instrument cluster lights

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
f1rules

Re: instrument cluster lights

Post by f1rules » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:34 pm

Thanks BRYXR4TI.
I tried soldering them back on to the twist bulb socket but am having a hard time doing so.
Does anybody know the part number for the instrument twist bulb socket (qty of 6)?
Thanks,
Luis
1988 Merkur XR4ti

In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Post by In XS 7 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:18 am

I think it will be easier to just get a whole good used cluster panel, they are not to expensive. Just talk to Jeff at merkurmidwest.com or Mike at merkurdepot.com they are very good vendors. Just my humble opinion.
Miguel.
89 XR4Ti Monique; Waking up a real "Night/Mare-Coor".
T5, NPR IC, PIMP ECU, Walbro 255, Dual piston BOV, Manual BC, 3" exhaust, One piece Aluminum drive-shaft, mc2 LSD, Boport 1.5 cam, Ported and polish head, big valves, 80# injectors, Bob's log, (soon HY35).

jkxr4ti
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jkxr4ti » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:15 am

When trying to solder in bulbs to the existing twist lock sockets there are a few things that help. Bend the leads on the bulb down away from the bulb body. Use some emery paper on the bulb leads first, or you can scrape the oxidation off gently with an xacto knife. Next tin (solder individually) both the bulb leads and the tabs on the sockets. It may help to use some extra flux here, but not the plumbing kind! After both surfaces are tinned then solder the bulb into the socket.

Doing this is slightly difficult because the bulb leads don't take solder well.
I've done this to several of my cars over the years. That being said if I needed to get another one working I would probably go with LEDs.
Merkur....Its German for Mutt....Mustang, Saab, Volvo, Lincoln, Contour, Cummins... and the list goes on.

Jeremy Kemp

1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI

DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:50 am

David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?

BRYXR4TI
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BRYXR4TI » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:55 pm

f1rules wrote:Thanks BRYXR4TI.
I tried soldering them back on to the twist bulb socket but am having a hard time doing so.
Does anybody know the part number for the instrument twist bulb socket (qty of 6)?
Thanks,
Luis
The way we soldered them was to take very fine copper wire and wrap the bulb lead to the tin then solder the fine copper wire
i had all mine done like this worked well
1986 XR4Ti