Cossie Clone, New England Classics

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
billhpeloton

Post by billhpeloton »

From earlier postings it sounds like the car you describe at Carlisle.

I think there are some good people here who could work on it but I've got enough questions otherwise that I'm still leaning toward "no."
xr4man
Level 6
Level 6

Post by xr4man »

jasonty wrote:Wasn't this car at Carlisle one year? Trailered there, pushed off and trailered back?
no, you're thinking of john's sierra cosworth. it is no longer his and has changed hands many times now.

i'd have to agree with brad. if you are not a mechanic or at least know enough to learn how to mechanic on one specific car, then this is definately not for you.

of, i forgot to add that yes, peter is still around. i don't know his user name here, but on merkursport it's merkman23 i think.
ian the re-animator
billhpeloton

Post by billhpeloton »

I just wrote the owner and opted out. Too many open questions.

Thanks!

Bill
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

jasonty wrote:Wasn't this car at Carlisle one year? Trailered there, pushed off and trailered back?
2003 I believe. The year it rained forever, and then rained some more.
Brad
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
2003 I believe. The year it rained forever, and then rained some more.
Yup. The black cossie rep for sale was there in '03.
John's / Tommy's / not sure who has it now REAL black cossie firstshowed up to Carlisle in '05 and has returned a few times since.

Then there's that REAL moonstone cossie that keeps showing up at Carlisle :twisted:
John V
Level 7
Level 7

Post by John V »

csenior wrote:My 87 1/2 XR is a non sunroof car. It is referred to as "The Motorsport edition" which is just a classier way to say "Without a sunroof"

I agree with Brad. Probably a "Motorsport Edition" shell that someone cut and installed Cossie side windows in.

Now if it had crank windows.. That would make it really cool!
Then mine must be bitchin-er than all get out cause its a "base' shell (which is a less pretentious way of saying Motorsport shell) with no sunroof and lo and behold it has a Cosworth engine and 4x4 powertrain in it----
and that's probably a lot more fun than one in the ad---specialy considering one could get the whole motor/box/everything for less than half that price, just drop in.
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA
CALL =-> (206) 431-9696 <-= CALL

http://www.rallyrace.net/jvab/
pyropete125
Level 7
Level 7

Post by pyropete125 »

that is a xr with cosie stuff in it. it has been for sale for 10+ years [due to price IMHO]

the MCA pic at the top of the page is that car.

http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/profi ... ile&u=3298

DCVILLA i think said he worked on that car and can give you more info on it.

pete
89 xr4ti, LOTS'O'MODS. PICS OF MY XR, FOLVO STUFF, AND...
admiralbrown
Level 1
Level 1

Post by admiralbrown »

4. The body was professionally converted to the pillarless Sierra style for the rear windows
So it is not really a Cosworth but an XR4Ti with a 2 liter engine and no pop out windows.
My money speaks for my mouth, I bought Victoria's Cossie clone. With the Cossie limited slip differential and a 2.3 liter engine. The availability of engine parts made the decision for me.
1987 RS500 clone courtesy of the little blonde Merkur fairies of Minnesota
2000 Z3 most dependable, least practical car I could find
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 44 mpg
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5-door, the wife's car and the only automatic
dcvilla
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dcvilla »

Its a 3 Dollar bill. That car was owned by the late Hal Patrick of Nimrod Motorsport, it is a 1985 Merkur XR4TI. I put that YB drive train in to that shell in 1991/92. Peter Orlinski modded the car's exterior and suspension. He always did excellant work. In that time I made up a front suspension crossmember to get the car to sit straight. It has a plain jane XR interior and does not have the correct large window a pillar plastic nor rear cards. It is a collection of parts picked up at airports and cargo containers, nothing more. The car has been the possesion of several parties over the years and has been for sale in Stratford for years. By the way it had no sun roof and some called these cars "comp shell", nothing special. The Vin's stamped into that shell under the passenger seat, rear spare tire cage and windshield vin plate will identify it as an 85 XR. If that one is worth 18k then mine is worth 40k. Having driven the thing, in the day, you might take the suggestion of an old man, who might know something about these things, ...just walk away...
xrian
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrian »

It IS a sham when the person selling the car continuously tries to pass the car off as a real Cosworth. The latest add I saw had no mention of it being a converted Merkur at all.

Thankfully the person I knew that was interested found out before he paid any cash.

Hilarious that I can't sell the decked out Rally XR that would run circles around that car for $13k and that thing was going for $16 last time.

Shows how screwed up things have become.
Ian G-J
Ontario, Canada
billhpeloton

Post by billhpeloton »

Just so you know I did walk away from this and just bought a perfect 1989 BMW E30 M30. 100% OEM, no mods.

I think I have a thing for homologation specials.

Thanks for your help.