Scorpio Master Cylinder & Pump into XR

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
John V
Level 7
Level 7

Scorpio Master Cylinder & Pump into XR

Post by John V »

<Edit - Split this off as it's own thread>
BAHAMACHARGER wrote:We have just had the same thing with our V6 Cosworth 24v XR4i. it turns out that when we fitted the braided brake lines, the issue was the hole diameter in the brake line it's self was way smaller then the OEM rubber and the two extra Brake line's made the master cylinder to small for the job. :roll: We have thought about fitting the Master cylinder and pump only from the Sierra ABS cars, as this is an Electric pump and No servo. The braking is way better than a normal Servo brake car, but you do have to cut out a small bit of the fire wall for the new system to bolt up. you will also need to swap out the peddal box too. :roll:
I've done the ABS master into a car just over there-> see it?
just a little key hole slot, 2 extra holes to drill and SAME PEDAL Assembly

EDIT: and I again stress it works fantastic.
The ordinary US Scorp ABS master is sooooooooper easy to install and wire up--just a big 12v supply to a relay and then to motor and wire in the pressure sensor so it runs the motor till pressure builds then shuts down and you're done.
It REALLY should be a more common mod here for Xratties especially since there is ZERO demand for used Scorp master cylinders and the thing is compact and GOOD.
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA
CALL =-> (206) 431-9696 <-= CALL

http://www.rallyrace.net/jvab/
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

And I would put this in my XR that does not have ABS to add ABS? I would assume(uh-oh) that If I wanted ABS, I would need the ABS comp from a Scorp?

Or are you suggesting that it would be a better booster, without functional ABS because it doesn't need any vacuum?
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
John V
Level 7
Level 7

Post by John V »

milehighXR wrote:And I would put this in my XR that does not have ABS to add ABS? I would assume(uh-oh) that If I wanted ABS, I would need the ABS comp from a Scorp?

Or are you suggesting that it would be a better booster, without functional ABS because it doesn't need any vacuum?
Well yes, assist hydraulically via a nice electric motor rather than spotty vacuum in a motor that um makes boost.
Screw the ABS, I have ABS foot and sensors in my ass and inner ears.

But nice brake assist with a nice weighted pedal, yummy.
All for 1 relay, drilling 2 holes and a little sawz-all action and just a couple of hard lines flared..

And power bleeding all for the icing on the cake.

It's brilliant. I got the idea from a Swede I was supplying some goodies to, said he did it on his rally Saffie 4x4 with big AP calipers---worked fine he said. So i did it on that white Cossie 4x4 powered Xratty car over there---->.

Couldn't do a conversion like that and run poxy little xratty brakes or the clunky PBRs, could I?
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA

coupelx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by coupelx »

John V wrote:
BAHAMACHARGER wrote:We have just had the same thing with our V6 Cosworth 24v XR4i. it turns out that when we fitted the braided brake lines, the issue was the hole diameter in the brake line it's self was way smaller then the OEM rubber and the two extra Brake line's made the master cylinder to small for the job. :roll: We have thought about fitting the Master cylinder and pump only from the Sierra ABS cars, as this is an Electric pump and No servo. The braking is way better than a normal Servo brake car, but you do have to cut out a small bit of the fire wall for the new system to bolt up. you will also need to swap out the peddal box too. :roll:
I've done the ABS master into a car just over there-> see it?
just a little key hole slot, 2 extra holes to drill and SAME PEDAL Assembly

EDIT: and I again stress it works fantastic.
The ordinary US Scorp ABS master is sooooooooper easy to install and wire up--just a big 12v supply to a relay and then to motor and wire in the pressure sensor so it runs the motor till pressure builds then shuts down and you're done.
It REALLY should be a more common mod here for Xratties especially since there is ZERO demand for used Scorp master cylinders and the thing is compact and GOOD.
ive wanted to do this since i red about it awhile back. i might have to source a scopio setup for my rear disc conversion this way i dont have to bleed the brakes twice which is about my least favorite thing to do.
1987 Xr4ti
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

John V wrote:
milehighXR wrote:And I would put this in my XR that does not have ABS to add ABS? I would assume(uh-oh) that If I wanted ABS, I would need the ABS comp from a Scorp?

