instrument cluster lights

XR4Ti / Sierra / Sierra Cosworth Discussions - Questions, problem resolution, general talk, technical tips and modifications.
Merkur Club web site
DirtyMerk85
Level 3
Level 3

instrument cluster lights

Post by DirtyMerk85 »

Replaced all the bulbs (which were def blown) with 194 bulbs and 're-soldered connections and still nothing..

Checked the fuse under the hood and that's fine..is there another fuse for those lights somewhere or do I just have a faulty cluster?
-Matt

Got Boost?

1985 XR4TI
Nimbus Gray
T5 transmission, cone filter, MBC (16 psi)
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Re: instrument cluster lights

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Check or replace the two bulbs in the digital clock. If either is defective the entire dash light circuit may nit work.

YMMV ;-)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
DirtyMerk85
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DirtyMerk85 »

Ed Lijewski wrote:Check or replace the two bulbs in the digital clock. If either is defective the entire dash light circuit may nit work.

YMMV ;-)

Seriously? Wow lovely German electronics lol..those are def out as well so I will give that a shot, thanks!
-Matt

Got Boost?

1985 XR4TI
Nimbus Gray
xr4man
Level 6
Level 6

Post by xr4man »

i don't see how that could be since i've not even had my clock in the car for almost 10 years.
ian the re-animator
m7stic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by m7stic »

Is your dimmer switch bad?
:lol:
DirtyMerk85
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DirtyMerk85 »

Dimmer switch..def possibility lol..any way of bypassing it or testing it to see? The bulbs were def blown so I just figured that was why but idk..these things are electrical nightmares!
-Matt

Got Boost?

1985 XR4TI
Nimbus Gray
m7stic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by m7stic »

easy test is roll the dimmer back and forth a few times. If your cluster lights flash or come on, you know the issue. If nothing, try swapping in a different one.

Of course, you could always pull out a test light and start stabbing things. Then again, having the wiring diagrams make this method more effective.

Good luck.
DirtyMerk85
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DirtyMerk85 »

Actually it prob would have helped if I actually plugged the dimmer switch back in before I tested the lights lmao..nevermind guys ill try it again haha
-Matt

Got Boost?

1985 XR4TI
Nimbus Gray
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

xr4man wrote:i don't see how that could be since i've not even had my clock in the car for almost 10 years.
Removing the clock doesn't replicate the [potential] problem. I've had two instances where blown bulbs in XR dash clocks caused the fuse to blow: one with the OEM digital and one with the Euro analog/digital. It seems it's possible for a bulb there to fail in such a way that the circuit is shorted (yes, I know; it doesn't seem logical). Many people pointed to the rheostat switch as the likely source of the problem but it wasn't in those instances for me (it could be in others...). I found the bulbs to be the problem by trial and error--testing every bulb for integrity and ultimately noting that when new clock bulbs were installed the dash lights operated as they should.

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
m7stic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by m7stic »

Ed Lijewski wrote:
xr4man wrote:i don't see how that could be since i've not even had my clock in the car for almost 10 years.
Removing the clock doesn't replicate the [potential] problem. I've had two instances where blown bulbs in XR dash clocks caused the fuse to blow: one with the OEM digital and one with the Euro analog/digital. It seems it's possible for a bulb there to fail in such a way that the circuit is shorted (yes, I know; it doesn't seem logical). Many people pointed to the rheostat switch as the likely source of the problem but it wasn't in those instances for me (it could be in others...). I found the bulbs to be the problem by trial and error--testing every bulb for integrity and ultimately noting that when new clock bulbs were installed the dash lights operated as they should.

YMMV 8)
I actually had a bulb short out and (in turn) burn up about 6 feet of wiring harness. Really crappy experience.
thebronze
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thebronze »

Thats Your problem.... lights won't work with out the dimmer plugged in....... D'oh
Kevin
88 VW Cabby...........Starbucks poses by ME
Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid.
-John Wayne
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

thebronze wrote:Thats Your problem.... lights won't work with out the dimmer plugged in....... D'oh
+1
DirtyMerk85
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DirtyMerk85 »

Lights work much better when you actually connect the dimmer switch lol :D

Thanks guys
-Matt

Got Boost?

1985 XR4TI
Nimbus Gray
f1rules

Post by f1rules »

Does anybody know the specs for the instrument cluster light bulbs?
Part number? etc.?
My son just bought an 88 XR4ti and half of the instrument cluster is lit and no back light for the digital clock.
Thanks in advance!
1988 Merkur XR4ti
BRYXR4TI
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BRYXR4TI »

f1rules wrote:Does anybody know the specs for the instrument cluster light bulbs?
Part number? etc.?
My son just bought an 88 XR4ti and half of the instrument cluster is lit and no back light for the digital clock.
Thanks in advance!
I would think it would be easier to get 194 or 158 bulbs and resolder them in
1986 XR4Ti