Aftermarket Speedos?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

Aftermarket Speedos?

Post by turboplz »

And not the bathing suit variety :P

I can't get my stock speedometer to fucntion properely anymore. I have taken it out a few times and "straightened" the gear but as soon as I do a WOT pull it binds again. The speedo cable is fine, it's just that gearing in the speedo.

Has anyone used an aftermarket speedometer with a t5 here? I've been looking on Summit's website and they have a few decently priced autometer units, but I'm not too sure what I'll have to do for connection to the trans. If I go with a mechanical unit, I don't think know if the auto cable will fit in there and the electrical sending unit is pricey.

Anyone have any experience with these?
Jason

89 Xr4ti..."Bronze Turd"...long term project/current garage queen

2014 Focus ST
Steve227
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Steve227 »

i dont have an answer to this but ill ask a buddy about it but if u find out before me let me know.
grve66
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grve66 »

I believe the Turbo Couple had a VSS or a T5 with one. and use a autometer electric speedo. or they even sell a universal bolt VSS for the t-5
turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by turboplz »

I think all the 4-banger mustangs came a VSS on the t5's. I need to take a look in the garage as I think I have the sender.
Jason

2014 Focus ST
xrian
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrian »

I'm using an Autometer electronic speedo in the rally car with the T5.
I grabbed a couple of VSS's at the wreckers. Some Mustangs had them, the Turbo Coupe for sure and a bunch of other cars.
It plugs into the side where a normal speedo cable would. Only 2 wire.
Easy to rig up.
Ian G-J
Ontario, Canada
turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by turboplz »

Awesome, thanks for the info on that!
Jason

2014 Focus ST
turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by turboplz »

Actually had another question. The Electric Speedo's, are they programmable? Meaning if you have different rear end gears, tire size, etc, can you program it so that your speed will be 100% accurate? I couldn't find anything on Summit's website saying that it was.
Jason

2014 Focus ST
BeefFajitas
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BeefFajitas »

I have an electronic speedo. It works great. It's progammable and totally accurate. I calculated the pulses/mile, input the number, and it's been dead on.

I'm using this: http://www.egauges.com/vdo_ind.asp?Type ... PN=437-153

with this: http://www.egauges.com/vdo_indS.asp?Sen ... PN=340-013

I'd show you a picture of my gauge cluster but my work interwebz is extremely slow right now.
-Nate
'85 Merk. Back together. Only thing stock is the head and block.
xrian
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrian »

Yes, the Autometer one is VERY easy to calibrate. Find a 1 mile spot, press and hold the button for a couple seconds, drive the marked mile, stop, press button, done. Just follow the instructions.
Takes about 5 minutes total.
Nice if you ever change tire size, gear ratio etc. like we have on the Rally car.

turboplz wrote:Actually had another question. The Electric Speedo's, are they programmable? Meaning if you have different rear end gears, tire size, etc, can you program it so that your speed will be 100% accurate? I couldn't find anything on Summit's website saying that it was.
Ian G-J
Ontario, Canada
olddog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by olddog »

There is a speedo shop in town that did a rebuild on my 72 mustang speedo, just like new when finished. They have a lot of parts.

$130 5 years ago, http://www.speedometershop.com/

as a possible option.

<S>
Riverside, SoCal
xr super n00b
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xr super n00b »

does all this helpful info apply for the v8 t5? cause thats what i have. and im looking at using an aftermarket speedo.
xrian
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrian »

A T5 is a T5. All the same for speedo attachment.
Ian G-J
Ontario, Canada
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

xrian wrote:A T5 is a T5. All the same for speedo attachment.
Almost true. '98+ factory T-5's are setup for electronic speedos only, with a different mounting configuration from the earlier boxes. I'm not sure if the VSS for these has the same output as the earlier ones. If it does, and you're set on using an electronic speedo, and you're okay with 3.35 -.68 gearing, it might be worth looking for one of these.
Brad