Well yes, assist hydraulically via a nice electric motor rather than spotty vacuum in a motor that um makes boost.

All for 1 relay, drilling 2 holes and a little sawz-all action and just a couple of hard lines flared..

It's brilliant. I got the idea from a Swede I was supplying some goodies to, said he did it on his rally Saffie 4x4 with big AP calipers---worked fine he said. So i did it on that white Cossie 4x4 powered Xratty car over there---->.

Couldn't do a conversion like that and run poxy little xratty brakes or the clunky PBRs, could I?
Guess I'm hanging onto my Scorp master and pump, I've always hated the way the my brakes feel off boost...

I oughta place phone call and get some details from ya John.
Johnny

DCLXVI
John V
Level 7
Level 7

Post by John V »

milehighXR wrote:
John V wrote:

Guess I'm hanging onto my Scorp master and pump, I've always hated the way the my brakes feel off boost...

I oughta place phone call and get some details from ya John.
Sure, i don't bite..
We should get Sean Medcroft in to rattle my old brain what we did on hook ups on the relay, it was so simple i didn't write anything down and now i've gotten shall we say---overloaded from multi-tasking! Yeah that sounds good! Or Chronic Terminal Multi-tasking!
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA

Taps
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Taps »

I run it on mine, pipe works easy, wiring is easy and the brakes are ACE

thedrill
Level 4
Level 4

scorpio booster

Post by thedrill »

Does anyone know if the scorpio booster will allow clearance for the ford modular V8 motor? I know you will need some sort of hydroboost system as the "v" is huge and will not clear the valve covers.
Russ
Stable is vacant..
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: scorpio booster

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

thedrill wrote:Does anyone know if the scorpio booster will allow clearance for the ford modular V8 motor?
I was thinking of the very same question. On a related note, what are you using with your LS, or is that not actually installed yet?
Brad
thedrill
Level 4
Level 4

ls motor

Post by thedrill »

Hi brad, The LS motor was installed and running and driving around up until yesterday, I cant pass cali BAR testing with the engine trans combination, so I sold the engine to a customer at work to fit into his 66 chevelle, which I will be installing also.

I dont want to go the traditional easy "5.0" route , so I want to fit either a 4.6 modular motor or a lexus 4.0, or a Q45 infinity motor or even the 3.8 ford v6 supercharged, they are all pretty wide v8 motors apart from the v6 lol.. They have to be car engines and matching transmissions so It will pass the BAR inspection.. any other engine combos for suggestion?

As for brakes on the car, im using taurus rear calipers on scorpio rotors and for the front i'm using re-drilled svt focus rotors and dodge stealth twin piston calipers and a t-bird master (valve gutted on firewall)
Russ
Stable is vacant..
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Just leave Cali, it will make yer life sooooo much easier...
Johnny

DCLXVI
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: ls motor

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

thedrill wrote:As for brakes ... a t-bird master
So you're using a stock XR booster then, yes? That clears the LS engine okay?
Brad
thedrill
Level 4
Level 4

Re: ls motor

Post by thedrill »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
thedrill wrote:As for brakes ... a t-bird master
So you're using a stock XR booster then, yes? That clears the LS engine okay?
It clears the valve cover by a good half inch or so, the engine has been moved back about 2" 1/2 to 3.0 inches by cutting the tunnel and removing the heater box.
Russ
Stable is vacant..
thedrill
Level 4
Level 4

scorpio booster

Post by thedrill »

Went out to the local Junkyard today and picked up a scorpio booster. I trial fitted it alongside my LSx motor and it clears the valve cover ok.

As for wiring up the electric pump on the booster, Do you just wire in a relay to cut the power, using the switch side of the relay by connecting to the pressure switch on the booster body? So it cuts the pump when Full pressure is achieved.
Russ
Stable is vacant..
thedrill
Level 4
Level 4

scorpio booster

Post by thedrill »

Just found out that the scorpio booster is pretty much the same as they put on the xjs jaguar, looks different on the pedal end as the jag one has a clevis pin type fitting. Should be easier to get spares from the junkyards as the jag is more common than the scorpios.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990-199 ... ccessories
Russ
Stable is vacant..