying around. C) If I wait and watch, I might find that slick Cobra job with the tapered bearing. But I see now that the gearing of the V8 stuff is not right. Soooo.... I'm stuck with a 2.3 T5??? Alllllllllllllrighty then. Aren't they like 200lb/ft or something????

MerkXRTurbo- Hey thanks for the info! That pic is exactly what I was thinking about.
Ronald Reagan was the best thing that ever happened to this country.

-Mike
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

The 2.3 T5s are rated for like 235 lb/ft or something like that, but I have put CONSIDERABLY more power through them and driven the piss out of them with no problems.

The gearing for the V8 T5s is fine. I wouldn't run a 3.36 rear with a 4 cylinder, but 3.64 rear should be fine. Nice tall OD for cruising! 8)
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
John V
Level 7
Level 7

Post by John V »

noslack2mack wrote: But I see now that the gearing of the V8 stuff is not right. Soooo.... I'm stuck with a 2.3 T5??? Alllllllllllllrighty then. Aren't they like 200lb/ft or something????

MerkXRTurbo- Hey thanks for the info! That pic is exactly what I was thinking about.
Not so fast there.
Look at the gearing the manual Xratty comes with and look at the common mid80s /early 90s V8 Ford T5s had---virtually indistinguishable,except 5th.
Indeed the differences could be simple math rounding off differences.

Look at the complaints people have of the stock type 9: 1st is too short.

Does it make sense to gear 1st another 15% shorter to 3.97???

You making a pick up truck???

The steps in the gearboxes are there depending on what the powerband looks like and a well done turbo 2300 will have a very FAT very broad powerband---if you don't fall for all the silly talk that bigger is always better.

So a common V8 box with a rear axle geared higher---to around 3.36 works nicely or better---gives you much more final drive options is the 2.95 gearset---it was Fords choice when they wanted a strong box in the 2wd Cossies, same 2.95 set except a shorter top. With the 2.95 gearset anything from 3.64 to 4,3 axle will work fine depending on what end use is...
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA
CALL =-> (206) 431-9696 <-= CALL

http://www.rallyrace.net/jvab/