water intercooler inplace of battery?

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
FoMoCo

water intercooler inplace of battery?

Post by FoMoCo »

just blew my turbo and starting an overhaul new manifold turbo exhaust bov and wondering if i swap the battery to the trunk like i planned anyway if a water intercooler will fit in its place anyone else tried this? wondering if the pipe would go ok and clearance issues and still on the hunt for a good cheap turbo if anyones got any ideas
wicked93gs
Level 4
Level 4

Re: water intercooler inplace of battery?

Post by wicked93gs »

Its a good idea(for those who like water cooling) but it all honesty water to air intercoolers may well be compact enough to fit in same location an svo or tbird intercooler could without the power robbing bends that would be needed to put it in place of the stock battery(remember the rule of thumb is a 1-2% power loss for every 90 degree bend)
'66 Mustang coupe 4.6l DOHC, T45 etc
'77 Celica Liftback GT SRT engine swap/MA5 trans swap
'87 XR4Ti b234f+he351ve+t5 in progress
'88 Silver XR4Ti daily driver(Holset HY35, Large NPR FMIC, generic BOV, etc)
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

Where did you her that rule of thumb?
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

FoMoCo wrote:just blew my turbo and starting an overhaul new manifold turbo exhaust bov and wondering if i swap the battery to the trunk like i planned anyway if a water intercooler will fit in its place anyone else tried this? wondering if the pipe would go ok and clearance issues and still on the hunt for a good cheap turbo if anyones got any ideas
Click the link below in my sig, we stock rebuilt T3 center sections cheaper than anywhere else. Also have good used turbos on the shelf, too!
lucky87
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lucky87 »

I have been considering this myself, but ultimately i might decide against is simply because there is a lot of heat given off by the turbo/exhaust, and that would heat soak the water, defeating the purpose of a AWIC. sure you could make a heat shield out of some sheetmetal and fiberglass fabric, but also as mentioned earlier to get it to fit in that area you would probably have to use 2-4 90 degree bends. actually i guess that depends on the outlets of the intercooler in question. a simpler set up would a be a normal air-air fmic, but the awic has obvious benefits, and some drawbacks, the main one being that it is more complicated and therefore more things can, and will probably go wrong. That being said i really want to do this myself and once you free up that area it kind of does beg for something to fill it in.
wicked93gs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wicked93gs »

Esteban wrote:Where did you her that rule of thumb?

That good old standby of turbo engine builders everywhere..Maximum Boost by Corky Bell....he has been right about everything else I have incorporated into various turbo systems I have built from wastegate angles to exhaust hangers so I am taking that one on faith.

Back on the topic though, I agree that placing the intercooler right over the manifold is not ideal heat soak wise...but with a heat shield and some type of turbo blanket the temp would likely drop enough to be worth it. If you are looking for a use for the battery spot you could place the resevoir and AWIC pump there...it should hold maybe 3 gallons. ..Or for those drag race days 2 gallons of water and 1 gallons worth of ice(slightly less technically since ice takes up more space)
FoMoCo

Post by FoMoCo »

i am loving the merkur world have never gotten replies so fast so thanks i was planning on using one of the U shaped coolers so figured one 90 off the turbo into it then a slightly bant pipe with bov right into intake. and i did plan on building some kind of heat sheild sort of like whats already there for the battery figured i could use those mounts in fact and since im replacing the stock manifold figured id wrap it anyway the car does build alot of heat which also blew the coolant tank so that needs repair to. im in lebanon and just bought this car a few months ago and i have fallen in love with it planning on doin some autocrossing its seems perfect for it
wicked93gs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wicked93gs »

The big reason I never use air to water intercoolers is that water weighs 8lbs per gallon...then you have the weight of the pump the heat exchanger...and the piping itself...there is also the constant threat of water leaking into the air charge and water locking the engine....but someday I plan on building a system anyway.
lucky87
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lucky87 »

The interesting thing is thatyou actually WANT long water lines with an awic because it helps with the cooling process. you should try putting the water tank in the back inside the spare wheel space. as for heat shielding, a turbo blanket combined with a metal/fiberglass cloth would probably be sufficient. My theory on building my heat blanket would be to have the metal side facing the heat and at least 2-4 layers of fiberglass cloth as insulation held in by a wire mesh. The weight of the awic system is another draw back but it makes up for it in compactness. also HOW did you even FIND an xr4ti in lebanon? (unless you have the xr4i which i THINk has a different engine, i may be wrong) also, welcome to the club!
pyropete125
Level 7
Level 7

Post by pyropete125 »

FoMoCo wrote:i am loving the merkur world have never gotten replies so fast so thanks
that's because we are inside too trying to figure out whats wrong with our cars too, lol.
89 xr4ti, LOTS'O'MODS. PICS OF MY XR, FOLVO STUFF, AND...
FoMoCo

Post by FoMoCo »

found it in mass once i found out what it was i was hooked im all ford and foxbody couldnt touch this thing in the corners that rubber ujoint was blown and it shakes if u get on it but dont break traction when in 1st gear lil in 2nd i replaced the ujoing helped dramaticly with the shaking over 85 gotten it to 125 or so now without it shaking but still does it in 1st gear. other then that i need a new hatch new front fender flare which opmd screwed me on when they sent me a rear and wouldnt contact me and a new coolant tank. and im about to pull the p/s out if anyone knows how that feels id love to know my ranger with the 2.3 aint bad and they weigh the same so well c
Camaro5690
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Camaro5690 »

FoMoCo wrote:found it in mass once i found out what it was i was hooked im all ford and foxbody couldnt touch this thing in the corners that rubber ujoint was blown and it shakes if u get on it but dont break traction when in 1st gear lil in 2nd i replaced the ujoing helped dramaticly with the shaking over 85 gotten it to 125 or so now without it shaking but still does it in 1st gear. other then that i need a new hatch new front fender flare which opmd screwed me on when they sent me a rear and wouldnt contact me and a new coolant tank. and im about to pull the p/s out if anyone knows how that feels id love to know my ranger with the 2.3 aint bad and they weigh the same so well c
Its not that bad without P/S, but it will be more difficult than your Ranger as I doubt the Ranger is 2.5 turns lock to lock.
Adam Wilson
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

wicked93gs wrote:
That good old standby of turbo engine builders everywhere..Maximum Boost by Corky Bell...
Ask anyone who really knows their stuff and they'll tell you that there are many errors and incorrect assumptions in Corky's book. Turbocharging by Hugh MacInnes seems to be the preferred resource. Both books are rather dated at this point, so they're best used as theory reference tools at this point.
Brad
wicked93gs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wicked93gs »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
wicked93gs wrote:
That good old standby of turbo engine builders everywhere..Maximum Boost by Corky Bell...
Ask anyone who really knows their stuff and they'll tell you that there are many errors and incorrect assumptions in Corky's book. Turbocharging by Hugh MacInnes seems to be the preferred resource. Both books are rather dated at this point, so they're best used as theory reference tools at this point.
This may be true..however the math is pretty solid...and thats where the 1-2% number comes from. Out of curiosity though...what errors or incorrect assumptions are you talkng about in particular? I cant think of any offhand that I can point to and say "thats wrong". I suppose its possuble there are errors in his formulas I dont know about...not being able to verify independently.