Checking out an 89 2.3 Mustang for parts - what should I loo

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
woojo

Checking out an 89 2.3 Mustang for parts - what should I loo

Post by woojo » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:17 pm

Hi everyone,

A local guy is parting an 89 2.3 notchback mustang. I'm thinking of converting my XR to a serpentine setup.

Will any of it work?

What else should I try to snag?

He seems pretty reasonable with prices.
2004 Subaru OBW MT (95k) - "The lesmobile" slow, but capable
1987 Merkur XR4Ti (49k) - fixing electrical issues & getting it running right

deathbypsi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deathbypsi » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:16 pm

roller cam and followers
temp sensor fitting in heater hose
IAC
T5 if it has one
Brian R.
86 SVO

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:02 pm

deathbypsi wrote:roller cam and followers
temp sensor fitting in heater hose
Nope, and nope. An '89 wouldn't have either.

As for the pulleys, it depends. The crank pulley will only be of value to you if you're going with a single belt on the inner track. That generally means driver-side only accessories - none of the Ranger stuff that rides on the outer track.

I've used the inlet elbow hose off a '87 - '90 Mustang - that's about the only other thing that comes to mind.
Brad

woojo

Post by woojo » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:52 am

I see...

I figured I would take ALL of the accessories brackets and tensioners off the car, including the AC compressor, which my merkur lacks. I would like to have AC.
2004 Subaru OBW MT (95k) - "The lesmobile" slow, but capable
1987 Merkur XR4Ti (49k) - fixing electrical issues & getting it running right

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:36 am

woojo wrote:I figured I would take ALL of the accessories brackets and tensioners off the car, including the AC compressor, which my merkur lacks. I would like to have AC.
It doesn't have the same compressor as the XR, so that would be a pretty big project - not really worth the effort, even if the stuff was free. You'd be better off getting the compressor and bracket from a '91 - '93 Mustang, which DOES use the same compressor as the XR, you'd just need to use the original manifold and lines from the XR.

But frankly, getting functional A/C back in a car that's had it removed can be costly, in time, money, and frustration. I've done it myself, so I speak from experience, and I wouldn't do it again. If this is your sole vehicle, I can understand the need and desire a bit more, but make sure you really know what you're getting into before starting.
Brad