FMIC Piping Kits

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Metzger_Merkur
Level 3
Level 3

FMIC Piping Kits

Post by Metzger_Merkur » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:50 pm

I didnt even know these types of kits excisted. $99 for the piping, then score an intercooler off CL for $50 and your set.

http://www.amazon.com/Godspeed-Universa ... cooler+kit

Mike Metzger

wicked93gs
Level 4
Level 4

Re: FMIC Piping Kits

Post by wicked93gs » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:54 pm

Yep...been using them for years...the only way to go
'66 Mustang coupe 4.6l DOHC, T45 etc
'77 Celica Liftback GT SRT engine swap/MA5 trans swap
'87 XR4Ti b234f+he351ve+t5 in progress
'88 Silver XR4Ti daily driver(Holset HY35, Large NPR FMIC, generic BOV, etc)

Metzger_Merkur
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Metzger_Merkur » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:55 pm

Nice, anyone used this particular kit and know what other "peices" are needed to make it work with our cars. (And a stock intake setup)
Also, from the looks of the pic, you'll need someone to weld on a clamp thingy(technical term) in order to bolt it to the turbo. Right?
Mike Metzger

Metzger_Merkur
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Metzger_Merkur » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:59 pm

This is interesting, almost like they just turned the turbo counter clockwise and rebolted it? Giving enough room to run a clean pipe off the intake.

Mike Metzger

hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:20 pm

Metzger_Merkur wrote:This is interesting, almost like they just turned the turbo counter clockwise and rebolted it? Giving enough room to run a clean pipe off the intake.
Yes, easy to do (just loosen the bolts on the locking plate for the compressor housing.

Two things to note though:
1. You either need to line up a new set of holes with the old location of the wastegate bracket or you'll need to fab a new bracket
2. The factory bolt-on turbo inlet is angled to the fender so turning the compressor will change that angle. You will need a straight outlet and 45* angled coupler or similar.
Joe
1985 Nimbus Grey XR
2017 Ford Focus RS

Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:46 pm

Good deal on the tubing. Spare yourself the headaches, buy better connecters, or use a length of truck rad hose, and cut into the lengths you need.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!

hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:53 pm

Mike McCreight wrote:Good deal on the tubing. Spare yourself the headaches, buy better connecters, or use a length of truck rad hose, and cut into the lengths you need.
X2. I buy the long sections from Silicone Intakes and cut as needed.
Joe
1985 Nimbus Grey XR
2017 Ford Focus RS

Camaro5690
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Camaro5690 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:53 pm

Mike McCreight wrote:Good deal on the tubing. Spare yourself the headaches, buy better connecters, or use a length of truck rad hose, and cut into the lengths you need.
Honestly, Id hold off till you have the kit in your hands to judge this. My Ebay Intercooler and piping kit came with 5 ply silicon couplers. Same quality as what silicone intakes sells, I know because i had to buy adapters for the turbo and throttlebody from silicone intakes.

I would however suggest quality t-bolts, unless you dont mind rusty tbolts......./rage a month after install.
Adam Wilson

wicked93gs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wicked93gs » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:19 am

I have never had a problem with the couplers or tbolts after the install of one of these kits..tested up to about 20psi. I am sure truck radiator hose is better...but I am unsure it comes in different sizes(I use 2.5" on my celica and 2.75" on my 88 XR). I am about to do some intake manifold and intercooler piping changes on the celica though and am definately thinking of changing the couplers to radiator hose if I can find it in that diameter
'66 Mustang coupe 4.6l DOHC, T45 etc
'77 Celica Liftback GT SRT engine swap/MA5 trans swap
'87 XR4Ti b234f+he351ve+t5 in progress
'88 Silver XR4Ti daily driver(Holset HY35, Large NPR FMIC, generic BOV, etc)

RatFink
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RatFink » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:11 am

I prefer to give my money to Americans for something like this, I have found the products from HPS to be good quality for a reasonable price. There are higher quality options, but the price is accordingly higher.
HPS
I usually pick up my bend kits from Columbia River. They have some nice complete aluminum bend sets for a reasonable price.
Columbia River
Daniel Llewellyn

"You can never turn a pig into a race horse, but with enough development you can have a pretty damn fast pig".
Randy Pobst

I just love this guy:
hEaT wrote:Bit more work, but saved me $100 and I got to learn things, cut things, burn things and hammer things. All in all, a solid move.

Camaro5690
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Camaro5690 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:18 am

RatFink wrote:I prefer to give my money to Americans for something like this, I have found the products from HPS to be good quality for a reasonable price. There are higher quality options, but the price is accordingly higher.
HPS
I usually pick up my bend kits from Columbia River. They have some nice complete aluminum bend sets for a reasonable price.
Columbia River
Have you used Ebay stuff before? Or silicone intakes before? Im just curious. Because alot of the people I hear saying things like "I prefer American", or calling it cheap chinese ebay junk, infact have no experience with the actual product itself.

And HPS is way high priced. 11 bucks for on 2.5 inch coupler. I have 7 couplers in my set up, I couldnt have pipes welded so I had to make do with multiple joints. Using those two vendors would have tripled the cost of my intercooler install. And for what? I can't see any reason for paying double to triple the price for something that performs the same function.
Adam Wilson

KhanTyranitar
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KhanTyranitar » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:37 pm

Agreed, I am all for American made products, however, the price for those units is just outrageous. I don't paying more for a better quality product, but the Chinese product looks nice and will do the job. The American made product is more than 2x the cost without being 2x the quality. Seems some companies want to make more money selling less. If they would lower their price to a reasonable level, they could compete, but looking at those prices as it stands, no way would I buy it.
1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbocoupe
Fully rebuilt engine, ported head w/inserts, oversized valves, ranger cam, matched intake, 57 trim turbo, custom FMIC, Walbro fuel pump, Kirban FPR, #60 injectors, PIMP, Stinger exhaust, Tru-Performance cat, CAI w/Pro-Dry filter
1986 Merkur XR4Ti
Work in progress

DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:42 pm

Am I the only one who sees irony in the "Buy American" comments in a forum for German-built Fords? Granted, the money from them eventually would find its way to Dearborn, some 25+ years ago, and I do understand the sentiment, it just strikes me as funny here.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?

KhanTyranitar
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KhanTyranitar » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:40 pm

Agreed, if we could afford to, maybe we should take a buy German stance.
1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbocoupe
Fully rebuilt engine, ported head w/inserts, oversized valves, ranger cam, matched intake, 57 trim turbo, custom FMIC, Walbro fuel pump, Kirban FPR, #60 injectors, PIMP, Stinger exhaust, Tru-Performance cat, CAI w/Pro-Dry filter
1986 Merkur XR4Ti
Work in progress

Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:09 pm

Unless there's been changes made, and I'm not saying there hasn't, the typical Ebay stuff will show cracks in less than 12 months under the hood of an XR. Silicone is like stainless steel. It's just a name. Ask those rusty "stainless" clamps.
There's a reason the good stuff costs more.
I bought some Silicone Intakes stuff this build, mainly because I couldn't find the oddball angles and one oddball transition I needed in 3". The 3 pieces I bought weigh (and cost!) less than the one Goodridge 135 bend I have coming out of the turbo. Seems to be holding so far.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!