neg. rear camber with all stock parts.

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
rab
Level 2
Level 2

neg. rear camber with all stock parts.

Post by rab »

im very new to the merkur, but i bought 2 last year and im thinking im going to start
mess with the good one, one was for parts only a roll over.

well looking at them they both appear to have a good amount of neg camber in the rear.
do these car come with that way, or is it just worn out parts, or what?????

im guess both cars have oe/stock parts still on them as they both are under 80,000 miles and unmolested.
xR4rally
Level 3
Level 3

Re: neg. rear camber with all stock parts.

Post by xR4rally »

Due to the design of the semi-trailing arm rear suspension, as it sags the top of the wheel pulls inward. You most likely have worn or sagging bushings, springs, or both. This is a common problem with these cars.
There is plenty of info on this forum about it and some fixes. Also check with the encyclopedia and there may also be some info on the mc2 website.
"More horsepower makes you faster in the straights. Less weight makes you faster everywhere."
-Colin Chapman
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

I'd bet money on the diff mount being a major cause of that as well.
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

Yeah you can blame it on 20+ year old rubber bushings. A visit to MC2racing.com can help fix these. But the cheapest way would just be to shim the carriers to correct the camber and toe.
rab
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rab »

anyone know the exact bushings that usually cause this?
im sure i will change them all with poly or better along
with the springs and shocks.
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

The rear diff mount is the main one. As well as sagged springs
blizboy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by blizboy »

I'm at a loss as to how the rear diff mount being bad can cause negative camber problems........
Sagging springs is the most obvious or short aftermarket springs.
John
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

The rear beam is connected to the chassis via the beam mount bushings and the rear diff mount. If the rear-most connection (diff mount) is bad/sagged, then that effectively moves the beam closer to the chassis allowing the springs to compress more, acting as if they are sagged. or at least that's how i understand it simply.
noslack2mack
Level 2
Level 2

Post by noslack2mack »

Yeah, right on. It's a funky she-devil under the rear-ness of one of these. I'm now up to four of them and I've been transplanting one diff to another this week. Weeeeiiiird rear end. It's like a freaking Mercedes or something. Never seen one quite like it. When you undo the rear body mount on the diff, the whole thing swings down like a ramp...or better yet a DRAWBRIDGE and hands you the rear end. Like, "here's the chunk you ordered, Sir". Damn polite Europeans and their swingarms.
Ronald Reagan was the best thing that ever happened to this country.

-Mike
rab
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rab »

Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

The one you want is the rear diff mount (first link). They are currently sold out but are working on a newer version which should be available real soon.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Many of us would be fully satisfied with the "old" version [^^] if it were still available... Any new diff mount is better than a used/failed diff mount. :P

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

Ed Lijewski wrote:Many of us would be fully satisfied with the "old" version [^^] if it were still available...
Well, it might make you feel better to know that the new version is like the old version, except it's new. And different.

If you want a hint at how similar/different they are, this video provides a hint or two: http://youtu.be/fPMeAkXklo8
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
DSPXR4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DSPXR4ti »

anglin wrote:
Ed Lijewski wrote:Many of us would be fully satisfied with the "old" version [^^] if it were still available...
Well, it might make you feel better to know that the new version is like the old version, except it's new. And different.

If you want a hint at how similar/different they are, this video provides a hint or two: http://youtu.be/fPMeAkXklo8
So with that Vid. I couldn't hear what your making?

Ben
85 DSP XR4ti, 2009 Solo 2 National Champion, burns muffler, 3in exhaust, Mc2 Full suspension, 325 hps & 328tqr, GMR Intake, Wilwood brakes, Eaton LSD, stand alone ECU. Working on being SM National Champion.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

anglin wrote:

Veddy interesting! (Now I've got negative camber of my eyes looking fruitlessly for that "hint". :-)

I'm assuming the new diff mount was in a rear corner of your workbench in the early frames of the video, right? :-/ :-D

J/K

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!